Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

98 mountaineer 5.0 vacuum line help!!

Old 04-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im wondering if this vacuum line doesnt have something to do with it but still cant figure out where the darn thing goes????

Old 04-11-2018, 08:52 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fuel pump

are you sure the fuel pump is turning on ?,there should be a place on the motor to check fuel pressure,but make sure the pump is turning on,also there is a shut off for the fuel pump in cse its been rolled over or a big bump might set it off,i have forgot before to plug the wires back in after i changed a fuel pump once,,?.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
Yes I can hear the fuel pump amd relay when I turn the key. I did push on the schrader valve but nothing came out....so definitely a pressure issue but I'm confused as to where the pressure issue is. I used a flashlight and looked best I could at the fuel pump and do not see any leak. No leak at the filter either. So.....???? IDK.... lost....

Old 04-11-2018, 09:27 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
I haven't replaced the regulator.... would that keep it from starting though? Hmph..... oh and inertia switch isn't popped. Plus fuel pump does come on so pretty sure its not the inertia switch.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
And another thing.... why do all these things I read say to check it with a pressure gauge but don't explain what the problem is if you don't have good pressure? Lol I don't need a gauge for this one. It's clearly not getting good fuel pressure.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:58 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Since your '98 does not have the fuel filter internal to the fuel tank, the next thing I'd suggest you try is to disconnect the fuel line input to the fuel filter, connect a hose to guide any fuel spray in to a container, then turn the key to the Run position a time or two to see if fuel makes it to the fuel filter. Also pay attention to what the fuel looks like that might drip out of the fuel filter. There's a chance your fuel filter is plugged. If it is though, you may want to drop your fuel tank and clean it out as well since the input sock on the fuel pump is likely similarly restricted and the tank probably needs a good cleaning.

-Rod

Old 04-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
Is there anyway to rule out the regulator? Its the only thing I didn't replace that I can think of. I had tested the fuel pump by switching it on and catching the fuel before I connected the line to the filter so I don't think that is the problem.... I suppose something could have got stuck in there after I connected the hose to the filter but I don't think thats likely. To me it would have to be something after the fuel filter causing it which makes me wonder if it's the regulator?

Old 04-12-2018, 05:41 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
Replaced FPR.... no luck..... so guess it's back to the drawing board.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:21 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
if you got fuel to the filter thats good,now do you have fuel coming out of the filter ? if so check the spot were you would check for fuel pressure,

Old 04-12-2018, 08:33 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
Well I know I did when I put it together. But guess I'm gonna have to take one of the lines off again and work backwards. Just really didn't want to. Those lines were horrible to get off the filter.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:21 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
If the fuel pump is working properly, the fuel should come out the line before and after the fuel filter with a lot of pressure. If you didn't check before and after the filter, or it was more of a stream than a pressurized flow, you might still be looking at an issue with the fuel pump. The good news is since you recently had the fittings free from the filter, it shouldn't be nearly as bad to get them apart now.

-Rod

Old 04-13-2018, 04:44 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
Well got under it for a few minutes. And you're right. Can't believe this. No fuel after the filter or to the filter. Can hear it come on though so makes me wonder if I got a bad fuel pump. gotta drop the tank again. Not happy.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:52 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
I can't mess with it tonight but if something is clogging the steel fuel line, how would you get it out aside from using compressed air?

Old 04-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Thelionwarrior
Freshman User
Ok fuel is coming out of pump! Good news! Which means the clog must be in the steel fuel line. Bad news. No idea how to clean the steel fuel line?? Never dealt with this before bit something must be clogging it... I dont even know which way to go at it.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:27 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
do you have fuel right before the filter?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 mountaineer 5.0 vacuum line help!!