ATC Cargo or Legend Cargo Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:11 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ATC Cargo or Legend Cargo Trailers

I'm shopping for a very good 7x14 cargo trailer to carry a Polaris General side by side. We're planning to take a couple of years and travel the country including a trip to Alaska. I've narrowed it down to two Trailers. The all Aluminum Legend Deluxe or ATC Cargo Trailers. They both come standard with all the good stuff like Dexter Torsion Axles, Aluminum Wheels, Screwless exteriors, Led Lights, 7' interiors and, and, and ..
Any Pro's/Con's on either trailer ?

Old 03-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have no experience with the Legend. However, I did own two different ATC '24 enclosed car haulers. Both very nice trailers. I bought both used. One had a number of issues but all were related to the cabinets that were installed by the dealer and a repair to the roof which was done poorly. I sold it and bought the second. Again, a very nice trailer. Reasonable light, towed nicely. Owned it for less than a year before it was stolen.

My advise would be to put a tracker on whatever trailer you buy. I have one on my current trailer.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:38 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I would lean on the Legend. Look into the fine details, the Advantek floor is huge bonus. Extremely strong and dense. All of the wiring is run through the tubing and not scotch locked. I personally have a 6x13 Legend that is standard height, it's a 2009 and looks great. It does have the normal dings on the front from stone and such, but never lost a weld. The frame looks as good as the day it was built, and I live in Michigan. I should also mention that I used to work (sales side) at the dealership where they are manufactured in St Johns MI.

Mine has finished walls inside and no brakes. You don't have to worry about drilling and through bolting for D rings, the floor will handle it. I've really only used mine to haul the Ultra classic I had for a while, now it sits more than anything but I can't get myself to get rid of it.....

Old 03-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Fyrsi
Freshman User
intech

I just got a new 22ft intech if you may have questions.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:07 AM
stufarmer
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fyrsi
I forgot all about Intech, I did see them online. Probably the nicest, most complete and finished trailers on the market. Thanks ..!

Old 03-20-2018, 11:20 AM
Fyrsi
Freshman User
Your welcome,,,Ron

Old 07-13-2018, 09:36 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,543 Likes on 832 Posts
Originally Posted by Fyrsi
Not to hijack Stufarmer's thread, but I am looking to do the same thing, with a small caveat. I will be using it in my business (rarely) so I will need a larger trailer. I have priced steel and aluminum trailers with the following specifications: 24' V-nose, 7'6" interior height, plywood finished walls w/ 1 row e-track on each wall, 2 rows e-track on floor, barn doors for loading freight and machinery, 7k torsion axles, electric/hydraulic disc brakes, G-rated tires, spare mounted inside, extra set of tail lights (mounted high like the stacker trailers), and reverse lights. The steel ones were all around $11k. The brands are Continental Cargo, Anvil, and Cargo Mate. The Aluminum ones are Sundowner, Intech, and EZ Hauler. The aluminum ones were all around $20-21k. Having never owned one of these trailers I am looking for someone (besides the salesman) to talk me into the aluminum trailer. I know I will regret buying the steel one in 6 months. Aside from weight savings, what is the major benefit? Any suggestions. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:58 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
It's here. Finally! ATC Quest series aluminum trailer. 18 + 2 V-nose, Plywood interior w/ e-track on walls & floor, barn doors, extra height, rear spoiler w/ loading lights, extra tail lights, 6k torsion axles, elec/hyd discs, 235/80/16 load range G tires. Can't wait to pick it up. First trip in 9 days to Indiana and Michigan. After hauling my machinery on a flat deck gooseneck and going through the tarping and such to try and keep them dry this is going to be a dream. The ultimate reason though is to put a SXS in it and do some traveling.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:31 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,656 Likes on 2,737 Posts
Nice looking ATC trailer! I've been looking into the ATC toy hauler. Man, those are sexy.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:19 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Nice looking ATC trailer! I've been looking into the ATC toy hauler. Man, those are sexy.
Thanks Jim. We're still planning on touring the ATC facility on our way back from Michigan / Indiana. Hopefully they'll have one of those toy haulers we can check out.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:38 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,656 Likes on 2,737 Posts
I got zero response from ATC to the list of configuration questions I sent. Maybe I stumped them?

Old 09-30-2018, 07:14 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,614 Likes on 1,641 Posts
Any enclosed trailer you may look at..........look at the frame/sub-frame and how it is constructed. Are the frame rails one piece? Does it have a sub-frame for the suspension? Especially if planning to pull it on long rough roads like the Alaska highway. Last spring I saw one of the more popular, less expensive brands that the frame was broken right between the axles. The manufacturer had welded two pieces of tubing to make one of the frame rail; and the weld was right where it broke....poor welding job.....and there also was no sub-frame. I.E., the suspension was just mounted directly to the main frame.
This was down in the Baja, being pulled by a Class A motorhome and I am quite sure they had no clue how much it was bouncing around back there.
I guess what I am saying is that the pretty box can hide a lot of manufacturing defects ans shorthcuts.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:48 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Well, the maiden voyage with the ATC is halfway in the books. Halfway because I am home and the trailer is at the ATC plant in Napanee, In. I loaded a piece of equipment in the trailer last Friday to perform the only real "company" duties the trailer will ever see. Took the machine (CNC router) to the manufacturer in South Bend to get the electrical upgrade/overhaul. This is my third trip there in the last 18 months. First time was to pick up a new router, second and third times to have my existing machines upgraded. Anyway, I cut corners and didn't remove the leveling feet (threaded bolts w/ jam nut) from the bottom of the machine. They thread into a 2-1/2" x 4" steel plate welded to the 2-1/2" sq steel machine frame. This put the full 2000# of machine weight on about 4 sq/in of floor space. Needless to say that by the time I got there (1100 + miles) there was two holes in the floor of my new trailer. No problem, ATC is about an hour from South Bend and they agreed to let me drop it off there and they would fix it while the bride & I went to our destination of Mackinac Island, Mi. We returned to pick up the trailer Friday AM as planned and when we went to leave the brakes weren't working. They went down the check list and eliminated all the electrical things and then one of the techs noticed a bulge in the wheel tub. Lo and behold: The brake lines were being crushed by the suspension. Turns out that with the elec/hyd discs the wheel tubs have to be bigger to accommodate the brake lines. Somewhere between home and destination, the brake lines were beat and crushed by the normal movements of the suspension, so somewhere along the line I lost my brakes and didn't even realize it. Thank God there were no panic stops along the way. I had to be back at work Monday so we came home without the trailer and my machine. Looks like I'll be headed back this weekend. Another 2500 mile round trip. Now I'll have a 6 month old truck with 30k miles on it. We are working on some "compensation" for my troubles. Maybe an electric jack or something along those lines. No rest for the weary.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:27 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
That truly is a beautiful trailer.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:46 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by stufarmer
That truly is a beautiful trailer.
Hey StuFarmer, didn't you get an ATC also?
Actually I was your thread here that turned me on to ATC. I got a quote from an Intech dealer in Atlanta but my local ATC dealer was able to ok me up.

Quick Reply: ATC Cargo or Legend Cargo Trailers