Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 99 7.3 No low end torque.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:43 PM
Early99_7.3
New User
Early99_7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have replaced the up pipes with new ford pipes and the seals about 5 times. Never does any color smoke barley come out of this truck, just blue grey in the morning and blue grey if I gas it kinda hard cold after that just barley any on 120hp and it has the 6637 filter as well. I have done the hutch mod before as well but now with the sender new and filters itís stock again. The fuel pump is kinda loud but this is like the 3rd new pump on it, I feel maybe itís sucking air just not sure how because everything to the back is new. Most the crap now on the motor is new and the trans fluid is always perfect kinda lost. Anyone know symptoms of a weak IDM or maybe a faulty EOT sensor? Really appreciate everyoneís responses as well this has been a battle.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:45 PM
Early99_7.3
New User

Old 03-20-2018, 07:18 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Any time I had low power in the past, it involved low ICP. Once the engine is at full temp, what is your ICP at idle and at WOT?

Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
You should be able to monitor oil temps with any of the scanners, that would be the way to verify engine oil temp sensor function.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 AM
Early99_7.3
New User
Tugly, idle with engine hot is like 498 psi wot is 2900+ IPR idle is 11% and WOT seems like 52% or so. When approaching a hill it seems like I push and push the throttle nothing happens but the HPOP goes up to like 2300psi no speed gain then it down shifts and kinda gains speed but not till I bury it just real confused.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Early99_7.3
New User
That was another thing I was going to change out was the EOT sensor thinking maybe itís messing up the fueling and timing.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Wesley Green
Elder User
Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Early99_7.3 View Post
One last weird thing is with doing a boost leak test and pressuring the system I hear a leak but itís under the valve cover and I can hear it through the CCV pipe is that normal??
Sounds like you are doing the boost leak test wrong. Put your tester cap in the intake tube, past the black ccv mount, you shouldn't be pressurising the ccv. Then take your soapy water/simple green and spray all the boots, map tube, waste gate tubing and air temp sensor on the spider.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:43 PM
Early99_7.3
New User
I am pressurizing the turbo past the CCV but I can hear in air rushing sound coming out of the black CCV pipe. If I put a gauge on the Schrader valve it reads zero pressure but if I push it in with my finger thereís a lot of pressure so Iím getting really confused because I know Iím doing it correctly just donít know what would be causing the air to escape under the valve cover unless itís an intake or exhaust valve I highly doubt itís the intake because there is no thumping but what would the symptoms be of any exhaust valves

Old 03-20-2018, 04:29 PM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
I don't understand the boost leak detector either, not that I've ever tried it. How can you pressurize the intake system? Odds are one of the cylinders will be in valve overlap (both intake & exhaust valve open slightly), so wouldn't all the air just blow out the exhaust? Or is the flow through that cylinder restricted enough that you can still build enough pressure to make any leaks visible? Or now that I've typed it out, do we not have valve overlap in our engines?

Old 03-21-2018, 07:41 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
We don't have valve overlap. I've twisted that damn crank enough times on my spare engine that I can say this one with certainty.

The fueling looks good, but that air out the CCV is not a good sign. Now I would suggest starting the engine and turn the oil filler cap upside-down on top of the filler neck. If it shoots off the neck, you have maybe one hope - a popped-out glow plug.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:14 PM
Early99_7.3
New User
Yeah I feel like every time I have boots leak tested this truck like 30+ times Iíve never heard air coming out of the CCV pipe. Now Iíve flipped the cap over after running good and hot and it has white steam coming out kinda steady but no pressure at all or puffing. I just re filled it with trans fluid and tonight Iíll be re filling the rear end fluid and Iíll data log with my scanner. Exactly what should I be looking at comparing for low power situation any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:14 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Well... the simple stuff is asked and answered. I'm to the point where I'd need to see a log of the full spread of powertrain PIDs. Cut and paste from another answer:

If you are looking to log PIDs to determine the health of the powertrain (in alphabetical order):
EBP
EOT
FIPW
ICP
ICP DC (IPR)
MAP
RPM
TC Slip TFT

Old 03-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Early99_7.3
New User
Do you want the data all at idle or at various loads? I really do appreciate all the help guys, with some of these values Iím not sure how to pick out an actual problem especially looking at fuel injection pulse width, I have a hard time understanding that one exactly.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
It's best to log it with a warm engine and various loads from idle all the way up to WOT up a hill or under load.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Early99_7.3
New User
I will try and get that data today. Another thing I noticed is at warm idle ICP is all over and the idle jumps 100 to 200rpm sometimes and Iíve went back and fourth with the gray cam sensor and the black with blue sensor with no change. Only time the truck really ever runs good is on 120 race, injectors are extremely loud and exhaust seems to to have a skip to me but nothing ever shows up on cylinder contribution and Iíve checked with a handheld pyro and all cylinders are the same on each port so Iím lost. She smokes blue gray a lot on cold start whole engine shaking for almost 10 min then no smoke the rest of the day and only a little black on 120 race and I mean just a little little. Maybe itís suckkng air?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Early 99 7.3 No low end torque.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.