Trailer brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:09 PM
Dennis77
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer brake issues

I have a 2016 f450 6.7 and I lost trailer brakes today I have power to everything but the brakes I have check all fuses under the hood and in the cab. The truck doesn't have a trailer brake module that is visible guess it's built. I did have trailer brakes yesterday. I been use a meter to check the plug and fuses but just can't figure out why I don't have power to the trailer brakes. What am I missing

Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you been experiencing any other intermittent electrical issues? I'd check the truck's wiring harness connectors from harness to the trailer plug. Disconnect, check for moisture, signs of shorting, or anything else suspicious.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
moved to the towing section

Old 03-13-2018, 06:24 PM
Dennis77
New User
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
Have you been experiencing any other intermittent electrical issues? I'd check the truck's wiring harness connectors from harness to the trailer plug. Disconnect, check for moisture, signs of shorting, or anything else suspicious.
everthing works coming out the plug only lost the middle pin for the trailer brakes I did pull the plug apart to make sure the wire was still hooked up. At first I thought I blew a fuse but check every fuse that had to do with the trailer and all good I did check the plug that hooks to brake in the cab and all seem good I didn't know if there is a inline fuse mybe

Old 03-13-2018, 06:25 PM
senix
Super Moderator
this sounds to me like a few different things could be in play here.

First, did you get any notifications from the trailer brake controller on the screen that a trailer was disconnected?
Secondly you may have an issue with the 7 pin connector at the back of the truck or trailer.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:27 PM
senix
Super Moderator
there are relays under the hood and in the kick panel.

Consult the owners manual for the location.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:58 PM
TCNashville
Laughing Gas
Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
If the integrated TBC is not giving you any messages the problem usually lies with the trailer. You didn't by chance turn the gain to zero? Sorry, had to ask.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:08 PM
Dennis77
New User
Originally Posted by TCNashville
If the integrated TBC is not giving you any messages the problem usually lies with the trailer. You didn't by chance turn the gain to zero? Sorry, had to ask.
there is no manual brake module and the dash never said anything about tailer being discounted I took my meter and check the pins on the truck without the trailer and got nothing from the trailer brake pin everything else works turn signals running lights and brake lights I hook the trail to another truck and the brakes fine on that. I'm going to dig deeper tomorrow and make sure I have power to the trailer brake fuse not sure what less to do then start there

Old 03-13-2018, 07:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
This seem to me like maybe you don't have a trailer brake controller on this truck? There should be a tbc with a slider on the center stack if you have one.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:39 PM
Dennis77
New User
Originally Posted by senix
This seem to me like maybe you don't have a trailer brake controller on this truck? There should be a tbc with a slider on the center stack if you have one.
no slider any where but I had trailers brakes two days ago i have a pito hitch and never had the trailer smack the hitch like it did today so that's why I started to check things out. It's the only truck I have that doesn't have a slide control the other 350 do but not on the 450

Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow. Sounds like you've no integrated trailer brake controller. I wasn't even aware you could get a F450 w/o a factory trailer brake controller.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:43 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Well I think that is the issue and reason for no trailer brakes.

To confirm with a trailer hooked up you should be able to scroll through the screens and see the trailer settings.

if there is nothing there then you need to purchase a TBC. They are plug and play but you would need someone to activate it in the pcm

Old 03-13-2018, 07:51 PM
senix
Super Moderator
so some additional info.
You can still have power to the 7 pin and 4 pin connectors if the fuses are in place.

But you cannot have brakes without the tbc unless the trailer has surge brakes.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:12 AM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix
Well I think that is the issue and reason for no trailer brakes.

To confirm with a trailer hooked up you should be able to scroll through the screens and see the trailer settings.

if there is nothing there then you need to purchase a TBC. They are plug and play but you would need someone to activate it in the pcm
I too am thinking you don't have the ITBC option installed in your truck. Also, the brake feed is not the center pin. The center pin is reverse lights. The brake feed is @5 O'clock relative to the index notch. If the truck's plug is rotated so the index is at 3 o'clock, (I think it is) then the brake feed is at 8.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:12 PM
dtherrien
Senior User
What kind of trailer do you have?
Im thinking you pulled a wire off near the wheel or a broken wire someplace on the trailer end...could be a ground too. Thats saying if a multi meter checks out ok at the plug end.

Quick Reply: Trailer brake issues