2016 6.7 blown motor - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 6.7 blown motor

Old 04-13-2018, 06:17 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
Do you have an FMC360 number?

Old 04-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Lar man
Freshman User
Lar man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello
would that fmc number be the case number for the warranty file opened with customer service?
I have a file open with them.

thanks

Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Do you have an FMC360 number?

Old 04-14-2018, 08:46 AM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Lar man View Post
Hello
would that fmc number be the case number for the warranty file opened with customer service?
I have a file open with them.

thanks
Yes. The number begins with CAS.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:58 AM
The Bone
Elder User
The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.
This kind of stuff makes it hard to be a fan of Ford. Sadly they all do it so going to Chevy or Dodge you would get the same result.
I would tell the field service rep that you want them to buy it back. This sounds stupid that they can't get you parts and not try to keep you happy .

Old 04-14-2018, 09:12 AM
Lar man
Freshman User
Cas-14293573-p1y4to

Yes. The number begins with CAS.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:19 AM
Lar man
Freshman User
Update

Ford customer service rep said that ford is aware of the parts shortage and is trying to avert the problem. My options are wait for the parts for 2 months more at least and pay for my own rental for to or three months or upgrade to a new truck from my 2016 with a 2000 dollar ford incentive. .....!!!!!!! ????
as far as I'm concerned my truck is new to me still and I owe 49k on it.
even with a cheap *** 2000 dollar incentive I'd be another 9000 in the hole plus the extra debt of a brand new truck. I don't believe they think before they speak. The local dealer says my truck is worth 39k. I owe 49k brand new truck at least 63-65k. This is insanity on epic proportions.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:32 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
Lar Man, It's time to look into your states lemon laws if you have not already done so. In Ca. you'd qualify for a buy back.
Lar Man is in Canada. USA lemon laws or of no help in this case.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:46 AM
Lar man
Freshman User
I hear ya. It's a hard pill to swallow and I know the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I'm a quite hard working man. A father of 4 kids trying to earn a living. I've been patient and respectful when talking to ford. I have never asked for anything that I believe isn't fair. Ford doesn't seem to acknowledge the ramifications and how this is affecting my life. It's all wrong on so many levels. If I build so.ething wrong when I'm contracting a house i fix it and honour my work as fast as i can to keep my reputation as it's the right thing to do or I do t survive in this business. Ford is dropping g the ball on epic proportions and it will be my mission I live to pursue them to make it right. I know it's David against goliath but I can't let this one go.

Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
This kind of stuff makes it hard to be a fan of Ford. Sadly they all do it so going to Chevy or Dodge you would get the same result.
I would tell the field service rep that you want them to buy it back. This sounds stupid that they can't get you parts and not try to keep you happy .

Old 04-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
You are in a serious situation. To my knowledge, Canada does not have the statutory consumer protections that USA consumers have. In other words, you don't have the benefit of our Lemon Laws that force manufacturers to buy bad vehicles back after a certain amount of time out of service due to a defect covered by warranty.

If Ford made the decision to pull the rental car, then your situation will only get worse. The two month wait will turn into three months. Another unanticipated problem will occur, making it four months. They probably would prefer you to pony up for another new truck, but the problem with that for you is obvious. You owe $49K on your broken (but still new) truck, and will owe another $66K on a new truck. That's $115,000 worth of debt. Even if the dealer makes a $39K allowance for your current new truck, which you would be forced to accept, due to not having an engine, which kills the opportunity for you to sell the truck on your own to get more money out of it, you would still be $76,000 in debt. By my math, that isn't just a $9,000 hit on your finances... it is actually a $27,000 hit, or three times more painful.

