2008 F250 LED Blinker Resistor Assistance - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

2008 F250 LED Blinker Resistor Assistance

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 03-14-2018, 01:21 AM
Robert Green
Senior User
Robert Green is starting off with a positive reputation.

I've searched and searched through thread after thread, and all I've found are threads for F150's, Navigator's, 11-17 Superdutys, or 93-07 Superdutys.

For whatever reason I can not find a thread that pertains to resistor installs on the 08-10 Superdutys, I want to assume it's like the newer models and you clip the resistor on to the outer wires at the blinkers.... But I know better than that.

Has anyone switched to led in their 08-10 model?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:39 AM
moymurfs
Senior User
moymurfs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.moymurfs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's easier to just install a new flasher made for leds.
Plug in new bulbs & plug in new flasher.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:41 AM
Mike189677
Posting Guru
Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by moymurfs View Post
It's easier to just install a new flasher made for leds.
Plug in new bulbs & plug in new flasher.
08 and up the change has to be made in the bcm (body control module) there is no physical flasher after the 07 model year.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:53 AM
Sebs
Senior User
Sebs is starting off with a positive reputation.
As Mike189677 says there is no physical flasher in a 2008. Adding the resistors will work and installation should be the same as the other vehicles that you looked up.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:57 PM
CPaulsen
Senior User
CPaulsen has a good reputation on FTE.CPaulsen has a good reputation on FTE.
I used a flasher for led's from Superbright...worked perfect on my 08........was like an ELM327 or something like that.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Robert Green
Senior User
Originally Posted by CPaulsen View Post
I used a flasher for led's from Superbright...worked perfect on my 08........was like an ELM327 or something like that.
where did you install it? I have a flasher on hand, but everything I have seen and read pointed to having to use resistors

Old 03-14-2018, 09:19 PM
FordmanNJ
Elder User
FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.
Ditto to the BCM on 11-16s I just did my LEDs and fixed hyper flashing on my 16 with Forscan. I turned off the lamp out in the front and the rear. The main thing is to get a quality bulb for the LEDs. Some bulbs do not have the right circuitry and can cause weird some to happen when trying to turn. I had a set of LEDs in my 2011 F250 that would go into 4 way when turning left or right. However, if I turned on the park lights, it would properly indicate the correct turn direction. I swapped them out with a different brand, and the issue was resolved for the most part. There would be minor flashing from the other side when making a turn. So I pulled those and stuck in a standard 3157 A bulb and problem fixed on the 2011. On the 2016, I debated to change the turn signals out. I located the bulbs I was using in the front. Installed them and no issues on the 2016. All I had to do is change the lamp out indicator in BCM using Forscan. I performed multiple checks during my LED upgrade to make sure every thing was working correctly and after the LEDs were installed, no issues were found. So I am happy camper.

Good luck with your project.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:58 PM
fmjhp594
New User
fmjhp594 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
Ditto to the BCM on 11-16s I just did my LEDs and fixed hyper flashing on my 16 with Forscan. I turned off the lamp out in the front and the rear.
This is the best way, use Forscan. I had resistors on my turns for about a year, but they get quite warm and could possibly melt things. I just took them off and disabled the hiper flash with Forscan. I would rather keep my factory harness intact and not splice into it with the resistors.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:35 PM
Robert Green
Senior User
from what I gather forscan or IDS will only disable the rear hyperflash, leaving me to install resistors up front still

Old 03-15-2018, 04:10 PM
FordmanNJ
Elder User
FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.
Forscan allowed both front and rear lamp out to be disabled on my 2016. Ford IDScould be used if you pay the dealer.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:34 PM
Robert Green
Senior User
I should have clarified, on the 08-10's only the rears can be disabled

Old 03-15-2018, 08:00 PM
FordmanNJ
Elder User
Well then splice from pulse or variable line to ground with the resistor. Turn on the park lines with the bulb removed. Turn on a blinker. Check for 2 circuit voltage. Continuous voltage should be at least 12 volts from the battery. The pulse or variable voltage should be well varying between a couple of volts to 12 volts. This will show you which line to splice into for the turn signal. Get the proper resistor package and you should be good to go.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:05 PM
2,4shofast
Senior User
2,4shofast has a very good reputation on FTE.2,4shofast has a very good reputation on FTE.2,4shofast has a very good reputation on FTE.
I used the load resistors from superbrightleds.com They have PDF installation instructions on their site, is there a particular question you have on the install? When I did it mine it was pretty straight forward but a little extra wire would have been nice on the resistors and the splice clips leave a lot to be desired so I pulled a bit of insulation off around the clip and soldered the wire to the clip connector.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:34 PM
Fefanatic
Senior User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just measure the resistance across the bulb you are removing and you should be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.