General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Anybody else into garden tractors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 09:13 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 214 is a good maxhine. My uncle mkwed with one for 20 years. Once it finally quit on him, I tried very hard to buy it but he wouldn’t come off of it. He bought a new husqvarna lowes garden tractor. What a POS! He’s definitely not satisfied and is now planning to get the 214 running again.
The 300-400’s will do some serious work with their hydraulics, that box blade I put on the 318 has to weigh 350 pounds or better, the tractor would ride a wheelie until I put weights on the front.
Ive been telling the wifey that I want to get into garden tractor pulling and create a pull track in one of our fields for local competition. Maybe someday soon.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:56 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only problem is , if the Hydrostatic trans goes out , you’ll need to either 1 find another compatible tractor or 2 trash the tractor and buy new, if taken care of like , not towing it back wards or running the thing out of fluid , it will last many many years , I was talking to our John Deere rep and that’s what he said about the first 400 I bought , I searched CL for days looking and most 400 were East coast, by the truck loads , I’m West coast nothing , happened Apone one JD 400 up in State of Washington , I killed 3 birds with one stone , hooked the flat bed trailer up and headed out , bought the JD 400 with Implements , picked up the engine and a load of hay , best road trip I had in a long time , now I’m trying to problem solve my father in laws 05 yardman from hell, it’s has a electrical short and won’t start, ended up replacing Battery, silinoid , starter and ordered a safety switch for the clutch , witch if it’s not 1 it’s has to be the other 2, got it running then it died , I’ll take my Craftsmen any day ,lol

Old 04-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Originally Posted by 04badford
The only problem is , if the Hydrostatic trans goes out , you’ll need to either 1 find another compatible tractor or 2 trash the tractor and buy new, if taken care of like , not towing it back wards or running the thing out of fluid , it will last many many years , I was talking to our John Deere rep and that’s what he said about the first 400 I bought , I searched CL for days looking and most 400 were East coast, by the truck loads , I’m West coast nothing , happened Apone one JD 400 up in State of Washington , I killed 3 birds with one stone , hooked the flat bed trailer up and headed out , bought the JD 400 with Implements , picked up the engine and a load of hay , best road trip I had in a long time , now I’m trying to problem solve my father in laws 05 yardman from hell, it’s has a electrical short and won’t start, ended up replacing Battery, silinoid , starter and ordered a safety switch for the clutch , witch if it’s not 1 it’s has to be the other 2, got it running then it died , I’ll take my Craftsmen any day ,lol

oh man I live in farmland USA, john deere dealers on every corner and old garden tractors EVERYWHERE. They’re a dime a dozen here. On my local craiglist, I can find tons of used running and not running 300’s & 400’s.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:04 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
I know , and some that never left the Garage, I just couldn’t drive that far to go get one, but I know where to get parts , in the event something comes up,lol

Old 04-17-2018, 06:04 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
<div style="text-align:left;">I know , and some that never left the Garage, I just couldn’t drive that far to go get one, but I know where to get parts , in the event something comes up,lol</div>

Old 04-17-2018, 07:41 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
I know , and some that never left the Garage, I just couldn’t drive that far to go get one, but I know where to get parts , in the event something comes up,lol
you let me if I can ever help ya find something.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:32 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Thanks Yoteman , I’ll keep ya in mind , hey what happened to the OP thread starter ? Wonder if he trucking around on a mini tractor , got stuck and waiting for a pull , maybe no Net out in the Wild blue Yonder ,lol

Old 04-18-2018, 03:42 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by thecause17
Nice. I like my 214 a lot so far, but if I pick up a second one it'll be bigger, either 300 series, 400 series or something with hydraulics.

I've been working on my quite a bit, also ended up picking up a parts 212 a couple weeks ago for a good price. Kept a nearly new set of AG tires and a front blade for myself, along with a few body panels and other misc. parts. The rest I sold or gave away and basically got my parts for free. Finished tuning up the 214 a few days ago. Grass is growing so I'll mow with it for the first time this week.
the Ag tires will get more traction, the other JD has Turf tires and for what I do , its more of a spin out derby , loved the turf for mowing though .i use the Craftsman for the yard and the Cows for the rest , lol

Old 05-13-2018, 09:06 AM
thecause17
Junior User

the Ag tires will get more traction, the other JD has Turf tires and for what I do , its more of a spin out derby , loved the turf for mowing though .i use the Craftsman for the yard and the Cows for the rest , lol
I put them on the other day, but haven't used it since then. I don't know if I'll leave them on for mowing or not. I will if they don't tear up the yard too much, so I'll test it out and see.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:10 AM
thecause17
Junior User
Here's a few more videos of what I've been doing with the tractor lately:

Old 01-21-2022, 08:22 AM
thecause17
Junior User
Been a while since I posted here. I've since gotten rid of the 214 and play mostly around with the 300 series John Deere tractors now, though I've had a couple I bought this year to flip. Here's a few videos from this past year of some of the different tractors/projects.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:33 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,678 Likes on 2,606 Posts
Too bad you're not near Western Kentucky. My nephew and his extended family could use a lot of what you're doing there!

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-21-2022, 10:47 AM
Gomerpyle
Hotshot
Received 2,626 Likes on 1,284 Posts
My garden tractor. It's not too small, but it does everything (and more) than I need.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:16 AM
thecause17
Junior User
Originally Posted by Gomerpyle
My garden tractor. It's not too small, but it does everything (and more) than I need.
Yes, I'd say that's plenty for any size garden.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:50 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Thought I posted this , but I didnt

Quick Reply: Anybody else into garden tractors?