Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator

Old 03-21-2018, 02:48 PM
Innocent Bystander
Freshman User
Innocent Bystander is starting off with a positive reputation.
Radiator

Any recommendations on what radiator to get? I was getting the water pump replaced and when the fan and shroud were removed we could see 4 spots where coolant had been leaking out. Thatís probably where the coolant was coming from that made me think water pump, but itís not a bad thing to do the pump anyway. I did a quick search and found a lot of 6.0 trans cooler advce but nothing on radiators. Are the ones from local parts stores ok?

Old 03-21-2018, 03:03 PM
schlepprock250
Guns Dont Kill People..
schlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to behold
I went with a radiator from NAPA a while back. No problems.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:49 PM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
I replaced mine with OEM.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:25 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.
Well, when I first bought my truck it needed tires, I found the tires I wanted (Cooper A/TW) and the one shop that sold Cooper's. They installed the rears then the front, how does this relate to the radiator? Well, here's the story and headaches. The kid decided to jack the front of my diesel truck up using the radiator support...see where this is going yet? Well, the support caved in then so did my radiator! They stood behind their mistake initially doing the minimum...they installed a single core "performance" radiator. There was a 1.5" gap between the shroud, not good for forcing air through the radiator...my temps proved it too. I went back and told them to pull it and get a brand new one from Ford. They did, well with the damage to the support the OEM one wouldn't fit. Off came the entire front of the truck and a body shop. Almost 3 weeks later I got the truck back...the difference between the aftermarket and OEM was very evident. It costs them $2600 with the labor and hassle...IMO OEM is worth the money.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:25 AM
donnybrasco
Junior User
donnybrasco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Subscribing.

I've debate replacing my radiator but I was scratching my head as to why the motorcraft radiator is MUCH thinner (maybe depth?)than the current original radiator. I'd like to think they made improvements to the radiator design to reduce the thickness. I will not commit unless I am forced or someone else can share their experience with the newer motorcraft radiator and temps while towing.

I'm in Las Vegas and plan on towing right at GCWR 20k this year or next year. The last thing I want is reduced cooling.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by donnybrasco View Post
Subscribing.

I've debate replacing my radiator but I was scratching my head as to why the motorcraft radiator is MUCH thinner (maybe depth?)than the current original radiator.
Are you sure you were looking at the correct rad for your year truck? I only ask because I recently put a Motorcraft rad in my '04 and it had the exact same dimensions as the one I pulled out of the truck.

Stewart

Old 03-22-2018, 03:57 PM
donnybrasco
Junior User
donnybrasco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Are you sure you were looking at the correct rad for your year truck? I only ask because I recently put a Motorcraft rad in my '04 and it had the exact same dimensions as the one I pulled out of the truck.

Stewart
I'm willing to bet the dealership "parts people" I was working with had the wrong information... I do remember them saying there is another radiator that is +$700. I bought it at the same time as the 6.0 trans cooler (which I have yet to install). I hope I received the right trans cooler....

Quick search on rockauto resulted in part number 4C3Z8005EB for my radiator.
I see a TYC 2171 with a depth of 1-7/16". There is also a a radiator depth of 2-1/4" supposedly ULTRA-POWER 2171.
This is a bit of a gray area in my opinion. I'm following this to see what everyone else is purchasing and the thickness (or depth or height, whatever it is) of their radiator.
Like the OP, I'm curious what you all recommend.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:22 PM
machmedic
Elder User
machmedic is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just checked and the mishimoto radiator for our trucks runs $774 on multiple sites, its all aluminum.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:06 PM
Innocent Bystander
Freshman User
Does anyone know how many rows the OEM radiator has? 2? 3? 4?
since OEM lasted 245,00 Iím thinking of just going with this:
https://www.silverstatefordparts.com...OC1kaWVzZWw%3D
but still wondering if a quality aftermarket isnít just as good.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:14 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
When I priced out the rad for my truck at RockAuto, it was only $20 or so dollars more for the Motorcraft unit, so I went with it.

I dunno if the prices are still that close.

Stewart

Old 03-22-2018, 06:19 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Well I got lucky. I just checked and it looks like the price jumped around $15 bucks and they have "Economy" rads listed now for a lot cheaper.

Stewart

Old 03-24-2018, 04:05 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
Just wondering if the "thinner" radiator might be for the gas engine version of the Super duty?

Old 03-26-2018, 08:45 PM
jafred3
New User
jafred3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just had the same thing happen last Thursday. My water pump had a small crack in it. I pulled the fan shroud to replace the pump and noticed the radiator had 4 small pinhole leaks. I called my local Ford dealership and picked up an OEM radiator. I replaced the radiator, water pump and thermostat. No problems so far.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:40 PM
Innocent Bystander
Freshman User
Hereís what mine looked like. Yikes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.