Ran truck out of fuel now it wont start - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Ran truck out of fuel now it wont start

Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 AM
85Blondie
Junior User
85Blondie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy Ran truck out of fuel now it wont start

I have a 1985 Ford f150 with a 4.9l carbureted. It is my daily driver and has always ran like a top until I ran it out of gas.. It was jerking and sputtering finally made it to a gas station and I put $20 in it. I cranked it up and it ran like crap and would barley go.. Now it wont start at all. Im thinking maybe I killed the fuel pump?? I took the fuel filter off the carb and its not plugged, took the line off and fuel is squirting through there when I press the gas with the truck off.. The truck will not crank up hoping my stupidity didn't screw up my good truck. ha

What else can I try? Ive tried a few things and nothing has worked so far. Is there a fuel shutoff switch on this truck? I tried looking and couldn't find anything-it said between 84-89 ut was installed on the brake or clutch pedal or just r of the transmission tunnel... im not finding anything though I haven't checked the tunnel yet.

Thank you

Old 03-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Take the aircleaner off and with the engine off, look down inside the carb while you move the throttle with your hand. Fuel should squirt into the center of the carb each time you move the throttle lever. If it does, you have fuel in the carb. If it still won't start, hold the gas pedal to the floor and see if it tries to start.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:00 AM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
You may have sucked junk into the carb (jets, ect)
1. Pull coil wire from dizzy, ground it, do you have spark?

2. look down carb throat, and open throttle all the way. Is gas squirting into intake? Yes....no spark. No ....no gas.

3. try a shot of starting fluid, did it try and fire up? Yes.....no fuel. No ....no spark

2. remove gas line from carb (after the filter ) Take open end of the line into a gas approved container.
Crank engine, Is there gas even getting to the carb?

Old 03-19-2018, 11:00 AM
85Blondie
Junior User
Thank you for the reply I tried both of those last night and its getting fuel into the carb and I even put fuel into the carb myself tried both. wont fire up and ive put my foot to the floor while starting it and it doesn't even try to start. Im at odds of what else it could be from just running it out of fuel

Old 03-19-2018, 11:02 AM
85Blondie
Junior User
reamer thank you I will go ahead and try that as well

Old 03-19-2018, 11:54 AM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
Check for spark, sounds like "if you have fuel, you need spark"
If you have spark, you may be way off on the timing........
Let me know if you would like any "dress up" stuff for your truck.
(brush guard, aluminum diamondplate bed rails, tailgate protector).....

Old 03-19-2018, 01:00 PM
85Blondie
Junior User
Originally Posted by reamer View Post
Check for spark, sounds like "if you have fuel, you need spark"
If you have spark, you may be way off on the timing........
Let me know if you would like any "dress up" stuff for your truck.
(brush guard, aluminum diamondplate bed rails, tailgate protector).....
I checked to see if fuel was getting to carb and it is. It ran perfect until I was on E and ran it on fumes to the gas station.. Could it really be a spark issue by just running it out of gas when spark and timing was fine before.

Beautiful truck by the way im jealous. I had a lady hit me recently so im trying to find bumper guards for it and new bumper along with the rolled top of the bed sides. Im gonna be working on my bed here soon

Old 03-19-2018, 01:26 PM
85Blondie
Junior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
Take the aircleaner off and with the engine off, look down inside the carb while you move the throttle with your hand. Fuel should squirt into the center of the carb each time you move the throttle lever. If it does, you have fuel in the carb. If it still won't start, hold the gas pedal to the floor and see if it tries to start.
I did that and the gas is squirting into the carb. I tried the gas pedal to the floor several times and still nothing. I guess ill have to check for spark now-what can happen with running out of fuel that could mess up the spark? Foul them up??

Old 03-19-2018, 02:23 PM
can0fspam
Senior User
can0fspam is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't see any way that running out of gas should interfere with spark. If you flooded the engine it would foul the plugs but that's not what happened here. Check for spark with what was posted above .

Also check to make sure your choke is working as it should. If your engine is cold and the choke is not blocking air then your engine will have a lot of trouble firing even if all else works right!
f you pump it a lot and make it start with the choke valve fully open then it will sputter and miss instead of idling as it should because the engine will be running very lean. I don't know if this is the case for you but it's worth checking it out.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:29 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
willowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to all
I'm starting to think you didn't run out of gas at all. Whatever the problem is, just happened to coincide with a low fuel level.. Also have you looked at the spark plugs?

Old 03-19-2018, 06:44 PM
85Blondie
Junior User
Not getting spark from the coil just tested it. Here is a picture of one of the plugs-they are like 5 years old. Haven't had any issues out of it and ive owned the truck for 6 years used it as my daily driver but I do realize its a old truck and things can happen. When I ran out of gas it was jerking real hard then I got $20 in fuel and it started back up but ran like crap then cant start it since then and that happened last night.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:55 PM
85Blondie
Junior User
Is it alright to test it with a spark tester and do I need to actually ground it to the block?

Old 03-19-2018, 07:12 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
The spark wants to go to the block. If you do not give it a path to the block(with a small gap) then you will have no spark at the small gap.

I am starting to think the same as willowbilly, you are working on your real problem now, the gas thing was a red herring.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 PM
reamer
Postmaster
I knew it!! a spark issue..

Old 03-19-2018, 07:46 PM
jason832
Senior User
jason832 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I feel like that spark plug gap is on the big side I don't remember mine being that big.

Make sure your wiring harness connectors and the wires on the coil are tight and clean. Be sure you have good grounds between block/engine/body.

Could be the famous module death where it dies when hot, then starts and runs when cold. Gets progressively worse until it's dead.

See if this is the "feedback carburetor" or duraspark 2 system. Also double check the choke. It should close a fair amount at a min when cold then open when warm. Check around for vacuum leaks.

It takes only a few seconds to pop the cap off the distributor, see where the rotor is, turn the motor and see if the rotor moved. If I didn't boy your in for some fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ran truck out of fuel now it wont start

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.