Raptor Steering Wheel Swap - Page 13 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Raptor Steering Wheel Swap

Old 10-06-2018, 11:54 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by gravedgr View Post
Are you saying that when you swap buttons, it swaps the entire button structure (cover, sensor and rebound mechanism)? I know you said the action of the Raptor buttons was aesthetically better, but I would want the S/D button covers. For instance, I don't use cruise control often and would tend to forget which buttons did what with the Raptor button covers. However, I might reconsider if I had to swap over the entire button structure instead of just the button covers.
All of the buttons are exactly the same except for 3. The middle button on the right D pad has a voice activation icon, but in SDs it's the stereo mode button. The voice button is the top right and the mute button is the top left, on the right side cluster. They still work as they normally would, they just have the wrong label. All of the cruise control buttons and all the other buttons work and are labeled correctly.

You can't easily swap the button covers, you have to swap out the entire cluster. My XLT buttons felt a lot more "clicky" like a mechanical keyboard switch. The raptors are a lot smoother, it might've just been my wheel, but it feels like a higher quality action.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:57 PM
emanaresi
New User
emanaresi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is there any chance at all that an XL would be able to be adapted to the heated wheel?

Old 10-11-2018, 11:09 PM
gravedgr
Likes to go fast
gravedgr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
All of the buttons are exactly the same except for 3. The middle button on the right D pad has a voice activation icon, but in SDs it's the stereo mode button. The voice button is the top right and the mute button is the top left, on the right side cluster. They still work as they normally would, they just have the wrong label. All of the cruise control buttons and all the other buttons work and are labeled correctly.

You can't easily swap the button covers, you have to swap out the entire cluster. My XLT buttons felt a lot more "clicky" like a mechanical keyboard switch. The raptors are a lot smoother, it might've just been my wheel, but it feels like a higher quality action.
Actually, the only buttons that match mine at the D-pads (excluding the right D-pad center button), the phone pickup/hang up, and the cruise Set + / Set -. There rest of the bottom buttons are wrong (4/6 + D-pad center = 5 incorrect graphics). If the D-pad ring/center are separate buttons, that is 5 right and 5 wrong.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 PM
jonathanjr1
Junior User
jonathanjr1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by emanaresi View Post
Is there any chance at all that an XL would be able to be adapted to the heated wheel?
maybe but i'm not shure. I added it to my lariat value package.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:47 PM
STIBUILDER
New User
STIBUILDER is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is it possible to just add the paddle shift? Would be super nice to have when towing in manual mode.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:11 AM
jonathanjr1
Junior User
Originally Posted by STIBUILDER View Post
Is it possible to just add the paddle shift? Would be super nice to have when towing in manual mode.
ya you just need the raptor wheel and to either buy the terminal pig tails from ford and splice them into the wires from the gear shifter or buy the plug and play harness 2016boostedgreygoose.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:21 AM
GABAR
Posting Guru
GABAR is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by emanaresi View Post
Anything is possible but i`m sure doing this would require not just a heated steering wheel but also wire splicing and some kind of switch to turn it on and off.

With that being said, the cheaper option would be a nice pair of gloves.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM
jonathanjr1
Junior User
Originally Posted by GABAR View Post
Anything is possible but i`m sure doing this would require not just a heated steering wheel but also wire splicing and some kind of switch to turn it on and off.

With that being said, the cheaper option would be a nice pair of gloves.
no switches required only sync 3 and some forscan, total cost to add it into my truck was $530 after selling my factory wheel and that includes the raptor steering wheel. Here the google dock i made with all the information on adding it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15IW-hv1rVLkygN8qvvM45UjENexfbtMCr3NNv2uWrzw/edit?usp=drivesdk

Old 10-12-2018, 12:41 PM
18SD_Lariat
Junior User
18SD_Lariat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jonathanjr1 View Post
no switches required only sync 3 and some forscan, total cost to add it into my truck was $530 after selling my factory wheel and that includes the raptor steering wheel. Here the google dock i made with all the information on adding it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?usp=drivesdk
I bought a PNP harness from Jon. It worked well except I needed to get into the MS-CAN differently than his directions because my 2018 didn't have the connector and I ended up making one that plugged into the trailer brake controller.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:03 PM
PSM 6.4
Senior User
PSM 6.4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got BGG PnP harness installed in 5 mins. Thanks Lawrence ! i'm glad I waited for the new PnP harness and not use the v1 harness.

Its as easiest as can be to install.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:08 PM
2016BoostedGreyGoose
Junior User
2016BoostedGreyGoose is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by PSM 6.4 View Post
Got BGG PnP harness installed in 5 mins. Thanks Lawrence ! i'm glad I waited for the new PnP harness and not use the v1 harness.

Its as easiest as can be to install.
Nice! Congrats, and thank you for the trust!

Old 10-12-2018, 06:54 PM
ATC Crazy
Post Fiend
ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.
I almost didn't get mine installed today. It took me forever to get the airbag out of my stock steering wheel. No matter how hard I pushed, it would not release! I finally got a T-handle allen so I could really get some force behind it which (barely) did the trick.
I still need to get the harness from the goose!....I was waiting to get my wheel installed first.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:46 PM
Dim Sum
Posting Guru
Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.
That thing looks nice! I'd do that in a heartbeat, but I have adaptive steering...

Old 10-13-2018, 08:22 PM
WVSD
Junior User
WVSD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 18SD_Lariat View Post
I bought a PNP harness from Jon. It worked well except I needed to get into the MS-CAN differently than his directions because my 2018 didn't have the connector and I ended up making one that plugged into the trailer brake controller.

Does Jon have a PNO harness to add heat? I have a 17 Lariat, no factory heated wheel?

If is how to I reach him. I already have Boosteds harness for paddle shifters.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:28 AM
jonathanjr1
Junior User
Originally Posted by WVSD View Post

Does Jon have a PNO harness to add heat? I have a 17 Lariat, no factory heated wheel?

If is how to I reach him. I already have Boosteds harness for paddle shifters.
send me a pm or email [email protected]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raptor Steering Wheel Swap

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.