6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Normal Blowby Amounts? very light puffing smoke from oil fill tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normal Blowby Amounts? very light puffing smoke from oil fill tube

I just recently replaced my thermostat over the weekend and now my operating temperatures are coming closer to normal. But since then I opened my oil cap and saw a very faint whisp of smoke puffing out of oil fill. Not too much however, I put my hand over it and I feel some pressure as well as when i set a piece of paper on top of it, it sucked a little back and forth but when I put the oil cap on it however that didnt even budge, even when I flipped it over except when it vibrated off. Just wondering how much blowby is actually normal for a 260k mile truck and if in fact my piston rings are going to fail soon? From what I understand a little crankcase pressure is pretty normal as long as cap doesnt blow off. I did not seem to have this issue last week when I checked as I do often. Seems to be running strong with great power, no compression skips or anything. Im really hoping everything is ok with it. Seems odd to me it would be fine one week and be doing this the next. Unless the thermostat had something to do with it, increasing wear on cylinder walls. Running 15W40 motorcraft with ar9100 additive. Also any suggestions to prevent it from getting worse anytime soon?

Thanks,

Jackson

Old 03-19-2018, 09:08 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure it really sounds like anything I would be worried about. You are always going to have some blow by in these older engines.
If you had that tube sticking under the engine it would probably look like 90% of any other older diesel.
Same thing goes for the CAC tubes.......perfectly normal to have a little oil pooled in the boots.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:19 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Not sure it really sounds like anything I would be worried about. You are always going to have some blow by in these older engines.
If you had that tube sticking under the engine it would probably look like 90% of any other older diesel.
Same thing goes for the CAC tubes.......perfectly normal to have a little oil pooled in the boots.

I pulled oil dipstick tube and I didn’t feel anything either. Not sure what to think of it. Just really hoping it won’t get worse. Sort of developed overnight for me literally. Like as soon as I put a new thermostat in and it’s running a bit hotter.... going from no blow by at all to not a steady stream of smoke, but a faint puffing stream that had pressure on your hand sounds a little fishy. Not blowing cap off yet but I better keep an eye on it and hope for the best

Old 03-19-2018, 09:40 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
The biggest thing I am worried about is I feel the pulsing pressure against my hand. I have heard that is a sign of major issues, as for the oil cap which is a more common test, it hasnt blown the cap off...yet! I wonder if the pressure I am feeling on my hand is normal at all and I can continue driving it and doing my maintenance without it getting worse.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 PM
texinwa
Senior User
My 6.0 tow truck has blown the cap off for the last 200K miles (at 580K now), don't sweat it.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:18 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Is the crank case breather hose hooked up to valve cover and intake OK

there is that green oring that is about a 1 time use if it pulled apart at valve cover

I got sick of buying it so I RTV it

Just something to check

Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by texinwa
My 6.0 tow truck has blown the cap off for the last 200K miles (at 580K now), don't sweat it.

You burn any oil? or lose any power?

Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Is the crank case breather hose hooked up to valve cover and intake OK

there is that green oring that is about a 1 time use if it pulled apart at valve cover

I got sick of buying it so I RTV it

Just something to check

Not really sure what your talking about, the CCV is all stock and not rerouted if thats what you mean. I know that mod relieves pressure.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:23 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by navistarnut

I dont have the tube under the engine. Is that the CCV mod you are referring to? Mine is stock

Old 03-20-2018, 08:58 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
Originally Posted by joejackF250
Not really sure what your talking about, the CCV is all stock and not rerouted if thats what you mean. I know that mod relieves pressure.
The ccv mod (venting via a hose to undercarriage of truck) really does nothing regarding relieving the pressure. In fact, if the hose is small it can increase it.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:04 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bismic
The ccv mod (venting via a hose to undercarriage of truck) really does nothing regarding relieving the pressure. In fact, if the hose is small it can increase it.

ah. Well i don’t think I have that modification. I haven’t seen any hose down there. So I’m guessing crankcase pressure is normal?

Old 03-21-2018, 07:46 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
Old 03-21-2018, 08:12 AM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass

Mine blows some paper up a little bit. Doesn’t blow cap, that just vibrates off. But a guy earlier in this thread said not to even sweat it if it blows off. Must have something to do with if you have low compression or burning oil. I don’t think I have either of those problems. My truck starts/runs fine and has good power.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:38 AM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Over time the piston rings leak by compression as they age. The 6.0 has around 400 psi compression and some will leak past as engines wear. Your best defense is quality synthetic oil to keep wear and tear to a minimum. It's normal and not worth being concerned about when its at low levels.

A oil catch can may be a good idea though to keep it out of your boots and intercooler etc.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:46 AM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by mhatlen
Over time the piston rings leak by compression as they age. The 6.0 has around 400 psi compression and some will leak past as engines wear. Your best defense is quality synthetic oil to keep wear and tear to a minimum. It's normal and not worth being concerned about when its at low levels.

A oil catch can may be a good idea though to keep it out of your boots and intercooler etc.

I’ll take that as good news! Next oil change I’ll have dealer put in the 10w-30 synthetic. Use it in the 6.7s so I figure it’s good oil. I’ll keep an eye on it. As for boots and intercooler, I know I have some oil in there. But no indication of turbo seal trouble. I’ll replace turbo when signs of that appear. Everything on that end seems to be going good right now!

Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply: Normal Blowby Amounts? very light puffing smoke from oil fill tube