1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48-50 F1 Headliner install

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 01:13 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
48-50 F1 Headliner install

OK, i have one of those cartouche carboard headliners and i saw many posts on here about them and others. The only issue i can see is that i don't have anymore than maybe 3/16" gap between the finished steel headboard and the roof. I was thinking the headliner would slide in between there about an inch or so to hold it. Also without being able to do that the sides of the headliner do not line up with the contour up in the corner near where the headliner curves and transitions about the door(off by about 1/2"). I looked at my 52 and it has a good 1/2" of gap that would allow me to push the headliner in there and adjust as needed. If this is an issue with my 50 then i'm going to have to trim which is not something i wanted to do. Here are some pictures of the finished headboard that i'm talking about and i tried to get one showing the dry fitted headliner and the gap caused by not being able to slide it forward between the headboard and ceiling. The green tape is for my alignment marks

Anyone run into this on a 48-50? I think i'm going to have to trim but I'd like to know how far it's supposed slide into that headboard/roof gap before i start hacking.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Oakroadjoe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember doing mine a few years ago,it was NOT fun.Wife and I struggled to get it in. It should go in an inch or so like you thought. Good luck

Old 03-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the same problem with my cardboard headliner. I haven;t tried anything to remedy the problem, because I am frying other fish. But yeah, same issue. Though I don't know the brand, it was given to me.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:53 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Is there something in your header that shouldn't be there that is keeping the headliner from slipping in the whole way?

Old 03-10-2018, 10:19 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Is there something in your header that shouldn't be there that is keeping the headliner from slipping in the whole way?
In my case,I wondered the same thing, but I need to use an inspection mirror to see up in there. A second set of hands would help too!

Old 03-11-2018, 08:05 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Oakroadjoe
......I remember doing mine a few years ago,it was NOT fun. Wife and I struggled to get it in. .......
I'm following this thread because in a couple months I'll be installing mine. It's from Dennis Carpenter, still sitting in boxes down in my cellar.

When the time comes I'll be enlisting the help of my wife to install it. She has helped me in the past with my projects when something needs three or four hands and more patience than I possess.
She helped me install a black vinyl roof on a 1968 Chevelle on a hot windy day, and that was one of those marriage testing moments you hear about.
Any tips I learn on the install are going to make this part of the '49 project that much better.
Tom

Old 03-11-2018, 08:36 AM
bhalemail
Elder User
There's definitely nothing there that I can see or feel. I'm going to see if I can look there with a mirror. My hope would be the old headliner stuck in there. There is simply not enough gap otherwise. I'll report back what I find I just wanted to confirm what I already thought, that it should go in there an inch or so

Old 03-11-2018, 09:59 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by bhalemail
.... I'm going to see if I can look there with a mirror. My hope would be the old headliner stuck in there. ......
Maybe a hidden packet of 60-year-old bearer bonds that are worth 3 million bucks today. Or a Playboy magazine

Old 03-11-2018, 10:45 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by pineconeford

Or a Playboy magazine
More like a b/w photo of some 'It' girl. Like Lillian Gish or Clara Bow. These trucks were mostly used by workin' folk - not dime store cowboys.

On the install, it really isn't some sort of epic battle. I installed mine solo - even test fitted to get the center bracket screw hole located properly - in less than 30 minutes. Just remain calm and use the screw point technique for the hole.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:13 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
OK, there is definitely NOT something in there. There just is NO gap at all the entire length of the headboard. I thought maybe it was bent in the middle but it's the entire way so i'm either going to have to cut the headliner and give it go or have it custom made.I think if i take my time i can cut it clean and use the 1/4" or so above the head board to hide the edge. Then since there is not a lot of holding room i'll probably use a little glue to make sure it stays up. Always a dilemna

Old 03-11-2018, 01:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Not much to lose by first just shoving it in, I can't believe it is that tight. Maybe put a plastic bag over it so if you have to pull it back out a little it won't be scratched.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:08 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,455 Posts
You 48 to 52 guys are lucky in this case. It takes 2 pair of hands to put the headliner in a 53 to 56. It comes new as a piece of flat cardboard with the two sides sewn on. You have to get it to curve without creasing it.... which I did a couple of places in my 54.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:42 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Not much to lose by first just shoving it in, I can't believe it is that tight. Maybe put a plastic bag over it so if you have to pull it back out a little it won't be scratched.
OK i just figured it out thanks to you guys re-assuring me that there should be space. Looks like it is pushed back to the roof. I was able to use a dental pick over the upper edgea pull it out about a 1/4". It won't stay and it's finished in clear so i need to be carefull but i think i can use a spacer and then push it along ith the headlinder into the space This will be tricky but i'll give it a shot.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:54 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Got it! Love this site and everyone's knowledge. I was able to get ahold of it with my pick and then using a spring puller i got a good grip on it and bent it out about 1/4". Not quite was is on my 52 but plenty for the headliner. The paint and clear was hold it as well so i had to defeat that first which wasn't bad. Pictures when i get it done

Old 03-18-2018, 03:20 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
OK today i Attempted to install the headliner.I found the center screw using the locating method, everything seemed fine. But the headline has some waves in it from being rolled up in the box and I can't seem to work them out. Everything else went up fine but these waves are not acceptable. I think i need to figure out how to get them out or get a new one. I don't have it screwed in yet but i don't see how that would help the roof. Screwing the center screw up only makes it worse. I don't have any "buckles" yet but i could lose my patience and have them! Anyone else experience this? Do the side "hinged" pieces go on the outside of the headline or inside or even. The instruction are a complete joke (cartouche) and look like they were reprinted on an old mimeograph back in alementary school. Bascially they say to work from front to back and screw into place. A joke.

Quick Reply: 48-50 F1 Headliner install