Help 1999 ford f250 7.3 bucking/hesitation issuecolore - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Help 1999 ford f250 7.3 bucking/hesitation issuecolore

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Cdubbin90
New User
Cdubbin90 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hey guys I have a 1999 ford f250 with a 7.3 in it, so far I've replaced the fuel filter, the ipr, the ipc, the cps, the tps all the wiring going into them. The wiring going into the driver side injectors and glow plugs also a new idm. The issue I'm having is hard starts when cold rough driving conditions. When it starts and at an idle it sounds fine but when taking off it bucks and hesitates unless you drive her a little harder then she will blow some whiteish colored smoke and clear up and drive a little nicer but still buck randomly at steady highway speeds. It was really bad on stock tune and I recently acquired a sct programmr and on a performance tune it seems to run better, still not right but better then on a stock tune. If I go back to stock it seems to buck more. When you start to accelerate it sounds okay for a few seconds then does some chattering from the motor and it comes and goes. With WOT IT HAS GOOD power and doesn't really hesitate or buck, this is my first diesel and my first post on the page, I acuired the truck about a month and got it for about 300 bucks, I knew the guy who had it before and knew of the issues it has 151k on the ol ticker. Even with the way it' running me and my buddy were horsing around he has a 2005 chevy durmax 6.6 and we raced, and believe it or not the ol 7.3 spanked him even with the issues it has. So I'm truly hoping it's not an internal issue with causing it a bad compression issue. Here is a video from this am when I finally got it started and what it's doing when it's cold....https://youtu.be/IM7W0U3ZTnc .... Thank you guys any help or input is greatly appreciated sense I'm a newbie with diesel!

Old 03-11-2018, 08:05 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Moving to the 7.3L forum.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:30 PM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
Welcime to fte. Do you have a way to check codes? Have you pulled the valve covers? First thought is one of the uvch plugs is coming loose.
if it has a chip the first thing you might want to do is unplug it and see how it does with out it. A bad connection can cause issues.
I'm sure with a little more info we'll get you figured out
edit: with cold start issues you need to trouble shoot the entire glow plug system to include glow plug ohms, relay, and wiring to make sure it's working properly

Old 03-11-2018, 09:50 PM
HD Rider
Posting Guru
HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome aboard.
Sounds to like under valve cover harness is coming loose. Is the SES light on? If there are any stored codes, we could sure use those.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Cdubbin90
New User
I just pulled off the driver side valve cover yesterday and changed the injector o rings and put new glow plugs in also put a new valve cover gasket in it . But before removing anything all the plugs were still plugged in on all the injectors and the harness still looked good, all 4 injectors ohmed at 2.9 and also started the truck before pulling them to check for any abnormal oil leaking but didn' see any. I do have a tune on it from the sct obd programmer, but after I did the driver side injector orings and valve cover I drove it with the tune for half my trip and pulled over and put it back to stock. It runs completely worse when driving on stock tune. It bucks alot more and hesitates alot more. And yes I have which I think is a decent scanner it's not an AE but I have a launch crp touch pro. Also thank you for the greetings and most off all I really appreciate the help!

Old 03-12-2018, 10:14 AM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
You need to remove your tuning chip, not just turn it to stock. Sometimes the chip itself is the problem and it it always best to remove it from the equation when diagnosing a problem.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:22 AM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ x2 what walleye said

Old 03-12-2018, 10:55 AM
Cdubbin90
New User
It is removed, it' just an obd2 based programmer it' not a chip that goes into the idm so currently the truck is sitting at completely stock with nothing plugged into it. When it' on stock it runs completely worse then when I load a tune onto it

Old 03-12-2018, 12:59 PM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Cdubbin90 View Post
It is removed, it' just an obd2 based programmer it' not a chip that goes into the idm so currently the truck is sitting at completely stock with nothing plugged into it. When it' on stock it runs completely worse then when I load a tune onto it
understood. I know you said you changed the fuel filter but do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Do you know if the in tank mods have ever been done? Have you been under the passenger side cover yet?

Old 03-12-2018, 01:30 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
With the info at this point...........

