1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rack and pinion power steering kit advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:15 PM
jeffinct
New User
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Rack and pinion power steering kit advice

Do any owners have experience with a power steering R & P kit from Western Chassis? It is a bolt on and I can keep the stock steering column. I did not opt for an IFS, but do want to try something that improves the "period" steering. I dropped my F1 at a rod shop in Waterbury, CT this past Friday, I bought Posies springs to lower the chassis about 3 inches and thought the rack and pinion kit would be a good addition. My plan is to keep the external parts "as is" for a farm or shop truck appearance and only focus on the the internals so I can safely drive it on any road.

Also need advice on a master cylinder for a disc/drum set up.

Thanks, Jeff

Old 03-11-2018, 04:23 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
With the period correct straight front axle I don't think that you will see any benefit from the extra expense of adding rack and pinion steering, I would stick with adding a 4x4 Toyota box as many of us have done. With either choice you will need a new steering column. I went with the Flaming River 30" column but others have used IDIDIT and a few have even found parts that work from various junk yards. I would just use the forum search tool looking for "steering column".

Old 03-11-2018, 04:28 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by jeffinct
Also need advice on a master cylinder for a disc/drum set up.

Thanks, Jeff
Lots of good info in this forum on that. Again just use the forum search tool and look for "disc brakes" or "disk brakes".

Old 03-11-2018, 05:20 PM
jeffinct
New User
Pete, Thanks for the quick reply. Noted below is the info from Western Chassis web site about the kit:This power steering conversion kit allows you to bolt up a rack and pinion to your 1948 - 1956 Ford F100 straight axle front end. Our kit eliminates bump steer commonly found on these early style front ends to help improve the ride quality and performance of your vehicle. This kit is also designed to work with stock or aftermarket steering columns. Application info:
  • Includes new steering arms to help correct ackerman and reduce bump steer
  • Increased exhaust clearance over a stock gear box
  • Works with any height leaf spring
  • Applicable to vehicle with stock or aftermarket steering columns
  • T6061 aluminum mounting brackets
  • Direct bolt-on application. No chassis modification necessary.
My mechanic is going to call WC for more details and question the use of stock steering. My mechanic is a talented "old school" rod builder and owns a really nice '37 Ford pick up with all the goodies. I know my truck is in good hands. I will send him a picture of your master cylinder too.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:44 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
A steering rack on a straight axle has to be the worst conversion available .
The Toyota box or even the new steering box available from CPP are MUCH better options .
When I bought my first 56 f100 it had a steering rack fitted , it drove ok but in my opinion it is not a safe way to do it .
So it was the first thing I removed and put the truck back to standard steering , just for my safety .

Old 03-11-2018, 05:50 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by jeffinct
Pete, Thanks for the quick reply. Noted below is the info from Western Chassis web site about the kit:This power steering conversion kit allows you to bolt up a rack and pinion to your 1948 - 1956 Ford F100 straight axle front end. Our kit eliminates bump steer commonly found on these early style front ends to help improve the ride quality and performance of your vehicle. This kit is also designed to work with stock or aftermarket steering columns. Application info:
  • Includes new steering arms to help correct ackerman and reduce bump steer
  • Increased exhaust clearance over a stock gear box
  • Works with any height leaf spring
  • Applicable to vehicle with stock or aftermarket steering columns
  • T6061 aluminum mounting brackets
  • Direct bolt-on application. No chassis modification necessary.
My mechanic is going to call WC for more details and question the use of stock steering. My mechanic is a talented "old school" rod builder and owns a really nice '37 Ford pick up with all the goodies. I know my truck is in good hands. I will send him a picture of your master cylinder too.
I'm not sure but this sounds like a power assist kit like they used to use on cars in the 50s. Here is something similar from CPP but without some of the key components like steering arms. CPP Power Assist Steering

I assume that this is the kit? The price seems right but their P/S pump specs say "800-100 PSI". I think that should read 1000 PSI but that still is a reasonable pressure. You will want the higher PSI pump if you use wide radial tires. https://westernchassisinc.com/1948-5...nd-Pinion-Kit/

I have not used this kit so I am not sure about how valid their claims are or what the durability/reliability is but it says that it has a "limited" lifetime warranty. I would make sure that you understand those details before you buy. Maybe some others can help here?

Old 03-12-2018, 08:29 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I did some research on these systems some time ago, I don't remember too many specifics but as I recall the vendor claimed that the system worked great and the only forum member who had actually bought one found it to be somewhat lacking. Bump steer and reduced turning radius were the biggest issues he had with the system. This was probably 10 years ago so I wouldn't take it as gospel but if I were laying out that much cash for this setup I would look at those areas first.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:52 AM
jeffinct
New User
Based on your comments, I am going with the Toyota manual box and found one not far from me in Massachusetts. I am going to assume all new steering parts such as bushings, etc. are needed and will order those plus special parts to fit the new box in an F1. While in Mass, I will also pick up a C4 transmission from a 1979 pick up to replace the AOD in there now. Thanks again, Jeff