1966 F100 352 automatic won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:01 PM
bman83-mi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1966 F100 352 automatic won't start.

Hi everyone,

My new to me f100 is giving me trouble. When I first got it, a few months ago it would start but would not idle. Seemed like an easy fix, i.e. clogged carb or some other fuel line issue. Now, after a few attempts to start it, I am only get a single loud click at the starter relay, nothing else. My first thought is I burned out the starter, but I'm open to any and all advice/suggestions I can find.

Thanks.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:48 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bman83-mi
Hi everyone,

My new to me f100 is giving me trouble. When I first got it, a few months ago it would start but would not idle. Seemed like an easy fix, i.e. clogged carb or some other fuel line issue. Now, after a few attempts to start it, I am only get a single loud click at the starter relay, nothing else. My first thought is I burned out the starter, but I'm open to any and all advice/suggestions I can find.

Thanks.
Well, that sounds like a dead battery.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:57 PM
bman83-mi
New User
Is possible for the battery to be that low even if all the accessories work; i.e. horn, heater fan, etc.

Thanks

Old 03-01-2018, 12:50 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes it's possible. Starter takes a lot of power. So does the head lights. Do the head lights work as they should. If so, than most likely you need to clean the cable ends. At the starter or battery.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:13 AM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
There are 2 things you need if you own a car or truck and would like to do basic electric diagnosis. A test light, and a VOM. You can buy both for under 40 bux at Sears. You will save that $40.00 bux on your first diagnosis. In this case pick up a VOM and see what you have for voltage at the battery. And take Riders advise and clean the cable ends, all of them, battery, solinoid, and starter, as well as the grounds.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:31 AM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This truck likely needs a complete tune up.
Let me try to explain these engines on these old vehicles. They can hang on a good while with out of spec stuff. Let's say it takes A B C D E F G to run perfectly. D has give it up. You replace or renew D, still or won't run right. It's going to take Replacing ABCEFG to get it back right.

Electrical....
Charge battery
check connections especially the sylenoid and the heavy ground cables.
Check the heavy lead to the starter
Check all connections from the switch to the distributor
​​​​​​ pay attention to the coil connection
​​​​​​ check for spark....good spark at the points
consider new points, plugs condenser...maybe new plug wires
Fuel
Check fuel tank...if rusty replace it! A rusty tank will destroy fuel pumps and carberetors and will leave you stranded.
fuel pump.....these go out ethanol gas kills them
metal lines....blow them out.
rubber lines...renew due to ethanol and age
carberetor consider rebuild if other things do not help
Time...
check timing
this may mean finding #1 and going from there.
The advance may need to be adjusted on distributor position

Time
Spark
Fuel

it should run.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:30 PM
bman83-mi
New User
Ignition coil wire

So after getting into cleaning all my connections I find my ignition coil wire is severed and frayed in the middle. Not sure if something chewed on it or if there is any reason/way the previous owner did this on purpose and wired it via an alternative method.

Let me know if anyone has any advice...Thanks.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:10 PM
jwitty
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
That wire on the inner fender is what your talking about? If so and that is your coil wire then, at least to me is weird. On my truck it comes out of firewall and right on top of engine by valve cover with the coolant and oil wires

Old 03-20-2018, 09:31 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
These old trucks are always going to have serious electrical & corrosion problems in the grounds and connections by now unless you or someone has taken the time to make it otherwise. It is very likely that every single battery cable, starter cable, block to frame and firewall etc cable, are original equipment. Be sure to replace these with new. All the block connector pins & receptacles through the firewall, SAE and bayonet connectors etc need cleaning. It's pretty amazing these connections work at all when you think about it. 50 years out in the rain and pollution & salt and ozone and rust and all that crap.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:18 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatcha think Ted, doesn't look like the original resistor wire to me . Some one ran that wire because most likely the original one broke somewhere along it length. AS DID this one. Looks like a break to me. Look about 2" up that wire. Looks like another break is happening.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:07 PM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
To me, that looks like the wire to run the electric windshield washer fluid pump. Shown as *17A674 in this drawing, coming out of the firewall just above the main connectors.

Chad

Old 03-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by TA455HO
To me, that looks like the wire to run the electric windshield washer fluid pump. Shown as *17A674 in this drawing, coming out of the firewall just above the main connectors.

Chad

I am with Chad on this one.

If its a no-start its a 10 min diagnosis as to why.

Does engine crank fine: If a no crank (after cleaning connections and making sure battery is fully charged) check for 12 volts on starter side of starter solenoid/relay . No 12 volts or full battery voltage then its the start circuit. Check for 12 volts at small wire nearest battery cable side. Remove wire turn key to start and see if you have 12 volts

looks like multiple posts on this will have to re-read

Old 03-21-2018, 01:44 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I was going to mention that, anytime the engine fails to start it is always a good practice to put battery on a charger. Keep it at 100%; if anything it will last longer.

Get rid of those old start and battery cables. Make sure solenoid itself has a clean tight ground.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:44 PM
bman83-mi
New User
Starts again!

Turns out had a bad ground cable from the starter relay to the starter. Replaced it and started right up. Now onto a fuel issue. It starts up right away but only idles for a few seconds and quits. Where's the best place to start with fuel issues?

Old 04-03-2018, 04:50 PM
jwitty
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bman83-mi
Turns out had a bad ground cable from the starter relay to the starter. Replaced it and started right up. Now onto a fuel issue. It starts up right away but only idles for a few seconds and quits. Where's the best place to start with fuel issues?
Does this happen when cold or hot or both? Manual or electric choke? Try keeping it choked fully or just barely open and see if it runs. Does it accelerate at all? Could be fuel delivery issue if it won't accelerate as well as idle. But if it will accelerate but won't idle then you have a problem with idle circuit in carb. Things you can do is to pull fuel line off and crank and see if fuel comes out (should be a good flow not a dribble) and this is assuming mech pump. If there isn't good flow either blockage in fuel line or pump is worn. If good flow carburetor my need just adjustment or cleaned and rebuilt.

Quick Reply: 1966 F100 352 automatic won't start.