Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

what is the proper setting for the front hubs for on road use

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-04-2018, 01:22 PM
nsckids
New User
nsckids is starting off with a positive reputation.

what is the proper setting for the front hubs and in the cab

Old 03-04-2018, 01:58 PM
welb
New User
welb is starting off with a positive reputation.
You really should read your owners manual.Several times.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:08 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by nsckids View Post
what is the proper setting for the front hubs and in the cab
It depends. For the most part, the Auto setting is what you usually want. The manual setting is there in case the vacuum system isn't working properly. Guys that are in 4x4 conditions for months at a time sometimes leave the hubs in manual.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
Between google and this site we don't need no stinkin manuals.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:30 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
run them in Auto most of the time. But once a month or two I lock the hubs in and just run the truck in 2wd to lube and rotate the front end. I do this if I have not used the front end for a period of time.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:04 AM
hoseclamp
Senior User
hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.
I lock them in when the truck is on the hoist getting the winter tires installed, and I unlock them in the spring when getting the summer rubber back on. Super cold temps slow the auto lock function at speed, if they’re locked in you have a much quicker SOTF engagement.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
It depends. For the most part, the Auto setting is what you usually want. The manual setting is there in case the vacuum system isn't working properly. Guys that are in 4x4 conditions for months at a time sometimes leave the hubs in manual.
bingo, I run them in "on" in the winter and "auto" after because it goes into 4wd quicker and will actually go into 4wd even in super sub-zero temps. the switch on the dash controls whether I am in 4WD now.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:30 PM
hoseclamp
Senior User
hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.
That’s exactly how you want to do it. No issues engaging 60/70mph with the hubs locked with insane cold temps, with windshield factor, -60f or colder engagement is no different at 32f with everything already up to speed.