2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Why isn't anyone getting exhaust....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 07:08 PM
DuRsT
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why isn't anyone getting exhaust....?

First diesel here and I've always replaced the exhaust on all my vehicles because I like to hear them, and it's a common upgrade out of the gate on the gas side of the house. I haven't really seen anyone talking about changing out their stock exhaust on these newer SD's though so I'm kind of curious as to why not....does it not make a difference unless you're running a full delete kit?

Even if it just sounded better I would do it, but I don't know how it affects these things.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:12 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
It doesn't make any difference unless you're fully deleted.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:29 PM
C12H24
Posting Guru
Received 503 Likes on 264 Posts
Most of the "sound better" is attenuated by the particulate filter. As noted, that's something you'd have to delete. I'd also have to believe that given the factory exhaust seems largely made from intact submarine hull sections it would be rather expensive to replace it. I mean, the exhaust is massive. There'd have to be some performance payoff to justify the cost...at least in my mind.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:31 PM
J Standard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom N OH
It doesn't make any difference unless you're fully deleted.

This

You either go all out and fully delete and tune/loose your warranty or you leave it stock.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Fr8dog69
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by J Standard
This

You either go all out and fully delete and tune/loose your warranty or you leave it stock.
What he said..............

Old 03-23-2018, 04:16 PM
BronzefireAL13SD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to fully delete the day after my warranty expires.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:39 PM
Kegme13
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22,000 miles to go.....

Old 03-23-2018, 06:19 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
I don’t want anyone to mistake my truck for a Ram

Old 03-23-2018, 06:26 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Originally Posted by C12H24
given the factory exhaust seems largely made from intact submarine hull sections .. .
that explains it!

Old 03-23-2018, 07:38 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,628 Likes on 2,730 Posts
I like how quiet my 6.7L is. And it's going to stay that way. I also like how clean it smells so no delete for me.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:48 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kegme13
22,000 miles to go.....
you have 78,000 miles on your truck already?

Old 03-24-2018, 07:10 AM
KyF350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I like how quiet my 6.7L is. And it's going to stay that way. I also like how clean it smells so no delete for me.
this^^^^^^^. Guess I'm getting older and enjoy quiet going down the road.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:49 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
^^^ This.

There is no reason for loud cars/trucks given the current state of exhaust technology. Purposely making your vehicle loud is obnoxious and annoying. I bought my first house when I was in my mid/late 20s, out in the suburbs. A guy with a Dodge 1500, that had probably removed the mufflers, passed my house, (and everybody else on the street) on the throttle, every morning a little after 5am. Woke me up every morning. I don't want to be "that guy". That was probably the turning point for me. It was my first experience with having respect for the rights of others. I liked my quiet suburban home. This guy purposely annoyed everybody.

My wife hates the smell of diesel at all. She didn't really like my '07 6.0 for that reason. She really doesn't mid the '17 at all. I really don't like the smell of poorly tuned engines, gas or diesel. I occasionally run up behind a diesel (on the highway) that has an unusually acrid smell to the exhaust. I don't know diesels well enough to know what is wrong that causes the acrid smell but I know its not right. Same holds true for gas engines. Run up behind an older gas engine car/truck that is running rich and it smells awful. Lots of older muscle cars are tuned way to rich and have this problem. Older Harleys too. One of the side benefits of modern engines with modern FI is no more noxious smells.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:59 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
^^^ This.

There is no reason for loud cars/trucks given the current state of exhaust technology. Purposely making your vehicle loud is obnoxious and annoying. I bought my first house when I was in my mid/late 20s, out in the suburbs. A guy with a Dodge 1500, that had probably removed the mufflers, passed my house, (and everybody else on the street) on the throttle, every morning a little after 5am. Woke me up every morning. I don't want to be "that guy". That was probably the turning point for me. It was my first experience with having respect for the rights of others. I liked my quiet suburban home. This guy purposely annoyed everybody.

My wife hates the smell of diesel at all. She didn't really like my '07 6.0 for that reason. She really doesn't mid the '17 at all. I really don't like the smell of poorly tuned engines, gas or diesel. I occasionally run up behind a diesel (on the highway) that has an unusually acrid smell to the exhaust. I don't know diesels well enough to know what is wrong that causes the acrid smell but I know its not right. Same holds true for gas engines. Run up behind an older gas engine car/truck that is running rich and it smells awful. Lots of older muscle cars are tuned way to rich and have this problem. Older Harleys too. One of the side benefits of modern engines with modern FI is no more noxious smells.
Loud exhaust on vehicles regardless if they`re gas or diesels, for the most part, go hand in hand with the age of a person and the younger one is, the more that person wants to hear and have a loud exhaust system but the older one gets, the more annoying such a system is and I fall in the latter age category.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:20 AM
C12H24
Posting Guru
Received 503 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
....the younger one is, the more that person wants to hear and have a loud exhaust system but the older one gets, the more annoying such a system in and I fall latter category.
Yeah, but it comes down to more than just decibels. Sound is very subjective. Some systems sound pretty good, some are just annoying. If you aren't working with a carefully engineered system, then you might end up with some really awful outcomes. One outcome that makes a vehicle -car or truck- a botched mess is drone. This is a phenomenon where resonance (Helmholtz resonance) occurs in the pipe and makes any vehicle a pain to live with. I mean, the cab is just loud when just driving around even under light throttle. The bigger the pipe, the more sensitive the system is to drone and the more pronounced the sound. It's the same phenomenon you can get when you have two windows down on the same side of a vehicle and you reach a certain speed and you get that booming. Does anyone find that a pleasing situation? Probably not.

Quick Reply: Why isn't anyone getting exhaust....?