Steering gear boxes - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Steering gear boxes

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 03-12-2018, 05:52 AM
theoldbither
theoldbither is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
theoldbither is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steering gear boxes

Is there a difference between 2wd and 4 wd steering gear boxes
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2018, 07:34 PM
fe390pc's Avatar
fe390pc
fe390pc is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,676
fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.
Yes there is also a difference between f100 and F250 4x4 steering boxes.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2018, 03:55 AM
theoldbither
theoldbither is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
theoldbither is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by fe390pc View Post
Yes there is also a difference between f100 and F250 4x4 steering boxes.
Thanks. That really helps my search.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2018, 04:24 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 77,557
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by theoldbither View Post
Is there a difference between 2WD and 4WD steering gear boxes? Yes.
C5TZ-3504-D .. Manual Steering Gear Box: 1965/72 F100/250 2WD; 1967/72 F350.

C7TZ-3504-M .. Manual Steering Gear Box: 1966/75 F100 4WD & 1975 F150 4WD (also used with Power Assist P/S on 1973/75's).

C7TZ-3504-A .. Manual Steering Gear Box: 1967/75 F250 4WD (also used with Power Assist P/S on 1973/75's).
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2018, 05:47 PM
theoldbither
theoldbither is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
theoldbither is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steering gear box

Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
C5TZ-3504-D .. Manual Steering Gear Box: 1965/72 F100/250 2WD; 1967/72 F350.

C7TZ-3504-M .. Manual Steering Gear Box: 1966/75 F100 4WD & 1975 F150 4WD (also used with Power Assist P/S on 1973/75's).

C7TZ-3504-A .. Manual Steering Gear Box: 1967/75 F250 4WD (also used with Power Assist P/S on 1973/75's).
actually the body is on a 70 f250 4x4 chassis and my goal is to convert to power steering. The gear box is from the the 70.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-13-2018, 09:25 PM
RichS2659
RichS2659 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Pole, Alaska
Posts: 1,386
RichS2659 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RichS2659 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You have several choices for a highboy PS.
1. Easiest would be a PS box from a 77.5-79 F-250 from JY, or a semi-rebuilt one from a parts store, if you can find one. $$$
2. Next easiest is the same box from Red Head Steering which thoroughly rebuilds it, and adds bearings where needed that Ford/Saginaw didn't originally provide. More $$$, but do it only once.
3. A PS kit from Benchworks with everything needed which you install. $$$$
4. Fabricate your own with whatever PS box you can find besides the above. $$$$
The PS assist systems which use the manual box are junk with very little parts availability.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-14-2018, 12:05 AM
theoldbither
theoldbither is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
theoldbither is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steering gear box.

Originally Posted by RichS2659 View Post
You have several choices for a highboy PS.
1. Easiest would be a PS box from a 77.5-79 F-250 from JY, or a semi-rebuilt one from a parts store, if you can find one. $$$
2. Next easiest is the same box from Red Head Steering which thoroughly rebuilds it, and adds bearings where needed that Ford/Saginaw didn't originally provide. More $$$, but do it only once.
3. A PS kit from Benchworks with everything needed which you install. $$$$
4. Fabricate your own with whatever PS box you can find besides the above. $$$$
The PS assist systems which use the manual box are junk with very little parts availability.
Thanks. Was thinking about buying a parts truck . Just didn't want to buy the wrong truck. Now have to convince my honey that my free truck is worth a another truck.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-14-2018, 03:32 AM
GaryKip's Avatar
GaryKip
GaryKip is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lind, WA- Eastern WA
Posts: 3,037
GaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to behold
Just tell her "It's all about safety".
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.