1966 Ford F-350 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1966 Ford F-350

Old 03-13-2018, 07:22 PM
Daves1966
Freshman User
Daves1966 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1966 Ford F-350

Hi guys,
Just wanted to make an official first post. I just picked up this 1966 F350 yesterday. It's a pretty straight truck. Not much rust at all. The original floor pans are solid and the chassis is in solid shape. The paint is faded and not the original which was Arcadia Blue (Light Blue). It has it's original 300 Straight Six. The old truck ran pretty good on the 50 mile drive home. Rear end has been swapped to single wheel with 3.33 gear, 8 bolt pattern, front and rear.

I have a couple of newb questions. The wheels came off of a 1993 Ford truck. I really would like to run some hub caps which are similar to the 1960s "bottle cap" type hub caps. It just may not be doable but I thought I would at least ask you all.

Next question is, the truck was hard to turn over and the Alt light is dimly lit. Should I assume the battery is old and replace it? The fellow I bought it from wasn't sure of the age of the battery and he owned it for a couple of years. What's cool is he bought it from the original owners and the truck spent it's entire first 50 years on a farm in NC.

I will do some restoration work such as paint the cab and the inside, clean up the engine compartment and clean up the flat bed and repaint. Also planning to change out all the hoses, change plugs/points, install new exhaust, and anything else that pops up. Anyhow, I am glad to be on board here. Cheers! Dave

Old 03-13-2018, 07:52 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Welcome to FTE Dave!

That's a nice find.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:56 PM
Daves1966
Freshman User
Thanks Joe. I am excited to have a new project truck. I picked it up for $3500. I felt that was a pretty good deal. Everything else in the price range was about a basket case.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:03 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
When I got my truck, I had been searching for a 65 F100, as I wanted one like my dad owned. But I couldn't find one nearby that I wanted or if I did, could afford.

I changed my search to F250, found the truck instantly, went to see it and drove it home that day. The market is much larger for the 1/2 tons. But I'm not sure why.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:36 PM
Daves1966
Freshman User
I love your 250! That's a great looking truck!

Old 03-14-2018, 04:06 AM
Spatzboy
Junior User
Spatzboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great looking truck! Have fun with it

Old 03-14-2018, 07:50 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Originally Posted by Daves1966 View Post
I love your 250! That's a great looking truck!
Thanks Dave. I think you're going to have a lot of fun with your truck. I had a 51 F4 with a flatbed and enjoyed it immensely. My son now has that truck.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:31 AM
tripleframe
Elder User
tripleframe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.tripleframe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

I really would like to run some hub caps which are similar to the 1960s "bottle cap" type hub caps. It just may not be doable but I thought I would at least ask you all.
IMO, the closest match to the original would be the '75-'78 style with 12" diameter. .https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-PICKUP...5aeJY0&vxp=mtr The next closest and much more common and less expensive would be the '92-2005? Econoline .https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1997-F....c100675.m4236 They both could be painted silver or white if you don't like the aluminum look. Correct block lettering decals can be purchased in red to really fool onlookers https://www.ebay.com/itm/A749-1961-6...NbGf2dxcbhtEmA Like this person has done https://www.google.com/search?q=1965...6dnJcopwABjqM:

Old 03-14-2018, 11:01 AM
TA455HO
Postmaster
TA455HO has a good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a good reputation on FTE.
An F350 with 8-lug rims - I suspect something has been changed out on the front, too, to allow that - I guess you did mention that - which gets you away from the 6-lug stock wheels.

If you run 16" wheels on the 8-lug you could go with the F250 "innie" wheels and the Type 1 bottlecaps like these.

Chad

Old 03-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Daves1966
Freshman User
Great info on the hub caps. I will take a closer look at the wheel size and take some measurements when I get in from work. I definitely would like to have hub caps on the wheels. I'd probably paint them white and go with the red block letters. That's a nice vintage look.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:05 PM
Daves1966
Freshman User
Maybe you guys can help me figure out exactly what I have here. The wheels have a Firestone stamp and are 16" rims. The round protruding ring measures approximately 11" across and the four nubs that hold the hubcap on are approximately 11 3/4" from end to end. I was told that they came off a 1993 Ford truck but want to be sure to order caps that will fit. I appreciate the help!

Old 03-14-2018, 09:31 PM
tripleframe
Elder User
tripleframe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.tripleframe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm assuming you don't want to spend the big dollars for original rims and hubcaps like TA455HO posted. Your late model 8 lug rims accept the common 11.75" caps ( used on most all 70's and 80's 8 lug pickups) , my 12" discription was an approximate figure . Just stay away from the 10.25 diameter caps, those are for 5 lug rims.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:36 AM
Daves1966
Freshman User
Yes, it's just too much money to go for the original tires and caps. I appreciate the links to the caps on Ebay and the information on my current rims. I think I can achieve a pretty good look with adding some of those, especially if I paint them and add some Red letters.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Yes, it's just too much money to go for the original tires and caps. I appreciate the links to the caps on Ebay and the information on my current rims. I think I can achieve a pretty good look with adding some of those, especially if I paint them and add some Red letters.
Someone will surely correct me...

But I don't think the F250 and F350 had white painted hubcaps with red lettering. I think the hubcaps were polished aluminum with black lettering like those shown in Chad's pics. At least that's what mine are.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:00 PM
Muppy1840
Senior User
Muppy1840 has a good reputation on FTE.Muppy1840 has a good reputation on FTE.Muppy1840 has a good reputation on FTE.

Not my truck. Pic from web.

What about theses hubcaps? Where are you located?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.