EGR cooler is NOT failed, reusing concerns? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

EGR cooler is NOT failed, reusing concerns?

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 03-13-2018, 06:20 PM
ajsemtb
Senior User
ajsemtb is starting off with a positive reputation.

Redid my oil cooler, which I caused the partial clog by flushing. It hasn't been clogged long, I don't have any symptoms of EGR failure, EGR is sooty, but not sticky, and my motor is 7 years old with all the factory updates. SO, I was NOT planning on replacing my EGR cooler, as I monitor my deltas and I'll know before there is a catastrophic failure. Also, I'm using Rotella ETC red coolant, which was put in after the flush that clogged the cooler. So, I know the boiling point is up to where it is supposed to be, and was not likely to flash boil. So, is there any seals that I should replace or O rings or anything related to the EGR cooler that I have to replace due to removing the intake? I did not remove the EGR cooler from the intake, and I don't intend to if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:27 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
NOPE. You're good to go. Unless the cooler itself failed, there is absolutely nothing wrong with reusing it. Probably wouldn't hurt to clean the carbon out of the EGR cooler core and EGR passages though, while you have it out.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:25 AM
ajsemtb
Senior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
NOPE. You're good to go. Unless the cooler itself failed, there is absolutely nothing wrong with reusing it. Probably wouldn't hurt to clean the carbon out of the EGR cooler core and EGR passages though, while you have it out.
ok great! Thank you!

Old 03-14-2018, 05:32 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
When my first truck went in before I got it the Ford diesel mechanic checked it and found no leaks.
So they went ahed and reused it. I later got my hands on a BPD cooler and had a reason to remove
the intake and at that time I swapped the cooler and cleaned the intake of all the nasty oil and soot.

If you want to here is that TSB that you could look at to see how they test the cooler. Not
really hard you use compressed air and use some plugs and a plate to fill the cooler with air as you
place it under water and move it around to clear out any bubbles and then watch for new bubbles.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
FoMoCo-TSB-09-08-03.pdf (341.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:47 AM
ajsemtb
Senior User
Cool. Thanks Sean. I'm thinking the same thing; reuse this one now, BPD later as time and budget allows. I'm already into this more than I was planning, but still under the dealership costs and I'm doing more!

Old 03-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Like M-Chan said while it's out may as well clean things.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:09 PM
HT32BSX115
Postmaster
HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ajsemtb View Post
SO, I was NOT planning on replacing my EGR cooler, as I monitor my deltas and I'll know before there is a catastrophic failure.
I don't think you will. Excessive deltas don't always indicate impending EGR cooler leaks or failures....... If the EGR cooler is an OE cooler and I had it apart, I would either delete it or replace it with a BPD or other welded stainless steel tube type EGR cooler that cannot leak.

JMHO.......

Cheers,

Rick

Old 03-16-2018, 10:38 PM
SmackDaddy
Shade Tree Wrencher
SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Dieselsite makes a very nice EGR detete kit. Had mine on for 15,000 miles or so.