Modular V10 (6.8l)  

My V-10 just dies then takes several attempts b4 starting again

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:39 PM
billionj
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My V-10 just dies then takes several attempts b4 starting again

It happened twice today and once 4 drives ago. The first and second time I was at idle and it just died, then would crank but not start. After 4 or 5 attempts it started and seemed to run fine. The third time I was driving about 30 mph and it died, I coasted as I tried to start it and after 4-5 attempts it started and seemed to drive fine. I had at least half a tank both times and the outside temp was about 70 degrees. Any suggestions on what may be the cause please? Thank you very much!

Old 03-22-2018, 05:33 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
Have you scanned it for any codes or pending codes?
How many miles on it?
Do you know if it has the original fuel pump?
It could be any one of a few things but some fuel pumps die slowly with very similar symptoms to what you have described. Can you hear the pump run when you turn the key to "Run".

Old 03-22-2018, 08:10 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
$1 says its the fuel pump on the way out.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Moving this over to the V10 forum to get you a wider array of expert eyes on your problem.

Stewart

Old 03-22-2018, 05:36 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
That does sound like a fuel pump on its death bed.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 AM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I would not be so quick on the fuel pump. Take a scan of the FUEL PUMP relay! I had a diagnosis of a bad fuel pump, replaced it and still would not start. Ended up replacing the relay and all was well. Trouble shooting old fuel pump revealed it would work but it got all torn apart trying to see if it could be saved. Had ford scan tool and no codes showed so take a look ther 1st. Dont know if you have same fuel system as a 2011 E450 but still check the relay 1st much cheaper to replace.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:42 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Depending on the year/configuration the relay is very expensive to replace because it's an integral part of the under dash fuse panel.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:45 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a way to further diagnose the problem :

1-Remove the panel over the "inertia switch" so you can access the connector with your VOM- meter . Monitor your indicator for the 2-3 seconds when the key is first turned from OFF to RUN (not START). If the VOM-meter reads battery voltage during that priming interval, then the control circuitry is all working (including built-in fuel pump relay) and the problem is most likely (but not always) the fuel pump.

2- You should be able to hear the pump during the priming cycle. Listen carefully.

3- It's often possible to tap the fuel tank with a rubber mallet or a chunk of wood to get it to start up when they start to go bad due to excessive internal wear (intermittent electrical contacts). If that works, you're on very, very short notice to replace the pump ASAP.
Good luck,

Old 03-27-2018, 10:51 AM
cokeman
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
delete this, mods. No idea why the javascript is being inserted every time
window.onbeforeunload = function() {}window.onbeforeunload = function() {}

Last edited by cokeman; 03-27-2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Java script being inserted when using the quick response function.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:01 PM
billionj
Freshman User
So I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter. It ran great for four days then while I was driving 40 mph it just died. As always, I put it in nooch and coasted while I cranked. Four times at five seconds and it finally started. It always seems like it takes four or five cranks at four of five second before it starts back up. Once it does it runs great and may not die again for a few days. I can find no common denominator for why it dies. It has died at all speeds, speeding up, slowing down, constant speed. Then it starts right back up after a few cranks then runs fine for a while. So, does it sound like it's that relay or might somebody have some other ideas? Thank you very much! Oh, it has about 105,000 miles on it, since someone asked.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:53 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I recall a similar thread a few days ago on excursion forum.

OP bought a junk parts store fuel pump. After lots of trouble shooting it ended up the parts store fuel pump was junk. 5 psi at idle.

what manufacturer pump did you install?
I recommend denso, bosch, and walbro. Others are just too risky.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:35 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by billionj
So I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter. It ran great for four days then while I was driving 40 mph it just died. ... Then it starts right back up after a few cranks then runs fine for a while. So, does it sound like it's that relay or might somebody have some other ideas? ...
Did you test the voltage at the inertia switch?
Voltage comes from the fuel pump relay to the inertia switch and on to the fuel pump.
I added a dash mounted voltmeter that is tied in at the output of the inertia switch making it easy to see the voltage getting to the fuel pump, if the inertia switch got tripped by a jolt, if the voltage regulator for system voltage is working properly, or if there is a dead battery cell.
I think your 2005 Excursion is the same as my 2002, the fuel pump relay is soldered under the fuse panel below the steering column and not easy to get to.
The CJB - Central Junction Box or fuse panel I think is no longer available new and a used panel will just have a used relay in it.
I've seen places that can repair them or have the relay for a DIY repair.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:08 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Your trucks’ fuel pump relays are soldered in place?! That’s crazy. Are you guys sure about that?
My E350 fuel pump relay is easily accessible in the fuse box under the hood.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:30 AM
johnfist
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've seen cases where some relays fail when they get too hot, then once they cool off a bit they start back to work. Possible this is happening here? Though you'd imagine the fuel pump relay would be a bit more robust than this.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:46 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
Your trucks’ fuel pump relays are soldered in place?! That’s crazy. Are you guys sure about that?
My E350 fuel pump relay is easily accessible in the fuse box under the hood.

I agree.
The fuel pump relay was moved to the bottom of the fuse panel with the electrical redesign in 2002 for our Excursion and in 2003 for the Expedition.
I've rewired mine to use the OEM relay to trigger a heavy duty external relay that is more easily replaced.
The pic is of an Expedition board with a burned fuel pump relay.

Quick Reply: My V-10 just dies then takes several attempts b4 starting again