Excursion died while wife was driving, not cps? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Excursion died while wife was driving, not cps?

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 02-26-2018, 05:14 PM
T-wood
Senior User
T-wood is starting off with a positive reputation.

The wife was on her way to an estimate today. Excursion died..it cranks but no start.
Had ex towed home. I figured cps , there was no rpm s while cranking. Grabbed a cps from ford but still no sputter or smoke. Nothing.

I did replace the fuel filter yesterday. Used oem and oem cap. I cycled the key 3 times. I started it on forth time and checked for leaks. All was good. It died on her 8 miles from home today. I've heard about the spring that keeps the vehicle from running wo a filter. Is this my problem? It seemed routine but I'm thinking things point to a fuel problem.

As always I sincerely appreciate the help
B

Old 02-26-2018, 05:21 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
If you haven't allready, pull the filter and have the wife key it on and make sure the pump is filling the bowl.

:') (Sometimes maintenance whoas start where you left off)

Drain valve closed? Anything dripping?

Could be your fuel pump decided it didn't go to work this day?!

Denny

Old 02-26-2018, 05:27 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Afterthought,

Check fuse thirty (I believe) at your knees. 20 amper

Sometimes during an [email protected] of the filter the fuel bowl heater gets nudged just enough to short it out.

If the fuse is blown, reach to the bottom of the fuel bowl and unplug it and replace the fuse in that order. Leave it unplugged until you get a replacement if that's the case. I've been running many years in Northern Michigan without it. No performance issues.

Hope it's that.

Denny

Old 02-26-2018, 05:31 PM
T-wood
Senior User
I pulled the cap off the bowl. It's full of fuel. I replaced the icp 3-4 months ago. So I unplugged it no go tho. It has had the hutch mod. Tank is half full. The tin nut is on.

I'm going back out to check fuses. Let me know if I'm overlooking something.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2018, 05:46 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
Oil level check!! Describe the vehicle, year helps alot.

No tach eh on cranking?

WTS light?

ETC.

This forum is good but we need to completely frisk the thing to know between model years what your dealing with.

Denny

Old 02-26-2018, 05:47 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
You are on the right track. Does the pump run for about 20 seconds at key on? And I'm wondering if the bowl couldn't still be full and still not have a fuel flow problem. Can you measure fuel pressure? Otherwise you can double check by opening the yellow drain valve on the back of the fuel bowl and fuel should run out the drain, which runs down the front of the block on the passenger's side.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:55 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
The first step in a 7.3 no start is to simply check the oil level. Yes the oil level. Your engine could be low by just 3-4 quarts causing a hard start. Unlike other diesel engines the Powerstroke has two oil pumps. One to lubricate the engine components and the other to operate the fuel injectors.

Next lets sit in the driver's seat. Turn the key on, does the "Wait to start light" come on? If the light does not light up check the 30 amp fuse under the steering wheel. This fuse will operate the fuel bowl heater and a power circut for the powertain control module. A common 7.3 PSD problem is the fuel bowl heater shorting out under the fuel filter, which in turn blows the fuse.

Try and crank the engine. If you have a tach guage does it move? If the computer does not see a tach signal it will not turn on the fuel. The truck must also crank fast enough. If it is not cranking fast enough it won't generate a signal for the camshaft position sensor.

Stole that, but I will add, if your batteries are going south, you will have the same problems. Was she driving or was it a restart that didn't.......restart. I'm with Mark (Walleye) on fuel delivery.

Denny

Old 02-26-2018, 06:17 PM
T-wood
Senior User
These are all great checks.
The 30 amp fuse was good. I swapped it with another just in case. With key on there is wait to start light and I can hear the fuel pump. Cranking is strong but no rpms, no sputter. It s a consistent cranking sound.

The truck is a 2002 excursion. Batteries are 2 maybe 3 years old. Cranking sounds strong and quick enough to fire. Oil level is almost to the top of the range. I changed oil 2500 or 3000miled ago.

She took kids to school w it today. And directly home. Went back to kids school to take forgotten homework. Later on her way to work it quit.

I have the fitting and gauge and can check fuel pressure. Is this the next step?

Old 02-26-2018, 06:25 PM
T-wood
Senior User
She was on her way thru a green stoplight when it died. She was able to get it in the turn lane just before the light.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:31 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by T-wood View Post
These are all great checks.
The 30 amp fuse was good. I swapped it with another just in case. With key on there is wait to start light and I can hear the fuel pump. Cranking is strong but no rpms, no sputter. It s a consistent cranking sound.

The truck is a 2002 excursion. Batteries are 2 maybe 3 years old. Cranking sounds strong and quick enough to fire. Oil level is almost to the top of the range. I changed oil 2500 or 3000miled ago.

She took kids to school w it today. And directly home. Went back to kids school to take forgotten homework. Later on her way to work it quit.

I have the fitting and gauge and can check fuel pressure. Is this the next step?
That would be a good thing to check.
Do you have a scanner? I'm thinking it's time to check your IPR after that.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:51 PM
T-wood
Senior User
I'll resume with the pressure test tomorrow. The irony is I just did this with my work truck over the weekend. I ran it off a temporary tank to rule out the in tank screens. No hutch mod on the work truck yet. I decided it needs a Fpr kit.
I just can't bring myself to bath in diesel tonight.
Thanks for the help! I'll let ya know what I find.

Oh and I do have a scangauge. What should I look for with it?

Old 02-26-2018, 07:25 PM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like an IPR coil going bad but that is just a guess.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:53 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Look for injector control pressure and IPR duty cycle. You could look for all of these while you're at it.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:45 PM
T-wood
Senior User
Am I looking for these values while the engine is cranking?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:59 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by T-wood View Post
Am I looking for these values while the engine is cranking?
Yes you are. Vehicle speed, engine oil temp and trans temp wouldn't do you any good at this point. You can check your MAP and EBP with key on engine off, they should be close to each other. And I really don't know about mass fuel desired but it wouldn't hurt to have it, it might help someone who is really familiar with the numbers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excursion died while wife was driving, not cps?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.