Separate rear amber turn lamps - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Separate rear amber turn lamps

Old 03-14-2018, 02:38 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Suffolkman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Separate rear amber turn lamps

Looking for some help please. I have just purchased a 1950 F1 half ton pickup. I have fitted headlamps that carry a small pilot bulb to make the headlamps the running lights as well. The original combined front running/indicator lights are now just indicators. That all works fine.On the rear I have fitted some replica Model A lights with 2 bulbs each side of the rear. These are stop/tail on one bulb, and indicator the other. I have wired one side and tested it, and all works as it should. I have suddenly realized that when I fit the second lamp I can slip the stop and tail wires in to the double connectors to join the others. But I cannot join the left & right indicators together as of course they will both flash together. I seem to be a feed wire short. HELP !

Old 03-14-2018, 05:53 AM
Y-Block Limey
Senior User
Y-Block Limey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Y-Block Limey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This might be an interesting problem to solve. Hopefully someone with specific knowledge will be along shortly, but here's my thinking on it (FWIW).

I believe the stop/turn signal originates at the indicator stalk on the steering column, and is fed with input from the brake light switch and the main lighting switch. So there isn't a dedicated rear turn signal (for either side) heading out rearward along the wiring loom. In your case, the lighting/stop signals are combined and then the indicator stalk either allows them to pass through as they are, or modifies them to flash as required. You would have to provide that wire separately to eacj rear corner I would imagine.

My '56 utility truck has separate rear amber turn signals, but it also has a non-original indicator stalk. I presume those two facts are related. The green tell-tales don't operate in the dash binnacle either - those are provided on the 'aftermarket' indicator unit itself on the column.

I haven't got the truck home yet either so I can't go and check it out at the moment, but I'll help all I can when I get it home - if that's any use?

Old 03-14-2018, 07:04 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
I recently dealt with a similar situation on my 53 Chevy Belair. A previous owner had installed 54 tail lights on the car which have only one double filament bulb per side for both brakes and directional signals. When I replaced the 54 tail light assemblies with the proper 53 assemblies I found that the brakes and directional signals were two different bulbs. In order to separate the brake and directional signals and make the 53 lights work properly, I had to disconnect the brake light wire from the brake light switch and replace it with another wire and run it to the rear. The original wire coming from the brake light switch disappeared into the harness and joined with the directional signal wire which carried both signals to the rear. I suspect you have the same situation on your truck.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:14 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Suffolkman View Post
I seem to be a feed wire short. HELP !
Yes, and more than one feed wire. Your truck did not originally come with turn signals so you will need to run a wire from the left turn signal to the left rear and the right turn signal to the right rear.

You might also consider the brightness of those lights, I also added Model A lights to my truck but I found that they are not as bright as I would like. I found these replacement bulbs at Ron Francis that are a significant improvement.

Turn Signal - 50 candle power vs 6 cp: https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=B%2D1015
Tail Lights - 32 candle power: https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=B%2D1010

-

Old 03-14-2018, 08:20 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Thank to all for your replies. I now have all 4 indicators working. I have tail lights but no brake lights. I suspect, like others...there is a link wire from the output of the brake light switch to the flasher unit.. I am thinking I need to find that link and cut it. Then run a new wire from the output of the brake light switch to each rear brake light wires . Now I have just got to find the brake light switch. Do others agree ?.

Suffolkman

Old 03-14-2018, 08:29 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
That is usually controlled in the turn signal switch. You need a wire from that switch to the brake light switch. The attached should give an idea of the system.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
910-62850.pdf (59.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:20 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
Thank to all for your replies. I now have all 4 indicators working. I have tail lights but no brake lights. I suspect, like others...there is a link wire from the output of the brake light switch to the flasher unit.. I am thinking I need to find that link and cut it. Then run a new wire from the output of the brake light switch to each rear brake light wires . Now I have just got to find the brake light switch. Do others agree ?.

Suffolkman
That is indeed correct. I don't remember the exact location of the original brake light switch on a 50 F-1 but it is probably under the dash and activated by the brake pedal OR on a pressure switch mounted on the brake master cylinder. If you run a separate brake light wire you may want to consider stubbing out a feed for a third brake light in the future if you don't already have one.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:50 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Nice looking Vern. What light did you use?

Old 03-14-2018, 11:02 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by petemcl View Post
Nice looking Vern. What light did you use?
I don't remember the vendor but I picked it up on Ebay. Look for universal third brake light. There are a million of them on there. Works great. Easy to mount. Sticks onto rear glass with double-sided tape. Ran wiring down behind cardboard upholstery behind seat.

This one is very similar if not the same one and it is very reasonably priced...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Univers...daYb3N&vxp=mtr

Old 03-14-2018, 11:44 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods View Post
That is indeed correct. I don't remember the exact location of the original brake light switch on a 50 F-1 but it is probably under the dash and activated by the brake pedal OR on a pressure switch mounted on the brake master cylinder. If you run a separate brake light wire you may want to consider stubbing out a feed for a third brake light in the future if you don't already have one.
Thanks for that, I will have a look tomorrow. The brake light switch is not in the cab. Assume it is by master cylinder. Like the third brake light. Might look into that aswell.

Suffolkman

Old 03-14-2018, 12:54 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Looking for some help please. I have just purchased a 1950 F1 half ton pickup. I have fitted headlamps that carry a small pilot bulb to make the headlamps the running lights as well. The original combined front running/indicator lights are now just indicators. That all works fine.On the rear I have fitted some replica Model A lights with 2 bulbs each side of the rear. These are stop/tail on one bulb, and indicator the other. I have wired one side and tested it, and all works as it should. I have suddenly realized that when I fit the second lamp I can slip the stop and tail wires in to the double connectors to join the others. But I cannot join the left & right indicators together as of course they will both flash together. I seem to be a feed wire short. HELP !
Shouldn't the rear turn signal indicator lights be red, not amber? That how it is in the United States.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:34 PM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to behold
Not all states require red turn lights nor does most if not all of Europe. Amber (or yellow) is an authorized color in CA for certain years.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:16 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords View Post
Not all states require red turn lights nor does most if not all of Europe. Amber (or yellow) is an authorized color in CA for certain years.
Wow, I didn't know that. I should said that's how it is in PA.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
"Generally, but with some regional exceptions, lamps facing rearward must emit red light, lamps facing sideward and all turn signals must emit amber light, while lamps facing frontward must emit white or selective yellow light. No other colors are permitted except on emergency vehicles." (USA)

Old 03-14-2018, 09:54 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Here is the PA Standard for lighting (see appendix A)
https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/0...53/s153.5.html

It looks like turn signals in the rear can be yellow or red but not the stop lights which must be red. So in order to have yellow turn signals in the rear you would need 3 separate lenses and bulbs.

Regardless the Model A stop light lenses look red when lit even though the printing looks yellow unlit. I'll post a picture later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Separate rear amber turn lamps

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.