Door alignment/ Rear axle ratio - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Door alignment/ Rear axle ratio

Old 03-30-2018, 06:01 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.
Door alignment/ Rear axle ratio

Hi, I have a 1950 F1 pickup. The drivers door when shut sticks out from the body at the back lower edge. I have seen a few in photos that appear to have gone the same way. Is there any thing I can do about this ?..

Old 04-06-2018, 05:10 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Pictures would help. Duplicate post?

Old 04-24-2018, 11:12 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.
Further to my recent question about differential ratios, I am still interested in seeing if there might be available a lower geared crown & pinion set for my truck. Trouble is I do not know what axle I have in the truck, it may be original ...I just would not know. All I know is, it is very high geared. What kind of ratio would I need to make the truck cruise easily at say 60 mph without the high revving that I have at present. I have had replies on that issue. Firstly what I really need to do is identify the axle that I have, can anyone help me with this problem please.

Suffolkman

Old 04-29-2018, 04:52 PM
vetrnz06
New User
vetrnz06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i believe i am right in saying your truck is to low geared now because it is stock. i have a '55 and am thinking of changing to a higher gear set of ring/pinion. maybe in the 3.55 range. mine is a '55 with a V8,all original, and is either 3-92 or 4.10 rear gear ratio. too low for the highway of any kind. 55 is about the top speed comfortably for me and i dont that very long! search on the web for randys' ring & pinion.they are in oregon here in the states i believe. after i wiped the rear end pumpkin area of the housing there is a part/serial number which will help them identify what u have and ratios and such.take a pic and send i t to them.i also called them. it worked for me. didnt really matter the ratio i had . its what housing u have etc and what new ring/pinion will fit. start with this anyway. i'll follow this thread so we can both learn a little more,as i have yet to do the swap.mike

Old 04-30-2018, 03:39 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Originally Posted by vetrnz06 View Post
i believe i am right in saying your truck is to low geared now because it is stock. i have a '55 and am thinking of changing to a higher gear set of ring/pinion. maybe in the 3.55 range. mine is a '55 with a V8,all original, and is either 3-92 or 4.10 rear gear ratio. too low for the highway of any kind. 55 is about the top speed comfortably for me and i dont that very long! search on the web for randys' ring & pinion.they are in oregon here in the states i believe. after i wiped the rear end pumpkin area of the housing there is a part/serial number which will help them identify what u have and ratios and such.take a pic and send i t to them.i also called them. it worked for me. didnt really matter the ratio i had . its what housing u have etc and what new ring/pinion will fit. start with this anyway. i'll follow this thread so we can both learn a little more,as i have yet to do the swap.mike
Hi there, and thank you for your reply. Actually I re posted my post to separate it away from the door alignment issue. Here is the link to the new post
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...al-ratios.html

this now runs in to two pages. And yes, I have learned a lot. My truck tuns out to have 3.92:1 gears. Not quite as bad as I had feared. Trouble is to get down to the 3.55 I would like, I will need a new carrier as well. The carrier alone is around $200 and of course shipping to UK with the crown & pinion is going to be expensive. I was wondering if carriers complete with diffs ever come up on ebay etc. Maybe I could get lucky that way. Please check out the full post, especially BlueOval Rage posts. I would have deleted the first post if I knew how.

Best Regards
Suffolkman

Old 04-30-2018, 03:29 PM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Suffolkman,
Nice looking '50. Since you already have a Mustang II front suspension ...it doesn't take much to
change out the rear axle. We went to a salvage yard & got a Ford Explorer 8.8 in. axle with 3.73 gearing, disc brakes,
& limited slip for $125. Not sure if Ford sold Explorers in Britain but I bet there something else you could use
to get your gearing down.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-30-2018, 04:38 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
This chart might help you identify the 8.8" rear axles. Mustangs used them too. Here is some more info that might help you: Wikipedia Ford 8.8" rear axle

Old 04-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Originally Posted by ben73058 View Post
Hey Suffolkman,
Nice looking '50. Since you already have a Mustang II front suspension ...it doesn't take much to
change out the rear axle. We went to a salvage yard & got a Ford Explorer 8.8 in. axle with 3.73 gearing, disc brakes,
& limited slip for $125. Not sure if Ford sold Explorers in Britain but I bet there something else you could use
to get your gearing down.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Hi Ben, and thanks for your reply. Greetings from sunny Suffolk. As a matter of interest was the Explorer axle the right width for your F1. And did it just bolt straight in ??. Were the spring perches in the right places to mate up to the F1 leaf springs etc ??. BTW your F1 looks neat as well.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:58 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Originally Posted by petemcl View Post
This chart might help you identify the 8.8" rear axles. Mustangs used them too. Here is some more info that might help you: Wikipedia Ford 8.8" rear axle
Thanks Pete, Yes this pic popped up in an earlier post . I have book marked it. Many thanks.

Terry

Old 04-30-2018, 05:08 PM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Terry,
Installing the 8.8 in. axle is pretty straight forward... 1 weekend job.
It's just about the right width.. we ended up using some 1 inch wheel spacers to
get the wheels to look right in the fender. It will all depend on your wheel choice.
You do have to move the spring perches. There are a lot of discussions on the 8.8 in. axle
installation on the site.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-30-2018, 05:24 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by Suffolkman View Post
Thanks Pete, Yes this pic popped up in an earlier post . I have book marked it. Many thanks.

Terry
Yes, I see that Harrier posted it. You should look at this link. I always have trouble finding it. About ⅓ of the way down it talks about axle widths and which ones are just right. https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...rential-swaps/

Don't be dismayed if all you can find are drum brake axles. They work just fine on our trucks.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:27 AM
5851a
Elder User
5851a is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you can find a 9 inch from late 50's to 72 in a F 100 should bolt in. Later rear like 72 with auto transmission, some came with 3.25 gears. Correct width, bolt pattern, and perch width. A little fiddling with brake line, cross breed u joint possibly, ebrake cables and should be done.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Originally Posted by ben73058 View Post
Hey Terry,
Installing the 8.8 in. axle is pretty straight forward... 1 weekend job.
It's just about the right width.. we ended up using some 1 inch wheel spacers to
get the wheels to look right in the fender. It will all depend on your wheel choice.
You do have to move the spring perches. There are a lot of discussions on the 8.8 in. axle
installation on the site.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Thanks Ben, Yes I will be looking around. I really want 3.55:1 gears in the axle. I think this will be a winter job. Only had the truck a couple of months so want to enjoy it for the summer.

Best Regards
Terry

Old 05-01-2018, 01:54 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by Suffolkman View Post
Thanks Ben, Yes I will be looking around. I really want 3.55:1 gears in the axle. I think this will be a winter job. Only had the truck a couple of months so want to enjoy it for the summer.

Best Regards
Terry
That might be a bit high it you have a 30% overdrive transmission. But it depends upon the engine and the carburetion, etc. Maybe 3.73:1 or 3.90:1 would be better.