I sent you a private message containing three links that I think you might find useful to read at this juncture.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:46 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
Lar Man, It's time to look into your states lemon laws if you have not already done so. In Ca. you'd qualify for a buy back.
I was going to say this as well. Good grief what nightmare. If your business was dependent on your truck, you'd be out of business. I might talk to an attorney as well, though it may be moot at this point. I am sorry to hear this for you,adni am Ford loyal for the most part. This is absolute horsechit though.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:54 AM
m-chan68
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Y2KW57 View Post
You are in a serious situation. To my knowledge, Canada does not have the statutory consumer protections that USA consumers have. In other words, you don't have the benefit of our Lemon Laws that force manufacturers to buy bad vehicles back after a certain amount of time out of service due to a defect covered by warranty.
As far as I know, even buying back the vehicle is not an option the manufacturer would consider in this particular situation. Years ago, a 2011 (I think???) F-450 came in on the hook as a no-start. When I connected my IDS (our dealership scan tool), I was unable to communicate with ANY of the modules so I was "going in blind". Long story short, I ended up having to submit a Ford Hotline request for assistance which ended with Ford sending TWO field service reps to come and assist me with fixing this "unfixable" truck. After replacing the underhood harness, PCM, TCM, SCCM, ABS module and BCM along with two new PATs keys, the truck was finally able to start, run and drive but still wasn't 100% right. This went on for over two weeks of me working with the reps. It wasn't until shortly after the "repair" that new information suddenly surfaced that this truck had apparently been to another dealer to attempt to repair unsuccessfully (obviously), before I ended up being the lucky recipient of this nightmare. It also wasn't disclosed that this truck had been struck by lightening (which now explained all the unusual electrical issues). So, as a result of this "new" information, Ford flagged this vehicle as "ALL WARRANTY CANCELLED" in OASIS. The point of this story? I asked the two service reps if that truck could be bought back, and it was explained to me that in order for that to occur, the vehicle had to be owned by customer (not a vehicle brought in by a guy from "Taliban Used Cars" as the rep put it) and brought in to repair with several unsuccessful attempts to repair the same ongoing issue before the manufacturer would consider buying the vehicle back.

If Ford made the decision to pull the rental car, then your situation will only get worse. The two month wait will turn into three months. Another unanticipated problem will occur, making it four months. They probably would prefer you to pony up for another new truck, but the problem with that for you is obvious. You owe $49K on your broken (but still new) truck, and will owe another $66K on a new truck. That's $115,000 worth of debt. Even if the dealer makes a $39K allowance for your current new truck, which you would be forced to accept, due to not having an engine, which kills the opportunity for you to sell the truck on your own to get more money out of it, you would still be $76,000 in debt. By my math, that isn't just a $9,000 hit on your finances... it is actually a $27,000 hit, or three times more painful.
I think everyone who is following this thread can agree that pushing the OP into another vehicle would be the quickest resolve to this matter. However, at the end of the day, it's HIS money we are talking about, and a lot of it. As a dealership technician who not only works on vehicles but also happens to own the exact same model year of vehicle equipped with the same engine, right down to VERY close build dates, it's not giving me a very warm and fuzzy feeling. If it's any consolation to the OP, I am quite certain the tech working on it would like to have it completed as soon as possible as well (having the cab lifted and a truck disabled in his bay disassembled to this level, rendering that bay unusable for other work he could be making money on has to be monumentally frustrating to him as well).

