How to go on with my E4OD? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

How to go on with my E4OD?

Old 03-17-2018, 06:41 AM
bart f-350
Senior User
bart f-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to go on with my E4OD?

Hello,
I just had my E4OD puking out quite a bit of it's oil out on the road, these's non at the dipstick now, and it seems that only the front seal temporarely failed, to find out if it's only that, I'd like to fill her up to level and have a drive.
But since I don't know what oil it was filled with from the beginning, and in what state the oil left in there is, I don't know which oil to pour in?

and since a bottle of 1 liter (about 1 qrt) sells here for 20€/L it troubles me a bit to trow all that away?
since I understood that the E4OD needs 20 qrts?

Old 03-17-2018, 09:47 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
You need MERCON V fluid regardless of what was in it before. You probably lost 2-4 liters.

Your two choices are to put more in it (check the dipstick after adding each liter) or to take the transmission out and replace the seal. If I were to remove the transmission to check the seal I would install a new one, not keep the old one no matter what it looked like. There is a better seal available, it is made from a material called Viton.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:28 PM
bart f-350
Senior User
Yep, I was told about that.
Today I tried to get some oil, so I could try to determine what has happened, and I decided to undo the cooler line at the back, just before the transfer case.
I had a glass jar present to catch the oil, but just a tiny little bit came out.
the fluid was a dark red, almost brownish color, nothing in there which looked like spec's,or pieces from something, it didn't smelled burned either.
actually it has the same color as the oil in the transfer case!??
so, more and more it looks like that I have had good chance with all this???
Even it is a lot of work, (having no shop, I have to do everything on the driveway) I'm thinking of changing that dreaded seal to a nwe viton one. gives me peace of heart...

Old 03-17-2018, 09:31 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
If you do replace the seal I recommend replacing the bushing, too. It's right behind the seal. It should be very inexpensive and will help the new seal last longer.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:33 AM
bart f-350
Senior User
I found a Texaco oil, with the following spec's: M2C138-CJ ou M2C166-H and Caterpillar TO-2, Aisin Warner T-III, GM Dexron-IIIG, Ford Mercon, Allison C4, Man 339 Type V1, Voith 55.6335.3x, ZF TE-ML 04D, 09, 17C.
would that do?

Or this one:Castrol Transmax Dex III Multivehicle

Castrol Allison C4
Allison TES 389
Meets Ford Mercon®
GM Dexron® IIIH
MAN 339 Z1
MAN 339 V1
MB-Approval 236.9
Voith H55.6335.xx
Volvo 97340, 97341
ZF TE-ML 04D, 14A

Old 03-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
That will work, but if you can find MERCON V it's a better fluid.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:23 AM
bart f-350
Senior User
seen it's price, and that I'm uncertain at this point of the damage eventually done to the internals of this trans at this time, I prefer to go with the Mercon, and seen the level of where I had to get some of the old fluid, I think there's not much fluid left in the trans, so completely draining and giving her a new refill is in her future.
could you tell me if there is a TC drain bolt on it, and how to get there? (it seems that I can't turn the TC due to the compression of the diesel engine)

and after that, I'd like to clock up some miles to see if everything is as it should be, and then I eventually change the fluid to MerconV.
I'm also busy to get a decent cooler and a trans temp meter.
Do you have any Idea where I could best order that TC seal and bushing? (next trans shop is 500 miles away from me.)
Thanks.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:12 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
I've turned a diesel with a socket on the crank pulley and a breaker bar. There is a drain plug on the torque converter. Remove the sheet metal cover from the bellhousing and use a breaker bar to turn the engine to find the drain plug.

I don't know what to get the parts. I used to get all of my parts from a company that only sold wholesale, not retail.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.