Rebuild an F4 in 60 Days - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rebuild an F4 in 60 Days

Old 04-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Jafo56
Elder User
Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.

I'm hurrying as well!...... 1949 f-4

Old 04-07-2018, 08:13 PM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by acl9865 View Post

How much of a tight spot am I in?

Also, how much rotational play should the gear stick have? I can rotate the level between 6 and 7 oclock freely before it reaches the end of its travel. Is that normal?
Alex, I have several of those bearing retainers. E-mail me if you are interested. The pin that locates the stick is probably worn. The pin groove in the stick ball wears, the pin wears and the hole in the transmission top will get egg shaped from the pin. You can widen the groove in the ball and ream the top for a larger pin to tighten everything up.
Mark

Old 04-07-2018, 08:16 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4 View Post
Alex, I have several of those bearing retainers. E-mail me if you are interested.
Mark
Mark, I tried to give you reps for offering Alex a quick solution to his broken bearing retainer. But of course, FTE won't allow that until I "spread it around" to those who don't deserve reps.

I swear that's going to drive me away from here for good. And probably there are those who think that would be great...

Old 04-07-2018, 08:22 PM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Joe! It frustrates me as well. I've tried to give Raytasch and several others here reps numerous times for all the help they have given me, and it tells me the same thing. It is good to see you posting here again!
Mark

Old 04-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Thanks Joe! It frustrates me as well. I've tried to give Raytasch and several others here reps numerous times for all the help they have given me, and it tells me the same thing. It is good to see you posting here again!
Mark
Sorry Alex, but this goes back a ways. Mark, I haven't been around much lately, but I started trying to catch up, and then this thorn in my side pops up again. I complained about it many months ago, but obviously no one in authority gives a damn.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:22 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
It's like every kid gets a trophy! But some kids don't deserve a trophy.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Originally Posted by abe View Post
It's like every kid gets a trophy! But some kids don't deserve a trophy.
Exactly. But now let's give Alex back his thread.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:30 AM
acl9865
Senior User
acl9865 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Alex, I have several of those bearing retainers. E-mail me if you are interested. The pin that locates the stick is probably worn. The pin groove in the stick ball wears, the pin wears and the hole in the transmission top will get egg shaped from the pin. You can widen the groove in the ball and ream the top for a larger pin to tighten everything up.
Mark
PM incoming! Where would I see that stick ball? I assume remove the top shifter plate from the trans and try to look up from the inside? Or is this an external part?

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Exactly. But now let's give Alex back his thread.
Haha thank you.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:41 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of
One way to give reps is just post a thanks in the thread. I think Alex needs a big THANKS for posting this thread and both Joe sand Mark gets one for posting quick help answers.
Alex, this has been an interesting thread to follow also.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:33 PM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
Here is a photo of the bearing retainer you need. I have a couple more if this one is cracked.

This is on the transmission I took out of my F4.

Remove this threaded cap that retains the stick.

Place the stick in neutral and it will pull straight out.

Here you can see the ball with the slot for the pin and the pin in the transmission top.

See the wear on the pin. This one is not too bad.
If the slot in the ball is worn and the hole for the pin is sloppy, you can mill the slot to clean it up and ream the hole in the top for a larger pin. IIRC they are pin is 1/4" now, I believe that I have reamed the hole to 5/16" and used a hardened dowel pin for a replacement. The top and stick on this transmission may only need a new pin to fix it. Also, be careful when you pull out the stick, the pin can fall into the transmission.
Mark

Old 04-08-2018, 02:48 PM
acl9865
Senior User
Here is a photo of the bearing retainer you need. I have a couple more if this one is cracked.

This is on the transmission I took out of my F4.

Remove this threaded cap that retains the stick.

Place the stick in neutral and it will pull straight out.

Here you can see the ball with the slot for the pin and the pin in the transmission top.

See the wear on the pin. This one is not too bad.
If the slot in the ball is worn and the hole for the pin is sloppy, you can mill the slot to clean it up and ream the hole in the top for a larger pin. IIRC they are pin is 1/4" now, I believe that I have reamed the hole to 5/16" and used a hardened dowel pin for a replacement. The top and stick on this transmission may only need a new pin to fix it. Also, be careful when you pull out the stick, the pin can fall into the transmission.
Mark
What do you want for a bearing retainer? Mine is definitely separated haha.

Thanks for the pictures!

Old 04-08-2018, 03:41 PM
acl9865
Senior User

How worn does this look? The slot on the ball looks ruined to me but I have nothing to compare it to. Where would I pick up a new ball?

Old 04-08-2018, 05:03 PM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
The slot should be straight. The ball is part of the stick.
Mark

Old 04-08-2018, 05:44 PM
acl9865
Senior User
The slot should be straight. The ball is part of the stick.
Mark
Are new sticks available anywhere? Anyone selling one?

Old 04-08-2018, 07:11 PM
acl9865
Senior User
54 Days Remaining:

Progress:

Bearing on ConRod #5 is solved. Bought a .020" under in and everything is perfect. Looks like that one just wasn't ground the same as the rest.
Replaced as many trans gaskets as I wanted to bother with, brushed, cleaned, and painted the trans.
Need a solution to the loose shifter and it's all going back together.

Finalized last coat of POR15 on the front half of the frame.
Fixed the sprung drivers door with a combo of wooden block, crowbar, and big mallet. Need to adjust the latch but otherwise done.
New motor mounts installed.

This week I'll install the battery tray and battery, drop the new clutch in, assemble the drivetrain, and drop it in the frame.
My month off of work starts 4/13 so thats when things kick into high gear.

Alex

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuild an F4 in 60 Days

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.