1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Separate rear amber turn lamps

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 01:48 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
You would only need two bulbs and lenses per side, a red tail/stop and a amber(yellow) turn. This could be done in a single divided housing per side.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:15 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by petemcl
Here is the PA Standard for lighting (see appendix A)
https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/0...53/s153.5.html

It looks like turn signals in the rear can be yellow or red but not the stop lights which must be red. So in order to have yellow turn signals in the rear you would need 3 separate lenses and bulbs.

Regardless the Model A stop light lenses look red when lit even though the printing looks yellow unlit. I'll post a picture later.
The reproduction Model A lamps I am fitting have the top lens amber for the turns signals, and the bottom lens red for stop & tail. Ideal for the UK where most people used to watching for amber turn signals.

Suffolkman

Old 03-15-2018, 06:55 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Suffolkman
The reproduction Model A lamps I am fitting have the top lens amber for the turns signals, and the bottom lens red for stop & tail. Ideal for the UK where most people used to watching for amber turn signals.

Suffolkman
I think most here in the USA are also used to watching for amber turn signals also as most all modern cars have them now. Before I changed my 54 tail light assemblies to 53s I had converted my backup lenses to amber directional signals.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:16 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
I was wrong again! I substitute teach since I retired and on my way to school I noticed the car in front of me had Amber turn signals!

Funny how we see things, or think we see things, sometimes. I am so ised to Working on old Ford truck turn signals that I think all rear turn signals are red!

Old 03-15-2018, 07:56 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
You would only need two bulbs and lenses per side, a red tail/stop and a amber(yellow) turn. This could be done in a single divided housing per side.
That's true assuming a dual filament bulb. The Model A lights are single filament.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:02 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'

Suffolkman
Is the red chamber in the light dual filaments? Mine is single filament.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:12 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Amber Turn Signals

Here's something from Wikipedia:

In Canada and the US the rear signals may be amber or red. American regulators and other proponents of red rear turn signals have historically asserted there is no proven safety benefit to amber signals, though it has been recognized since the 1960s that amber turn signals are more quickly spotted than red ones. International proponents of amber rear signals say they are more easily discernible as turn signals, and U.S. studies in the early 1990s demonstrated improvements in the speed and accuracy of following drivers' reaction to stop lamps when the turn signals were amber rather than red.

A 2008 U.S. study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) suggests vehicles with amber rear signals rather than red ones are up to 28% less likely to be involved in certain kinds of collisions,and a 2009 NHTSA study determined there is a significant overall safety benefit to amber rather than red rear turn signals.

That "28% less likely to be involved in certain kinds of collisions" is the reason I converted mine to amber...

Old 03-15-2018, 08:58 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Here's something from Wikipedia:

In Canada and the US the rear signals may be amber or red. American regulators and other proponents of red rear turn signals have historically asserted there is no proven safety benefit to amber signals, though it has been recognized since the 1960s that amber turn signals are more quickly spotted than red ones. International proponents of amber rear signals say they are more easily discernible as turn signals, and U.S. studies in the early 1990s demonstrated improvements in the speed and accuracy of following drivers' reaction to stop lamps when the turn signals were amber rather than red.

A 2008 U.S. study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) suggests vehicles with amber rear signals rather than red ones are up to 28% less likely to be involved in certain kinds of collisions,and a 2009 NHTSA study determined there is a significant overall safety benefit to amber rather than red rear turn signals.

That "28% less likely to be involved in certain kinds of collisions" is the reason I converted mine to amber...
So I should put amber lenses on my Signal Stat turn signals?

Old 03-15-2018, 09:11 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
IMHO, it's a no-brainer if you are 28% less likely to be involved in certain rear end collisions...

Old 03-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by petemcl

Is the red chamber in the light dual filaments? Mine is single filament.
Yes, on my repro Model A lamps the red chamber has a double pole bulb Stop/tail.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:43 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
OK. Lets move even more toward the dark side here with devices that significantly improve safety. In addition to the CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Light) that Vern has shown us in Post #7 the latest safety add-on is to have that light pulse or strobe when the brakes are applied. Here is one of the devices but there are lots out there. You can also search YouTube for videos.
Vehicle Brake Light Flasher Module. Safety Flash Light Alert. Universal. For Motorcycles and Cars Vehicle Brake Light Flasher Module. Safety Flash Light Alert. Universal. For Motorcycles and Cars

Sorry for the hijack Suffolkman.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
IMHO, it's a no-brainer if you are 28% less likely to be involved in certain rear end collisions...
More Doctors smoke Lucky Strike than any other cigarette. I'm thinking a flash strobe light oughtta get their attention too, maybe a flare, some chaff, etc.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:39 AM
Y-Block Limey
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suffolkman
You could save yourself all this hassle with turn signal wiring, and confuse the bejeesus out of everyone on the UK roads, by simply going with semaphore trafficators instead.

They would be much more fun.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:41 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tedster9
More Doctors smoke Lucky Strike than any other cigarette. I'm thinking a flash strobe light oughtta get their attention too, maybe a flare, some chaff, etc.
I don't get the reference to Lucky Strike cigarettes, but anything that can be done legally to garner more attention would increase safety. I am 100% in favor of that.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:56 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by abe
So I should put amber lenses on my Signal Stat turn signals?
I looked on eBay last night for Amber lenses for my Grote turn signals. I couldn't find any, but I found 3 screw hole Signal Stat lenses that look the same. I wonder if they would fit?

Quick Reply: Separate rear amber turn lamps