Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Gen 1 Explorer with Flip Out Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 PM
M1J0E
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gen 1 Explorer with Flip Out Head Unit

Hey y’all! As we’ve moved our used vehicle shopping from a van to something smaller for the city, 1st gen explorers have come on our radar. One of our requirements however is to fit a screen for in-dash nav & backup camera. That certainly seems easily possible with flip out head units, but I’m not sure how they’d fit with the screen flipped out. I can see it might cover the 4 lo button, and the bottom of the air vent, which wouldn’t be bad.

But I can’t find a pic to verify how such a thing would fit. I must not be googling the right things as somebody somewhere must have fitted the 7” flip out screens & taken a pic. I’m also not finding anything searching out Rangers. Has anyone fitted one of these screens to a gen 1 or ranger & can share pics? I am curious as to how they fit. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:50 PM
M1J0E
New User
Well we did indeed pick up a gen 1! 1993, 86,000 miles. Clean in & out, it should be a great vehicle!
But not a particularly valuable one. Keeping in mind the low initial purchase price, low resale value, and the fact that it’ll be mostly street/alley parked, we’re no longer opting for a flip out screen.

A normal single din stereo, in conjunction with our phones, should provide everything we need for a low enough cost.

But having said that, I still need some help please. I can’t figure out which wiring harness I need! As might be obvious from the pics, it’s an XLT with some options. I have the Ford factory CD player in it, which I read might mean it has an amp. But then I’m not sure as it also lacks the sub, or what I’m assuming is a sub from pics, in the right rear cargo area. Does anyone have any thoughts on what harness I might need? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 AM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If no sub you should need the non-premium harness and makes install and wiring much simpler. The JBL system has a crap ton of wiring going to the back since the head unit is really just a dummy with controls. The system is in the back with the sub.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:19 PM
M1J0E
New User
Thanks Spaz, I suspect you’re right. I should have a non premium system. If I had the JBL system, it should have the sub in it. The odd part though, if I look on old car brochures for the 93, I have the CD player pictured with the JBL system. And the only way to get a CD in 93 was to get the premium JBL system. Odd I have something that in theory shouldn’t exist. But who knows. Somewhere along the line over the past 25 years it’s possible another ford CD player was swapped into the truck that might look like the JBL one but come from a different car where more of the unit itself was in the head unit instead of just dummy controls.

I may have to wait till I get home & go buy those U-shaped tools & pull the unit out to see what the wiring looks like. I should be able to tell from the back of the stereo what wiring I’d need?