98 mountaineer 5.0 vacuum line help!! - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

98 mountaineer 5.0 vacuum line help!!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:56 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
Thelionwarrior is starting off with a positive reputation.
So here's the latest. I used a compressor and blew air through the steel line. Fuel comes out of the pump and to the steel line but for some reason is not going through the steel line? I don't get why.... I know air is getting through cause I put a rubber glove at the end of the line and it blew off.... but... fuel is not getting through. Not even a dribble is making it to the filter.... what the heck am I missing???...what else besides air can I try to run through the steel line?

Old 04-17-2018, 06:55 AM
shorod
Postmaster
shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.
Do you have a MityVac that you can connect to both ends of that fuel line to determine if there's a restriction in the line that you might be able to monitor as basically backpressure. If there's very little backpressure, maybe your fuel line has a good size leak somewhere (that I think you'd see leaking with the fuel pump connected. But if there's very little backpressure the line could also be free flowing and the pump just doesn't generate enough pressure to push fuel to the filter. If you have access to a master fuel injection test kit you should be able to rig up a means to measure the fuel pressure at the fuel pump. Your local auto parts store might even have the master fuel injection tester available through their loan-a-tool program.

-Rod

Old 04-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
Alright! Dropped the tank and come to find out the line was pinched causing it not to put out enough fuel. So, fixed that. Now it runs!!!!! Yay!!!!! But..... smoke is coming from under the engine at the exhaust.... no yay.... now I'm out of my element completely and have no idea why smoke is cominh from here?

Old 04-21-2018, 05:14 PM
shorod
Postmaster
shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.
Congrats on finding the fuel line restriction!

Does the smoke have a distinct odor of either burning oil, burning leaves, burning coolant, burning plastic, or some other distinct smell? I don't really see anything that looks like smoke in the photo above.

-Rod

Old 04-21-2018, 06:27 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
sawmaned is starting off with a positive reputation.
is there old grease or oil on exhaust anywere ? as shorod said whats it smell like

Old 04-23-2018, 05:27 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
Ok got underneath it. Looks like its coming from the transmission area? The smoke is white but honestly I don't eecognize the smell. Not coolant I'm sure. Doesn't smell like oil. No smoke out of the exhaust. Maybe the seal?

Old 04-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
Also abs light is on? Not sure why?

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM
shorod
Postmaster
It's difficult to say what that leak is from since it appears wet as far us as one can tell from the photo. Transmission fluid is a thinner consistency than engine oil and would typically spread out further than this leak, which has obviously been leaking for quite some time. Also, the drips at the front edge of the transmission appear more honey colored rather than pink. Pink would suggest transmission fluid, honey colored would suggest more engine oil. Based on this image, if I had to speculate, I'd speculate it's either a rear main seal leak or possibly something up higher like a valve cover gasket.

As for the ABS light, that's probably not due to this leak. The rear wheel speed sensors are a known common failure point, but there are several other things that could cause the ABS indicator to illuminate. You'll need to get the diagnostic codes for the ABS module read out to have better guidance on that. Note that the typical consumer-grade scan tools usually will not access the ABS system. You need to find one that specifically lists ABS as one of its capabilities, and then make sure that it is compatible with your Explorer.

-Rod

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.