1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The Demise of April’s Flatlanders Truckfest

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 03:27 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
The Demise of April’s Flatlanders Truckfest

It’s with a sad heart that I am pulling the plug on Flatlanders Truckfest this year. It was solely due to lack of interest. Maybe it was; the venue, too early, no interest in a Mid West get together, a distaste for having to negotiate St Louis. But I tried and had info out (almost a year) in pleanty of time for any and all that wanted to come to make arrangements and participate.
I would still entertain suggestions and would try to put an event together if you all show interest.
We really are missing out because while driving over to cancel today everything is starting to sprout, the migratorybirds were passing thru and the big muddy (Mississippi) was in it’s glory with car ferry’s and barges going across and up and down it.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:03 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I thought you had at least a dozen people confirmed? Real sorry to hear this.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:17 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
No! Only One confirmed and made reservations. I had several maybes and a few “ I might try to make it for a day” but not enough to count on or keep the rooms locked down for. Of course the venue is a business and they don’t wanna give up space if they aren’t showing a profit.
i was looking forward to visiting with everyone but maybe we’ll catch up with each other at the Grand Nationals.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:02 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
I’ve been in BJ’s shoes trying to pull together a get together - unsuccessfully. Many years ago, long before the original Truckstock, a former member of the forum would have an annual central Illinois garage tour at his place. After a few years he chose to no longer do it, so I stepped up to try to get a group together. I didn’t yet have a shop to tour, so tried to get a group together for lunch at a centrally located car/truck themed restaurant. Two of us showed up. Either I couldn’t schedule it to fit guy’s other commitments, or it was too far to travel, who knows. We both had a nice lunch. Since then we’ve had reasonable success at Rob’s place in Bloomington/Normal, and at Bob’s place up in Milwaukee. But I know the frustration BJ is feeling. I fell into the “I’ll try to make it for a day” catagory. And would still if the St.Louis area guys want to meet for a long lunch sometime. Stu

Old 03-30-2018, 08:34 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
It’d be nice if we could drive our Trucks to the Lunch Stu. I was hoping to have one of my 56s ready for Flatlanders Truckfest. It would be a stretch but it gave me something to shoot for.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:47 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
If driving one of my old trucks was to be expected I doubt I’ll ever meet that test. A M-H isn’t a road warrior, even assuming it someday gets its body put back on. But I’ll still show up in an oldish F-250 if it can be pulled off. Stu.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:46 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Got ya Stu.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:17 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Heah there BJ, Ive been watching as you put a lot of time and effort into trying to put this meet together never giving up, not once, and I applaud you for all your hard work.. One thing you have to know is the out come has nothing to do with your planning, you have been on top of this thing all the way. Reps for your hard work my friend.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:56 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BJ I really wanted to make it to this but life has gotten in the way. Work has taken an unexpected turn and I have to be in WI for a few days. The beast needs a few minor things done to it that I’ve put off because of the weather. The wife has spring projects she wants done. In other words I’m like everyone else wanting but not able to be there. Thank you for trying. You had good ideas for a fun long weekend. Hopefully you will think about doing this again and it will be a better time frame for a bunch of people to attend. Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:50 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Thanks Jimmy and Dave. I was a bit bummed out yesterday but it’s water under the bridge now. Sure wish the rain would stop so I can get back to work on the truck.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:35 AM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 549 Likes on 264 Posts
BJ, I tried to host a picnic the last 2 years, but not enough interest also. I guess we're just too busy. Dennis

Old 03-31-2018, 01:03 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I wish I could have fully committed too...I just wasn't able to. I am now a Facility Security Officer for my place of Employment. Dealing with Dept of Homeland Security with us being directly on the bank of the Illinois River. I am 1 of 2 available. Sometimes it has to be business over pleasure to insure employment security. In short...I'm more concerned about business before pleasure. But I really do enjoy our meets. BJ don't take it personally. I was planning to come down, at least, for the day Saturday. But there was a potential conflict with staying overnight, due to my job.
I'm really sorry...
​​​

Old 03-31-2018, 02:07 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
It’s all good Jeff. I was going to have to put in lots of long hours to have one of my 56s ready.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:07 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
BJ, I really regret not being able to make it. My work life has changed considerably since the first few meets. At the time of the first few I had my own business and was able to work out the time to go but then everything took a dive. I worked for a few other companies since and again at the beginning of this year I was able to start up my business with a lot of potential work coming but again, that didn't work out and I had to look for work elsewhere. With the failing business we ran into other problems which just made it impossible to do much of anything. My wife and I never do anything travel wise. My wife is not a very social person and it took a little to get her to drive with me in a 60 year old truck 800 miles to attend the first meet but after she saw what a great group of people who attended she decided she really enjoyed it and wanted to go to every meet possible.

Just wanted to let you know we know what it takes to arrange these things and if possible we would have been there. Hopefully next year will be better.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:31 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Life is crazy Bob, I get it. I thought once I retired everything was going to be easy peasy but not so much. We had great plans to travel and enjoy vacations we didn’t take while we both were working. But it ain’t all roses. We started helping my Mother & Dad move closer to us and sell their house, them my Dad, with Alzheimer’s, passed away and my wife ended up with the big “C”. Much of my time is now involved in hospital trips and errands. I often wonder how I had time to work. I was really hoping to visit with everyone and enjoy their trucks, but it is what it is. Everyone is busy, even in retirement.

Quick Reply: The Demise of April’s Flatlanders Truckfest