Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

It`s official....... SYNC 3 version 3.0 has been released

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 04:22 PM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tx.Hoon
Are you saying that the vehicle did not write the .xml file to your USB drive? When the update is successful, it will write a file on the USB drive with the vehicles VIN and will end in .xml. If the update happens over the air via wifi, it should upload the file directly to ford.
Yes the update is successful, but it never wrote that .xml file to the USB drive ! My question is can I run it again ?

Old 04-02-2018, 08:08 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by storage_man
Yes the update is successful, but it never wrote that .xml file to the USB drive ! My question is can I run it again ?
If your hooked up to wifi, give it a few days to confirm the update. It took mine about a week.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:41 PM
storage_man
Elder User
Originally Posted by msgtord
If your hooked up to wifi, give it a few days to confirm the update. It took mine about a week.
Question from a NEWBE, to hook up to whom ? SO what your saying you can update via USB, and not tell ford anything about it and if your vehicle has WIFI turned on, it will update itself ? I find it hard to believe that just turning on WIFI will allow your vehicle to connect to Ford and update your account ? But I could be wrong, it won't be the first time.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:09 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Question from a NEWBE, to hook up to whom ? SO what your saying you can update via USB, and not tell ford anything about it and if your vehicle has WIFI turned on, it will update itself ? I find it hard to believe that just turning on WIFI will allow your vehicle to connect to Ford and update your account ? But I could be wrong, it won't be the first time.
You sir are correct and yes, the poster is also correct because that`s what I did during the last 2.3 update.

I had "Automatic Updates" turned on in the SYNC system plus I had my vehicle connected via to my home network and within an hour after the USB update, my Ford Owner account was undated with the new 2.3 update info so I didn`t have to use the same USB stick to send the info back to the Ford Owner website. I didn`t do it with the 3.0 update because I wanted to try using the USB stick and it worked but it took a day for the Ford Owner website to show that I updated to 3.0

Either way will work but you must have the two features mentioned above turned on and connected for the WiFi update to work and remember, reporting back to the Ford Owner website sometimes can take awhile so one must be patient if it doesn`t happen immediately. It`s not uncommon for this to take anywhere from an hour to over a week or longer so don`t get discouraged or frustrated.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:54 AM
storage_man
Elder User
OK - I'll give it a try.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:09 AM
AeroCare
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have automatic updates selected, I also have it connected to my home's wifi. On my laptop it says 3.0 is available but when I do the Look for updates in my truck it tells me the last time I searched for an update with the correct actual time but it doesn't tell me there's a 3.0 available. I'm still on 2.3.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:34 PM
wgierczynski
Senior User
Did the update thru USB ... no issues

Old 04-04-2018, 08:02 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroCare
I have automatic updates selected, I also have it connected to my home's wifi. On my laptop it says 3.0 is available but when I do the Look for updates in my truck it tells me the last time I searched for an update with the correct actual time but it doesn't tell me there's a 3.0 available. I'm still on 2.3.
Unless something has drastically changed for the 2018 F150`s, the vehicle itself will not tell you when an update is available when you hit the Scan For Updates button in the SYNC system. The only way one can tell if an update is available is by going to the Ford Owner website. Some 2018 owners have reported that their vehicle actually updated to 3.0 via WiFi and as usual, when one gets in their vehicle after a SYNC system WiFi update, there will be a symbol on the screen indicating such.

I think the Scan For Update feature in the SYNC system is really messed up because mine also says the last time it checked for updates was on March 10th 2018 and whenever I hit Scan For Updates, all it does is spin like it`s searching but nothing ever happens so it just goes back to the same Mach 10th 2018 message. My vehicle has been updated to 3.0 and the SYNC screen plus the Ford Owner website says so.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:05 AM
AeroCare
Senior User
Looks like the Ford download interface on their web page doesn't like dealing with FireFox. I signed onto the owners page using IE and it downloaded with no problem.
Same thing happened to me with Firefox, spinning wheel. I used Safari and it downloaded quickly but then I couldn't get step #2. When I clicked on how to install it told me that didn't apply to the 2018 F150 and gave me videos on how to update it from the truck via wifi.

So now I have it on my portable hard drive, do I just plug it into the truck's USB and it'll do it's thing or what is the next step?

Old 04-04-2018, 10:09 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Start the truck and then just plug it in. In a few minutes you should see a note at the top of the screen that says something like update in progress.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:34 PM
jbrophy11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'17 Lariat SCREW w/NAV - I just updated successfully to 3.0 via USB. A month ago I successfully updated from 2.2 to 2.3 via WiFi after numerous failed attempts over USB. I'm technical, so I tried quite a few workarounds, etc and what I think the problem was, faulty USB port on truck. Several months ago, out of the blue, one of my USB ports started acting up - wasn't recognizing devices periodically, etc - so I started using the other USB port without issue. The many failed update attempts over USB, I was using the troublesome port - I had forgotten about it and did not connect the events. Light bulb in my head went off today when I realized this, sure enough.....tried the other port with a 32gb USB drive and worked like a charm. It took approx ~5 mins for the Updating System Software notification to appear and then another 20-30mins for the next notification to appear that the install was complete. I made sure no additional devices were connected before the install (turned bluetooth off on my phone to prevent that from also connecting).

Old 04-04-2018, 10:03 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
For those who might be having issues here's what happened to me.

I used Safari because Firefox was not working, it kept giving me a spinning wheel that never stopped. I downloaded the file but instead of a zip file I was getting a regular file folder called JR3T-14G381-AL. Even though it's downloading as a zip file once it finishes it's not a zip folder like it shows in the instructions. I unchecked the "open safe files after downloading" from the preferences in Safari but it still did it so I opened and closed Safari a couple of times and then it downloaded correctly.

After that I opened it with Stuffit Expander and the files came out as they were supposed to. Tomorrow I'll try to install it.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:49 AM
AeroCare
Senior User
So I updated it in about 15 minutes and all went well but it didn't generate the xml file for me to let Ford know I updated so I'm just going to wait a few days and check the website to see if it lets Ford know via wifi. My truck always connects to my wifi at home when it's in the garage. Instead of the xml file it created another folder that says this :

Old 04-05-2018, 11:52 AM
AeroCare
Senior User
Originally Posted by Terryd91
finally popped up, but i only have 16gb flash drives at work, dang it.
I would try it with the 16gb stick. It only has 2gb on the drive after you expand it anyway. I'm sure it needs a little wiggle room to work but it might not be that much. Let us know how it went.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Dodgerguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also updated to 3.0 today. Got the update in progress message but after about an hour I still could not get confirmation that the update was finished. After I pulled the thumb drive I then got the completion message but no xml file. I called Ford Customer Service and was told that as long as I had 3.0 showing as my current version I was good to go. They said that they would gradually get it updated on the owner web site. I have a 2018 model.

Quick Reply: It`s official....... SYNC 3 version 3.0 has been released