5.0 - Don't make me regret buying an F150! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Reload this Page >

5.0 - Don't make me regret buying an F150!

Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-13-2018, 07:31 AM
XL Denali
Junior User
XL Denali is starting off with a positive reputation.

So I bought a 2012 with the 5.0 a month ago. It's got 155,000. Guy I purchased it from said he kept up on maintenance and did plugs and stuff. Took it in for rough idle. Most looked like original and one was cracked. Replaced but check engine light is on again. Shop put a new coil on the one cylinder and came back to me saying they are going to have to dig into it. Might need a valve job, head job, or possibly a new engine! I sure hope not! I really like this thing but I really don't want to put a new engine in it!
Is there any way to tell if I have one of the messed up blocks? If I do will Ford do anything about it?
Thanks for your time.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:49 AM
Robbgt
Postmaster
Robbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to behold
The shop saying "might need a valve job, head job, or possibly a new engine" for a rough idle without extensive investigation is crazy. Quite a jump to conclusion - I would take it to another dealer/shop.

Are you getting any knocking/tapping sounds from the engine? That's really been the only identifier of the cylinder distortion issue. Your model year does fall within the range that has had the issue. And sadly, at your mileage there is nothing that Ford will do about it. As it was mine was well under warranty and it was quite the push to get them to replace it.

This is what mine sounded like:

Keep us in the loop and best of luck

Old 03-13-2018, 11:54 AM
XL Denali
Junior User
I don't know what the heck is going on. Went out to lunch and the thing runs like new! So smooth and quiet at the stop lights it's hard to tell if it's even running! IDK. I stopped by the shop and had them clear the codes to see if they come back. I'm really doubting that the actual engine has a problem. I'm very relieved. I really didn't want to tell my wife that we couldn't do half of our remodel. Haha..

Old 03-13-2018, 01:00 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
P.Bronner has a good reputation on FTE.P.Bronner has a good reputation on FTE.
Yeah, there are some things you don't say to your Wife, and that's one of them!

Old 03-13-2018, 01:22 PM
rbentnail
Senior User
rbentnail is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rbentnail is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
From the video above that's a really significant knock/tap, I'd think if you had that problem it would be pretty noticeable. Maybe the shop put a vacuum hose back on that they thought they had taken off but it was really off when you took it in or maybe it's one of those computer A-EYE learning curve things. Who knows? These things drive me batty sometimes. I had a little roughness at idle and decided a couple of weeks ago at 53k to replace my plugs. WTH, they were on sale plus a little cash back from the bank. About 2 days later the smoothness came back .

Old 03-13-2018, 09:24 PM
XL Denali
Junior User
Who knows.
I just listened to the video. Mine sounds nothing like that so that makes me feel better too. Seemed to run fine tonight.
Loving my F150 and the 5.0! Hope it lasts me a long time.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:24 AM
WXboy
Posting Guru
WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like you may have the common issue explained here:

Old 03-20-2018, 03:14 PM
XL Denali
Junior User
Left my truck at the shop today so they could update the software like the video shows. They said there's still a slight miss and they want to do a compression test on cylinder #8. I hope it's nothing.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:01 PM
XL Denali
Junior User
So when they had it hooked up to the computer it shows low compression on cylinder#8. They want to dig into it and do a running compression test and also scope the cylinder.
Any thoughts? Hope it's not going to turn into a huge deal. Not feeling so good about the 5.0 at the moment. I still like the truck though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: