To move tank or not to move! - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

To move tank or not to move!

Old 03-14-2018, 08:51 AM
ReForder
Elder User
ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.
As far acceleration/deceleration injuries go (ie: whiplash), you don't necessarily need to contact anything in the car to sustain a closed head injury. An going through the glass would suck (adds the laceration factor), but also wacking your head on the metal cab would be just as bad, if not worse as there is no "give" with that contact. So the headrest comment it spot on. However, adding headrests to low back bench seats is not really feasible, and putting a taller back to the bench seat would obscure the window. 6 of one, half dozen of the other, I guess.

With regards to the gas tank however, I think you're more likely to get rear-ended hard than to get broad-sided enough crack the tank. I still wouldn't want (and this is JUST MY OPINION) a gas tank at the far end of a pickup where a lower slung car has a habit of sliding under a trunk in a rear-end collision (nose-diving putting it even further under the truck and into the tank). If I did it, I would put it between the cab and the rear axle...middle ground, if you will.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:02 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
I checked with Boyd Tanks before I bought mine. They have never had a rupture on one of their tanks. They are HD aluminum built like a brick shxxhouse. Besides, where would you rather have leaking fuel, inside or outside the vehicle. And side impacts are not that uncommon.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:13 AM
ReForder
Elder User
ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.
In the end, you're right, as manufacturers stopped putting tanks in the cabs of production trucks. How's that? But what we're talking about is keeping a truck as original as possible, particularly for those of us who leave the interior in stock form. That's not to say I would never consider this down the road. But this isn't about my truck

Old 03-14-2018, 10:48 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ReForder View Post
But what we're talking about is keeping a truck as original as possible, particularly for those of us who leave the interior in stock form. That's not to say I would never consider this down the road. But this isn't about my truck
But that wasn't Bill's, the OP, question. He wanted to discuss moving the tank or not. As you can see from the pictures on his post #1 that he is not concerned about strict originality.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:57 AM
ReForder
Elder User
I can clearly see that, but that seems to be where the discussion went, regardless of interior originality. I think we're off topic here.

Sorry for the derailment.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:31 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.
I don't think we are off topic at all and I think Pete made some excellent points. And side impact crashes are very common as well as rear end crashes. Almost all cars now have tanks in the rear as well as trucks and not many cause major fires with exploding gas tanks. Most factory tanks are much thinner materials than the after market aluminum tank that most of us purchase, mine is very thick material and would be very hard to destroy even with a rear end crash. Even if it did the chances of an explosion are slim. I will take my chances of having it further away than a few inches from my back.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:16 AM
tractormanbill
tractorman
tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.
Well I at least got some discussion going on the tanks! If I ever get around to it I will probably mount a tank in the rear primarily for the weight but I can't live with the filler in the bed so I will probably put a flap in the left fender.
What do you think about my dome light mounting and the armrest with single cup holder?
TractormanBill

Old 03-16-2018, 08:02 AM
cruisetopdown
Elder User
cruisetopdown has a good reputation on FTE.cruisetopdown has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ReForder View Post
As far acceleration/deceleration injuries go (ie: whiplash), you don't necessarily need to contact anything in the car to sustain a closed head injury. An going through the glass would suck (adds the laceration factor), but also wacking your head on the metal cab would be just as bad, if not worse as there is no "give" with that contact. So the headrest comment it spot on. However, adding headrests to low back bench seats is not really feasible, and putting a taller back to the bench seat would obscure the window. 6 of one, half dozen of the other, I guess.

With regards to the gas tank however, I think you're more likely to get rear-ended hard than to get broad-sided enough crack the tank. I still wouldn't want (and this is JUST MY OPINION) a gas tank at the far end of a pickup where a lower slung car has a habit of sliding under a trunk in a rear-end collision (nose-diving putting it even further under the truck and into the tank). If I did it, I would put it between the cab and the rear axle...middle ground, if you will.
This is what I came up with regarding protecting the tank.
w

on my '52 F-3

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.