Not knowing if the socks or tank mod have been done, that would be my first go to. Fuel pump wouldn't be in the equation if it runs better on a tune. Delivery is better but not great/hense the stumble. 151k is nothing to wince about. If everything checks out on the UVCH's I would definitely aim for dropping the tank and making sure there is no restriction from the tank and that would be the Hutch and Harpoon mod that is so necessary and absolutely one of the biggest troubleshooting aspects of our trucks. Aside from the obvious, the major steps are not to throw parts at it just yet, but to keep a clean and organized methodical erase of what is not the problem. Start a chart and slowly go thru the systems and x out the known non causes. For instance, if you do drop the tank and proceed with the [email protected] mod, share it. Going from there puts it at the pump and then forward from there. It is a PITA to really stumble upon a cure, but everything you do to eliminate the cause will be extremely beneficial in the future on such a low mileage plant. The direct approach is to absolutely pick the brains in this forum and ask for advice. I learn more every thread I read whether it pertains to me or not. I sure saved a boat load of money listening to those with a similar experience and cure.

Denny

Old 03-12-2018, 02:26 PM
Cdubbin90
New User
Thank you Denny for the response. Sorry my info is vage. I haven' done anything to the tank yet unfortunately I've been waiting for it to warm up and snow to melt and ground to dry here in northern ia before I got into that commitment. It had so nasty wiring issues which I've been rising what I found of the wires isolator coming off. I haven' yet changed fuel pump. When I installed new idm truck ran without it programmed which I still took to the stealership and paid them to program it and diagnose it. Which idk what they did they had the truck for 2 days told them I'd recommend not to put it outside unless they plug it in due to hard starting. So what do they do put it outside and don't plug it in and call me and said that they updated the idm but werent able to do alot of diagnostic due to they couldn' get it started. Then they told me my issues were my glow plugs from what they found out and that is what was making it buck driving down the road .... Then I got truck back hooked up my scan tool and where it pulls the truck info it says no vin detected or does it pull the info regarding my truck so I honestly don' know what I paid them to do. I confronted them on it and they said they would look into it and call me and I never heard from them and called again with still no answers. So besides an aftermarket air filter the only other mod so far done is if I place a tune on it. Which tonight after work im more then likely going to put back on because the truck drove horrible under normal driving conditions today that was being nice to her and keeping my foot out of it....

Old 03-12-2018, 02:57 PM
HKusp
Post Fiend
HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
Get a fuel pressure gauge put it on and let's go from there.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:16 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Just so the whole "Theater" here is clear on one particularly glaring point to understand your situation. The PCM is located on your left foot sitting in the cab behind the E brake. Is that what you had replaced and reflashed. Sounds like it.

If that is what you had done, disconnect the neg cables on both batteries overnight. Plug and play the next day and then rescan it. I would also take it out for a romp untuned at that point.
The IDM and PCM are two different entities and don't share the common host of problems your delivering.

Another option to do is the HillBilly blow back into your tank. I made it home 240 miles using it and then dropped the tank to find a crapload of sock infused algea, condoms, a few trash bags and cigarette butts plugging my pick up socks in the tank (you get the point). Simply disconnect the fuel pump, aft inlet line (with the correct quick lock tool) remove fuel cap, introduce 4-5 pounds of air in bursts to the line going to the tank. That will blow your socks in the tank free (for the moment). Start slow at 1-2 and then go from there until you hear air coming out of the fill pipe.
Button it up and go for a run. If it displays a different personality, go after the tank. If your sitting in your throne with door closed and everything audible off, cycle the key to run and listen to the pump. If it sounds strong (It will at first until it's primed, may take 3-7 cycles of 20 seconds) then at that point if it sounds ill, that pump is the maybe.

Post your episode carefully, we gotcha!

Thanx,

Denny

Old 03-12-2018, 03:27 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
Orrrrrrrrrrrr, you can buy a gauge 100 lbr, and plumb it in on the engine side of the pump and do the pressure test. That's what Jason is saying above I believe. No need to make it permanent, just a simple gauge and a few clamps and hose. Key on and watch. Buy enough hose that you can hold it out the window and observe during cycles. Should be reading around 60ish lbs.

Good idea as well!!

Old 03-12-2018, 03:35 PM
Cdubbin90
New User
thank you guys I'm loving the new ideas. I'll definitely try pulling the inlet fuel line off tonight and blow it out, that has crossed my mind but I wasn't sure if it would work so I left it be. And yes my apologies it was the pcm I replaced for some reason I thought it was the injector drive module thank you for clarifying that for me Denny. I also have a pillar for gauges and was debating putting a fuel pressure gauge in it as one of my gauges but totally and completely lost on where to start or even how to do it. This is my first diesel so I greatly appreciate each and everyone of you guys helping me. Sincerey thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help 1999 ford f250 7.3 bucking/hesitation issuecolore

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.