Back in the Ford Game - 1950 F1 - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Back in the Ford Game - 1950 F1

Old 03-13-2018, 04:30 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Welcome back ReForder! If you are back in the Ford game, what did you have before? and when?

Volvo was still 6 volt in 1958? didn't know that.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:31 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Posting Guru
HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.
that is a great looking truck.congratulations on a great score

Old 03-13-2018, 05:38 PM
ReForder
Elder User
ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.
Thanks, fellas.

abe...I've had Fords my whole life (76 Granada, 88 Mustang GT, 1987 Lincoln MK VII LSC, 1992 Explorer, 1993 Taurus SHO, 1996 Explorer V8, 2005 F150 Screw, and lastly a 2011 F150 Screw Ecoboost) Throw a few Volvos in there and a Jag suv and there's my car history, lol. Volvo was still 6V up until 1962, I think? That design I posted also stayed roughly the same from 1947 to 1965.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 PM
pineconeford
Posting Guru
pineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ReForder View Post
... Do these pull engine temp from the coolant or oil?...
The 226's have temp senders from the coolant - and the traditional one is on the drivers side like yours.

That one on the top of the cylinder head is something I haven't seen someone do before. Perhaps they put a separate aftermarket gauge in the cab at some point?

As long as you can get one functioning sender you should be all set.
Tom

Old 03-13-2018, 08:54 PM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by pineconeford View Post
Welcome from Maine.

Nice looking truck.
Is that a 2nd temperature sender that is located on the top of the cylinder head? I see the traditional 226 one on the driver's side of the engine too.
Tom
Tsk, tsk. A Mainer that doesn't recognize a block heater connection. What has the world come to? Next you'll tell us that you don't wear flannel.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:14 PM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
Lighter was installed under the Ashtray

Old 03-13-2018, 10:45 PM
ReForder
Elder User
ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Moe Craig View Post
Lighter was installed under the Ashtray
This has the Magic Air in it, maybe that got in the way of the stock lighter location? Or one of the POs got fancy and didn't feel like reaching aaaaaaall the way over there to light his cigar.

Fortyniner, I'd be really curious to see how they wired up that block heater. Any ideas? Truck is originally from Wyoming. Wonder if they ever needed it out there.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:30 PM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
The external wiring for the block heater was just an extension cord. I haven't conducted an autopsy on a flathead to understand the working end.

They certainly needed block heaters in Wyoming - as did the original northern Wisconsin owner of my truck.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:55 AM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ReForder View Post
This has the Magic Air in it, maybe that got in the way of the stock lighter location? Or one of the POs got fancy and didn't feel like reaching aaaaaaall the way over there to light his cigar.

Fortyniner, I'd be really curious to see how they wired up that block heater. Any ideas? Truck is originally from Wyoming. Wonder if they ever needed it out there.
In the dash, under the Ashtray... we won't go into who's truck this is.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:42 AM
ReForder
Elder User
The 51-52 interiors were a bit different than the 48-50, though I can see that the Magic Air assembly wouldn't get in the way regardless of what year it was. It looks right at home where they put it in my truck, and I can't say as I'll ever use it...maybe for my radar detector :P

I'm reeeeaally tempted to plug in the block heater and see what happens. Probably blow all the breakers in my house...

Old 03-14-2018, 06:24 PM
pineconeford
Posting Guru
pineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
Tsk, tsk. A Mainer that doesn't recognize a block heater connection. What has the world come to? Next you'll tell us that you don't wear flannel.

Ughhh, I feel like such an idiot now.
You are 100% right, any hardy northerner should have spotted that as a block heater. In my mighty lame defense, the block heaters are most effective down lower in the coolant supply, so that it circulates as the heat rises. I removed one from my '51 that was in-line with the lower radiator hose.

As for wearing flannel....did that today as I cleared 12" of fresh snow from the driveway. Tonight I'll sleep on flannel sheets, dreaming about the first day that it's warm enough for me to resume working on the '49 outside.

Reforder, I have a Magic Air in my '51 and they sure get some positive attention from folks who admire the style of it. Some folks think it's an air conditioning unit though.
Tom

Old 03-14-2018, 10:42 PM
ReForder
Elder User
Magic Air does have some mystical quality to the name, doesn't it? LOL One of the first things I want to do is refinish the cover for that to spruce it up. They're quite attractive units, as far as heaters go.