Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ebpv pedestal rebuild? or buy new??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:34 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
I have always wondered if this was good or bad as "everyone" says that having a large difference between boost and exhaust back pressure is bad. How much exhaust back pressure do you normally see when using it as a brake? It is something I always wanted to do but never did. Not saying it is bad to do as many do and have done for years but it does seem to go against the boost ebp delta is bad statement
Have not tried it on my 99 but on my 97 I've seen back pressure as high as 40 PSI. Generally the high mark is in the mid to upper 30's PSI. Think PCM limits back pressure to 44 PSI, on the 97. Once back pressure goes up to the low to mid 20's boost goes to zero pretty quickly. So the engine isn't really producing much power, just using internal compression to slow the beast down.

Of course the 99-03 model design are a bit different but the concept is the same.. .

Old 03-21-2018, 08:10 PM
ff lc freak
Cross-Country
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Ouch! An Alero over a full size Bronco?
Tell me about it. But, in his defense, he's getting about twice the fuel mileage than the Bronco.

Thread hijack over. Sorry.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:50 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by jstihl
....it only kicks in while decelerating, once i hit 37 mph it will activate as it downshifts.
Who wrote that tune?

​​​​​​​

Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Who wrote that tune?

​​​​​​​
Jody wrote the tune BUT, i stand corrected . spoke with jody today and he informed me the the ebpv does not do anything in his tow tune. Not sure where i heard that it did. all he uses is the torque converter and coast clutch in the tune to help slow the truck down . sorry for the mis-information. Hey cleatus, i know your are a genius on the trucks and was wondering what you thought about wiring the wastegate shut? spoke to jody and he told me that i should be seeing 28- 30 psi boost with his tune, and im only getting 25 psi. he told me to wire the wastegate closed, so i tried it and i do notice a difference. Do you think that may be harmful ? still only seeing 26 psi so i may have a small leak somewhere that is impossible to find. i am about to rebuild my turbo with sp turbo kit, and was going to put on a turbo master wastegate( already bought it), but jody said to wire it shut and call it a day. i sometimes get a p0476 code which is basically saying that the ebpv isn't operating correct during KOER. So i just bought a whole new ebpv instead of rebuild kit . At least i can rule that out and not worry about it. Jeff at deisel o rings said i don't need to set the tension on a new ebpv. hope he is right.....

Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Jody wrote the tune BUT, i stand corrected . spoke with jody today and he informed me the the ebpv does not do anything in his tow tune. Not sure where i heard that it did. all he uses is the torque converter and coast clutch in the tune to help slow the truck down .
Not to pat my own back, but I really didn't think anyone else was doing the automatic backpressure valve on deceleration and then you mentioned the magic number of 37 MPH and that kind of put the final nail in the coffin to quell my curiosity. If you think that having the coast clutch/torque converter cluth applied in 3rd on deceleration works good, you haven't lived until the backpressure valve is closed on deceleration!

Hey cleatus, i know your are a genius on the trucks and was wondering what you thought about wiring the wastegate shut?
I'm no genius but I do it to all stock-injector trucks. But then again, I'm at 4000 ft. altitude (I know, not THAT high) and we need all the help we can get around here. Closer to sea level and I'd reconsider.

spoke to jody and he told me that i should be seeing 28- 30 psi boost with his tune, and im only getting 25 psi. he told me to wire the wastegate closed, so i tried it and i do notice a difference. Do you think that may be harmful ? still only seeing 26 psi so i may have a small leak somewhere that is impossible to find. i am about to rebuild my turbo with sp turbo kit, and was going to put on a turbo master wastegate( already bought it), but jody said to wire it shut and call it a day. i sometimes get a p0476 code which is basically saying that the ebpv isn't operating correct during KOER. So i just bought a whole new ebpv instead of rebuild kit . At least i can rule that out and not worry about it. Jeff at deisel o rings said i don't need to set the tension on a new ebpv. hope he is right.....
I don't really "do" boost numbers. Yes, there is a point when too-low is obvious but I certainly don't sweat 3-5 PSI because of my altitude. If I chased boost problems, I'd never quit asking questions on forums! My 1995 has NEVER gone higher than 14 PSI with the stock turbo (no leaks) and with the E99 turbo (.84A/R) it's still a stretch to get above 17-18 even when it seems everyone else in internetz land says 20 on stock tuning and the 1.15 A/R turbine housing is easy. I know there's nothing wrong with the truck so I don't let it bother me. I can't tell you about the new backpressure valve as I have never bought one. If you already have the Turbomaster, it's not going to hurt to put it on but crank it down and drive! If your boost numbers exceed 30 PSI, adjust as necessary because there's no need to work the turbo that hard since your drive pressure is blisteringly high at that point. Even when running an all-stock turbocharger on the 2000 with 250/200% injectors, there was no need to do anything with the turbo for regular daily driving. It would hit 25-28 PSI and SCOOT!