Old 04-14-2018, 11:07 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.
Is your loan with Ford? I'd just stop making the payments. You are not getting the "benefit of the deal" you made when you bought the truck. If you owe 49K and it's worth 39K by their reckoning, let them take the hit in value. Oh, and buy a new truck from Ford first, so they can't deny you credit. You might check the terms of the loan to make sure it is a no-recourse loan.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
As far as I know, even buying back the vehicle is not an option the manufacturer would consider in this particular situation. Years ago, a 2011 (I think???) F-450 came in on the hook as a no-start. When I connected my IDS (our dealership scan tool), I was unable to communicate with ANY of the modules so I was "going in blind". Long story short, I ended up having to submit a Ford Hotline request for assistance which ended with Ford sending TWO field service reps to come and assist me with fixing this "unfixable" truck. After replacing the underhood harness, PCM, TCM, SCCM, ABS module and BCM along with two new PATs keys, the truck was finally able to start, run and drive but still wasn't 100% right. This went on for over two weeks of me working with the reps. It wasn't until shortly after the "repair" that new information suddenly surfaced that this truck had apparently been to another dealer to attempt to repair unsuccessfully (obviously), before I ended up being the lucky recipient of this nightmare. It also wasn't disclosed that this truck had been struck by lightening (which now explained all the unusual electrical issues). So, as a result of this "new" information, Ford flagged this vehicle as "ALL WARRANTY CANCELLED" in OASIS. The point of this story? I asked the two service reps if that truck could be bought back, and it was explained to me that in order for that to occur, the vehicle had to be owned by customer (not a vehicle brought in by a guy from "Taliban Used Cars" as the rep put it) and brought in to repair with several unsuccessful attempts to repair the same ongoing issue before the manufacturer would consider buying the vehicle back.
In the case of the OP of this thread, it was my understanding that he is the original retail customer who purchased the truck brand new and remained the original owner, not a used car dealer. If he were in CA, instead of .CA (California, as opposed to Canada), he would, as a consumer and the original retail customer, have certain rights under the 1970 Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, California Civil Code Sections 1790 to 1795.8. California pioneered consumer protections against manufacturers not standing by their advertised warranties, and eventually other states followed suit. Canada is a bit behind in this regard, although two provinces have proposed and perhaps even passed some limited consumer protections, but I don't know if those provisions have yet been enacted or codified into law, nor if those protections are comprehensive enough to cover the OP being held financially hostage for the convenience of the vehicle manufacturer. I think not. He needs more individualized help from professionals experienced in consumer advocacy, and I've sent him links pointing to three different approaches to try and get that help, two of which can be pursued simultaneously.

There is no "Lemon Law" in Canada that he can lean on. Digging out from under the weight of this misfortune will require the OP to grab a pick and shovel more money, time, and aggravation into this black hole up front, in the hopes of recovery later. I suspect that the manufacturer is well aware of this, and news reports in Canada of previous and similar instances with the same manufacturer bear this out. Consumers usually cave in to the path of least resistance, sooner or later. That is all they have time and resources to practically accomplish. Running a small business? Raising four kids? Feeding the family? Keeping the roof over head? Paying the heating bill? These life threatening responsibilities take precedence over fighting a multi billion dollar global manufacturer weaseling out of their promise to back up their product. So normal folks give in, without any statutory provisions to protect them.

We only know Lar Mar's side of the story. We don't know if his truck was also struck by lightning, an "Act of God" which Ford could be rightfully excused for not warranting. But solely based on the limited information presented by the OP, this is a situation where Ford appears to be acting in bad faith on the engine warranty, and that is concern that has my attention, as I plan on what to spec a local fleet's service trucks with in 2020.

I think everyone who is following this thread can agree that pushing the OP into another vehicle would be the quickest resolve to this matter. However, at the end of the day, it's HIS money we are talking about, and a lot of it.
True. And I think he would lose a lot more money than just $9,000 in the trade over the amortized life of the loan. The true losses will likely be concealed by a low or matching monthly payment, but he will owe the extra money for the retail price difference as well as the depreciation for the two trucks all the same, because a great deal of what he has paid thus far has likely been front loaded interest, which has no residual value.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Originally Posted by swarf_rat View Post
Is your loan with Ford? I'd just stop making the payments. .
This would only put a black mark on the OP's credit rating, damaging his credit, reputation, earning power, borrowing power, livelihood, and the livelihood of his family... in areas far beyond his need for suitable and reliable transportation.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:51 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
This would only put a black mark on the OP's credit rating, damaging his credit, reputation, earning power, borrowing power, livelihood, and the livelihood of his family... in areas far beyond his need for suitable and reliable transportation.
I was just going to reply to that comment echoing the exact same sentiment. Years ago, a service advisor i used to work with had told me about a customer he had, who had brought his Lincoln Navigator in with a seized engine. While the vehicle was still well within warranty coverage at the time, it didn't take long for the servicing tech to determine the cause of the failure to be severe owner neglect (the vehicle never had one oil change done since new). As expected, the owner didn't like the quote submitted by the dealer for the cost of a retail engine replacement. So off he went, while muttering the comment that he was going to stop making payments on the vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 6.7 blown motor

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: