6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hard start no matter the outside temps

Old 08-08-2018, 09:11 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 501 Likes on 359 Posts
Fuel pressure should be at least 60psi all the time IIRC.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:19 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,696 Posts
Ford's minimum spec, and that is at Wide Open Throttle, is 45 psig. A 50 psig minimum would be wise to maintain just for the safety margin.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:22 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by btmansfi
Thanks for the reply. I drove it today, so I'll let it sit for another day before I drive it again. I'll make sure to check the fuel bowl before I drive it again. I bought the blue spring kit when I bought the truck (8-9 months ago) but never got around to installing it. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

As far as fuel pressure, should I checking it before starting it? While it's cranking? After it's running? And what range of values should I be looking for?
So ................

What aftermarket fuel pressure sensor and gauge have you installed?

Old 08-08-2018, 09:27 AM
btmansfi
Cross-Country
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
So ................

What aftermarket fuel pressure sensor and gauge have you installed?
Isn't fuel pressure one of the diagnostics that can be measured on most OBDII readers? I have the ForScan but prior to that I had a Scan Gauge II, and it had a line for "FPR" which I assume was fuel pressure.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:42 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,399 Posts
No sensor for Fuel pressure unless you install a gauge.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:27 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Lots of threads on installing fuel pressure measurement.

Ford/International chose to install neither a sensor nor a gauge.

There is a convenient test port that they did install though.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:38 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I never saw you mention your EGR valve status. Is it deleted?

If not, then the P0401 can indicate a failing EGR valve. It can also indicate an issue w/ the EBP sensor or the IAT2 sensor.

Have you fixed glow plug #3 yet?

Then, if you still have an injector #3 code, you must track down if it is stiction, a bad injector, or a FICM issue. It could even be an issue w/ a leak in the high pressure oil system at an injector (as stated above). Since you have good FICM MPower (didn't see anything about Logic Power though), then the only way to test the FICM is to send it in or try a known good one.

Along w/ fuel pressure, I would do a bubble test to see if you have any air bubbles in the fuel with the key on. Remove the secondary fuel filter cap, drain the diesel, fill the bowl w/ the key (do not crank).

You said you only had 1500 miles on the fuel filters, but that really means nothing. One bad tank of fuel, an algae bloom due to water, and then you have pluggage. You can also have a small air leak at the primary fuel filter o-ring or at the WIF drain plug o-ring (and there are other places for leaks as well).

Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
BEST ELECTRONIC FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE INSTALL THREAD:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-folder.html

Old 08-08-2018, 11:06 AM
btmansfi
Cross-Country
I never saw you mention your EGR valve status. Is it deleted?

If not, then the P0401 can indicate a failing EGR valve. It can also indicate an issue w/ the EBP sensor or the IAT2 sensor.

Have you fixed glow plug #3 yet?

Then, if you still have an injector #3 code, you must track down if it is stiction, a bad injector, or a FICM issue. It could even be an issue w/ a leak in the high pressure oil system at an injector (as stated above). Since you have good FICM MPower (didn't see anything about Logic Power though), then the only way to test the FICM is to send it in or try a known good one.

Along w/ fuel pressure, I would do a bubble test to see if you have any air bubbles in the fuel with the key on. Remove the secondary fuel filter cap, drain the diesel, fill the bowl w/ the key (do not crank).

You said you only had 1500 miles on the fuel filters, but that really means nothing. One bad tank of fuel, an algae bloom due to water, and then you have pluggage. You can also have a small air leak at the primary fuel filter o-ring or at the WIF drain plug o-ring (and there are other places for leaks as well).
Mark,
Thanks for the responses. It is not deleted. Truck is bone stock. I just purchased everything to set up a fuel gauge, so I'll do that and the blue spring upgrade this weekend (hopefully). I'll see if that resolves the issue. If it doesn't, then I'll go on down the list....glow plug, bubble test, etc.

I am by no means a mechanic but the fact that it is tough to get started no matter the temperature, but once you get it started it's 100% fine. Today for example. It was 90 degrees out and has been in the 90s for the past few days. Took 4 cranks for it to get started. I drove it 500' down the street and turned it off. It started right up on the first crank. I'm about to go to lunch, but I'm 100% certain that it'll start up just fine. It'll start up just fine when I head home from work around 5:00. But once it sits for a day or so, it's back to having issues getting it to start that first time.

Being that it seems to run fine and even start fine after that initial start, it leads me to believe that the "issue" resolves itself temporarily once it has been started, but then reappears after its sat for an extended period. No what temporary "issue" that could be is the million dollar question.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:00 PM
xcrsp440
Fleet Mechanic
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts
There are a few things needed to start. Get a monitoring device or app and watch the sensor outputs while it cranks but won’t start.
Some key inputs are FICM voltages, FICM sync, cranking rpm and injector oil pressure. One or more of them has to be out of the required values. That can then help diagnose the problem.
Do a google on diesel tech Ron ford 6.0 no start videos. A lot to be learned.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:05 PM
btmansfi
Cross-Country
BEST ELECTRONIC FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE INSTALL THREAD:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-folder.html
It’s been a while and honestly I rarely drive the Excursion so I finally got around to checking fuel pressure. Key off, it’s 0. Key on engine off, it goes up to about 32psi for 10 seconds or so and then drops t zero. At idle, it’s about 38psi. Wife wasn’t home and my gauge hose is only about a foot long so I couldn’t check it at WOT.

Are those pressures normal? Is it normal for it to go from 0 key off to low 30s KOEO and then drop back to 0 after 10 seconds or so?

The only codes present are for #3 glow plug and #3 contribution/balance. I did the injector self text and it passed. Not an expert, but I don’t think 1 glow plug would cause my starting issues.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:08 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Dropping to zero w/ key off is normal. The rest of it isn't and can damage injectors. 50 psig minimum (as posted previously).

Old 02-14-2019, 06:15 PM
btmansfi
Cross-Country
Dropping to zero w/ key off is normal. The rest of it isn't and can damage injectors. 50 psig minimum (as posted previously).
What could cause the low fuel pressure, given my other symptoms? Takes 4 cranks to get it started no matter the temps outside after it has sat for a day or more. Once it gets started, it’ll run all day. I can drive to work and leave it parked for 8 hours and it’ll start right up on the first attempt. But once it sits for 24+ hours it takes 4 cranks to start again. Usually the first crank will start the engine for a fraction of a second and will then die.

I did do the blue spring upgrade when I purchased the vehicle. I’ve also replaced both fuel filters twice...once when I purchased it, and again just to see if that was the issue.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:13 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Maybe the fuel pump is getting weak. Maybe the fuel tank pickup tube has a crack. Probably a few other possibilities. All I know is that the blue spring doesn't guarantee good fuel pressure.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:01 PM
mastersativa
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be looking into fuel, or oil. Im sure that you are having some sort of "bleed off" issue. You said your fuel pressure was 38, not good. Does it still have factory fuel pump? I would look at replacing/upgrading pump. When I bought my 6.0 it had an airdog already on it. It was always noisy, so I didn't think much about it. Till it quit working, so I ordered a replacement motor from airdog. Wow what a difference, cant even hear it now and runs much better. That's where I would start with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard start no matter the outside temps