1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Here is the crap that came from my gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:58 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
I had a lot of crude in my Model "A" tank since it had sat for years with old fuel in it. I didn't want to remove the tank (a major project) so I used lacquer thinner to try and loosen things up. It worked fairly well although there was still some fine rust particles that occasionally clogged up the filter in the carburetor. I ended up buying an in tank filter that fits into the intake opening of the shut-off valve at the bottom of the tank. It prevents the stuff that's settled to the bottom from going down the fuel line. I'm not sure if something likes this is available for the F-1 but it's worked well and haven't had a problem in about 25 years.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:28 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Silver54, that fuel outlet fitting looks nice, thanks for sharing the tip on that. Dan, that Model A filter is a good tip too.

Kevin, you are not late to the thread - the light is still on and I'm still gathering info on what to do next.

Harrier....you are welcome to talk to my wife about her version of events when I was shaking the tank. It could be entertaining to hear her perspective on the racket and mess I made.

The lowest priced stock style tank I have found is $249 plus shipping. I like to re-use original parts whenever possible and take pride in that part of a restoration, so I'm weighing the cost of treating the tank interior with the likelihood of success against the benefit of having a new tank or installing a non-stock one under the bed. I don't have good fabrication skills or tools and more importantly - have more time than money to spend on this project.
I just don't want to have a clogged carb jet while on a road trip.

Keep the info coming guys....I'm still on the fence.
Tom

Old 03-28-2018, 07:55 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 760 Likes on 371 Posts
I'm big on reusing parts as well. AT $250 plus shipping, I would try to reuse my tank as well.
I would think that screen that Dan posted would work for any tank if you can get it on the intake.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Mike Shuey
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pineconeford
Silver54, that fuel outlet fitting looks nice, thanks for sharing the tip on that. Dan, that Model A filter is a good tip too.

Kevin, you are not late to the thread - the light is still on and I'm still gathering info on what to do next.

Harrier....you are welcome to talk to my wife about her version of events when I was shaking the tank. It could be entertaining to hear her perspective on the racket and mess I made.

The lowest priced stock style tank I have found is $249 plus shipping. I like to re-use original parts whenever possible and take pride in that part of a restoration, so I'm weighing the cost of treating the tank interior with the likelihood of success against the benefit of having a new tank or installing a non-stock one under the bed. I don't have good fabrication skills or tools and more importantly - have more time than money to spend on this project.
I just don't want to have a clogged carb jet while on a road trip.

Keep the info coming guys....I'm still on the fence.
Tom
When I put my truck back on the road after sitting for 20 some years I was also worried about it quitting in the middle of my daughter's wedding day. I decided to see what the tank would put out. I put 5 gal of kerosene in the tank to soak. Then borrowed the 12 volt pump from my weed sprayer. Hooked it to the line at the fuel pump to pull the kerosene out into a bucketl with a white cotton rag stretched over it. I continued the process until the varnish and rust quit showing up in the cloth. l I was satisfied the tank was wedding day ready. Had no issues that day with the tank and several fills later the fuel pump bowl looks good and the carb kit I bought is still in the box. This would give you some idea of what your tank has to offer..

Old 03-28-2018, 11:07 AM
cowdog86
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put some ethanol gas in it and let it soak. Even better put E85 if you have it. The ethanol will do some cleaning as well.. I think 200 to 300 bucks is cheap insurance that something will be reliable for the rest of your life. I still suggest you bite the bullet and get a new tank. If it was 1956 or whatever, they wouldn't hesitate to replace the tank if it was full of crud, original or not.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:15 PM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Been through this with a couple different flatheads, my latest '49 I pulled the tank and attempted to clean it multiple times. After plugging up the carb and ruining the fuel pump https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ter+SeparatorI installed a suction side fuel filter .

It done the trick, I haven't had to replace the fuel tank yet, but rolling marbles or anything else will definitely find any thin spots and leak sooner rather than later. I would pass on the tank coating.

There is a guy here in town who specializes in refurbishing fuel tanks, his suggestion to me was if you can buy a new one than do it. He estimated it would cost me over $500 to refurbish my tank, a new tank is cheaper.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:11 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
IMHO If you are going to drive this truck buy a new tank , after the process of replacing filters , towing it home and doing the carb for the @@@ time you will then buy the tank .

Old 04-01-2018, 09:10 PM
pineconeford

I ended up buying a new tank today.

Well after much thought I realized that re-using this tank is not the way to go.
Most of you guys advised against saving it and I do value your experience and opinion.
So I just ordered a new tank from LMC truck a few minutes ago.
Also ordered a new sending unit, brass float, gaskets, rubber bumpers and floor seal. It was way over $300 for everything but my old tank was just too corroded inside. Even after I power washed it and let it dry indoors for a few days, the rust particles would keep flaking off. The final nail in the coffin was the outlet hole at the bottom....I don't think I could ever get the sealer to adhere to that recessed area.

Aside from the expense, I shouldn't have any regrets and this new tank should last another 30 years or more.

Thanks again for all your advice, tips and stories.
Tom

Old 04-01-2018, 10:05 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,453 Posts
Whew! I am glad you went with a new tank, Tom! I would have been worried about you on trek to Central PA this September. I think you would have gone through a lot of fuel filters.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:39 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 124 Likes on 63 Posts
Tom,
A tough choice but I believe the right one.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:02 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
I think you made the best decision . There are some things just not worth trying to save a buck on..

Old 04-02-2018, 09:20 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
I had not yet chimed in Tom, but I think you made the right decision Just one comment on the sending unit. If I remember correctly LMC did not send me instructions with my sender. The first time I just put it in as I received it. I later learned that there is a adjustment that needs to me made based on the depth of your tank. The directions can be found on the MidFifty Web site under Instructions. Maybe you already know what your doing but just though I would share in case you didn't. Dave

Old 04-02-2018, 09:35 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Although you will never really know , I believe it's the right decision . These old vehicles are a challenge at the best of times with things that are out of your control or missed , this will be one thing off of that list . I often ( as you did ) think " I can make this work " but then think if I was stopped on the side of the highway many miles from home I would be more than happy to hand someone x amount of dollars to have me instantly running .

Old 04-02-2018, 05:33 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
I think you made the best decision . There are some things just not worth trying to save a buck on..
my wife's exact words !!

Old 04-02-2018, 07:48 PM
pineconeford

I'll give the old tank away to anyone who wants it. Although a bit rusty inside, it is very clean and smells like Dawn dish soap instead of fuel. Personally I believe it would be great for smuggling dry contraband in your truck such as live exotic reptiles, rhino horn powder for Japanese male executives with limp appendages, bitcoins, salvaged shipwreck gold, Egyptian child mummies, presidential campaign banners, Cuban cigars or Canadian passports.
Tom

Quick Reply: Here is the crap that came from my gas tank