F-350 payload help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 08:21 AM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The yellow sticker IS the payload for any particular truck. Max payload numbers on a chart are meaningless, the yellow sticker trumps all. As far as engine choices, for the size of trailer you're looking at, you don't want the 6.2 gasser. The first time you point it up a hill you'll hate it. For pulling a big trailer with a 350, the 6.7 is worth the payload hit. Have you considered just ordering one so you can get exatly what you want? I've done it twice over the years, and it was worth the wait (or weight in your case) to get exactly the equipment and options desired.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:22 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Pswa320

ford certainly doesn’t make this easy

my local dealer had a truck with this 10900 gvw although with an 8 Ft bed which I don’t want and further reduces payload. It still showed 4100 max payload, not sure what the yellow sticker showed.

it was indeed a diesel 4x4 crew cab.

Get it off of the yellow sticker, for THAT individual truck, or it's all "make believe".

I've seen loads of F350 CC, 6.7, option loaded (lariat, platinum, etc) trucks out there with lower capacity than my gas extended cab F250. You take a big payload hit for a CC/diesel/loaded option truck. Might seriously reconsider a dually. And maybe also try to pick out the 5th wheel first, then you have some exact payload numbers to go truck shopping with.

And I don't think I've ever met a single salesman at any dealership ANYWHERE that actually had a clue about truck weight ratings. They always say, "oh, this truck will pull XXXXX", without even looking at the sticker.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:25 AM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by P.Bronner
The yellow sticker IS the payload for any particular truck. Max payload numbers on a chart are meaningless, the yellow sticker trumps all. As far as engine choices, for the size of trailer you're looking at, you don't want the 6.2 gasser. The first time you point it up a hill you'll hate it. For pulling a big trailer with a 350, the 6.7 is worth the payload hit. Have you considered just ordering one so you can get exatly what you want? I've done it twice over the years, and it was worth the wait (or weight in your case) to get exactly the equipment and options desired.
This^^^is exactly right. Get exactly what you want. I had a 2012 F250 with the 6.2, it was a great truck for around home in the flatlands. We took our 5er to PA on vacation in 2016, the hills showed where the 6.2 was lacking in torque. Pulling the 5er in the hills wasn't fun, and those are just little hills. I couldn't imagine pulling through the Rockies with it. Believe me, I was totally against a diesel pickup until that experience, now I own one. 2017 F350, CCLB, 4x4, XLT Premium, factory 5th prep, 11,500gvw. Cargo capacity 3283 on yellow sticker.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 AM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Pswa320
were planning on getting a f-350 to pull a tt/5er and have a couple questions with the payloads pertaining to gvw packages.

looking at the brochure, if we are doing a lariat with 6.7 crew cab 4x4 fx4 20’s and fairly loaded up with ultimate lariat package and the usual bells and whistles for a build like this. Am I reading that either the 11,300 gvw - 4400 max payload or 10,900 - 4000 max payload will likely be what we likely want to order or look for?

trying to get the most out of the payload while keeping our combination below 26k.

thanks
My truck is exactly as you describe and my payload is 3477 with an 11.5k gvw. You will not get a payload anywhere near 4000 in a Lariat 350 SRW. Every 350 SRW Lariat I looked at was in the ballpark of my trucks payload.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Krazyhorse
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real payload

As you may have noticed, there are those who say that the gvwr sticker is the real payload capacity of the truck. End of story...that is all you can carry.

It simply isn't true...it is the allowable payload for the designated weight rating. The designated weight rating is the 11,500 or whatever number...a number designed for taxation and registration....perhaps even for warranty, but nothing to do with capabilities of a truck.

The real payload capacity is dictated by the axle and tire ratings of the vehicle. You can easily find those numbers in the Ford towing guide. They will never agree with the yellow sticker. The GVWR assigned to the federally required sticker is registered weight, a number designed to be used for road and registration taxes. You can take the actual weight off of the sticker and use it to determine how much weight you can carry. Your actual capacity is dictated by your axle and tire ratings. Those are real-world limits with some excess capacity built in. Nobody except the design engineers know how much excess capacity.

Having said that, the GVWR is a nice target, but not one that I critically worry about.A couple hundred pounds isn't an issue. I am conservative and want to allow at least 20% excess capacity on my trailer and truck axles and tires. My F-350 loaded to right around GVWR doesn't even squat the springs....not even a load. My truck has almost 900 lbs payload capacity over and above the sticker using the axle and or tire ratings.

NOW...if you are registered commercial or in some states that have an additional weight based licensing requirement this may not be good advice for you. But for non-commercial registrations, DOT has no interest and no authority to stop you for a weigh....they could weigh you after a violation or crash, but ou and your fifth wheel are not of any interest to them.

Don't misread me. I don't advocate traveling overloaded...it is dangerous. But your capabilities are not the yellow sticker numbers.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:11 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Hell, they showed a Tundra in front of the Space Shuttle on tv, so I should be able to pull a semi trailer with a Ford Ranger/Chevy Colorado, right? I mean, the yellow sticker doesn't mean a damn thing, they just put it on the door jamb for *****s & giggles.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:57 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
In the eyes of the law, the GVWR is the most the truck can legally weigh, and you can't exceed either GAWR in the process. The yellow sticker number is GVWR minus the weight of the truck, as it left the factory, with a full tank of fuel. Beyond that, it's proceed at your own risk. I'm not the weight police and I'm not going to get into any heated debates, I'm just stating the legal facts. I hold a Ca.CDL with all endorsements (A - M1 - T - P - X) and have since age 18. I'm now 54. I only mention this because I have to understand weight ratings. The LEGAL payload capacity of the truck is whatever you can put in it without violating the GVWR and without going over on either axle. This of course assumes the tires and wheels are of sufficient capacity (which is almost never an issue). All this being said, I'm a farmer, and it's been rumored that I've pushed the limits once or twice with my 350. Possibly with the Kenworth as well, but I'll never tell.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:43 PM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
They are driving me nuts over there on that thread. Remember, if your 100lbs over GVWR, God is going throw brimstone and hellfire at you, and you'll burn for the rest of eternity.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:04 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,631 Likes on 2,731 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz
They are driving me nuts over there on that thread. Remember, if your 100lbs over GVWR, God is going throw brimstone and hellfire at you, and you'll burn for the rest of eternity.
You're overreacting. I think the worst you would get is purgatory.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
If you follow the Yellow sticker, here is mine of a 2017 SRW CCLB Platinum 6.7L

Part of the longbeds weight is the weight of the bed, But also it's the 48 gallon fuel tank
You have a rear axle that Ford rates at 7,000 lbs but I've seen rating other than Fords that it's higher than that.
Your OEM Wheels are rated at 3500 lbs each, Two wheels = the 7,000 lbs axle rating
275/65R20 tires at 3750 give you 7500 ;lbs per axle.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:31 PM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
If you follow the Yellow sticker, here is mine of a 2017 SRW CCLB Platinum 6.7L

Part of the longbeds weight is the weight of the bed, But also it's the 48 gallon fuel tank
You have a rear axle that Ford rates at 7,000 lbs but I've seen rating other than Fords that it's higher than that.
Your OEM Wheels are rated at 3500 lbs each, Two wheels = the 7,000 lbs axle rating
275/65R20 tires at 3750 give you 7500 ;lbs per axle.
Serious semantics here, but this isn't quite right. The 2017 F-350 axle is rated for 7230, and the 18-20" SRW wheels are rated for 3950 each.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ps_-_Specs.pdf

Old 03-13-2018, 12:12 AM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a ‘18 Lariat F350 SRW4x4 with 6.7 and 3.31.
11.5 GFW. I chose 18” wheels.Payload was 3478. I have most of the options including the Lariat ultimate package but w/o the moonroof. I have since lost 100# of payload adding the Linex spray bedliner and the Linex Truck Gear FRP tonneau cover ( clone of the Bakflip F1) so guessing I’m around 3375 now.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:07 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz
Serious semantics here, but this isn't quite right. The 2017 F-350 axle is rated for 7230, and the 18-20" SRW wheels are rated for 3950 each.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ps_-_Specs.pdf

The guide you posted shows the SRW wheels at 3590 lbs Not 3950 lbs.
I apologize for rounding down instead of looking up the exact ratings. Informative specs for those interested.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:34 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
cant haul diddly squat is what it comes down to

Old 03-14-2018, 08:50 AM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Skip1970
cant haul diddly squat is what it comes down to
There's your answer folks.