Forum update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:55 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 731 Likes on 585 Posts
Methinks I spoketh too soon...
Tried the forum jump again and I guess I'll just have to get used to the new function. If I highlight a forum it automatically jumps to that one. But the "GO" button doesn't work, unless that's a page-only jump thing? It would not let me just jump back to the same forum I was in, which seems like a glitch to me. But maybe my computer just needs to read the instructions...

Paul

Old 04-18-2018, 11:57 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Yep, I guess it's just that it won't let you jump to the same forum that the thread you've got open is in.
I can jump around to any other forum, but not go back to the main page of the one I'm already in.
Need to fix that I think. The alternative is hitting the back button in your browser. Fine if you only have to go back one page, but what if you just looked through a 39 page tech and picture thread?

Paul

Old 04-19-2018, 07:25 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
FORUM UPDATE SUCKS!!!!!!

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN.........THE NEW FORUM FOMAT IS PURE BS. IT IS LIKE MOST “NEW AND IMPROVED” THINGS. NOT SO MUCH

Old 04-19-2018, 09:19 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts

Last edited by glruff; 04-20-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 99150
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN.........THE NEW FORUM FOMAT IS PURE BS. IT IS LIKE MOST “NEW AND IMPROVED” THINGS. NOT SO MUCH
Can I add my .02 to yourcomment - it sucks!!

I've tried to like it but when change is made to something that works, it usually creates way more problems then whatever minor was wrong before.

I heartily dislike change for the sake of change regardless of how much the nerds in a dimly lit room think we all should be on their page. We aren't. We are for the most part, Ford Truck Enthusiasts, not forum style wizards

Old 04-24-2018, 08:12 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Can I add my .02 to yourcomment - it sucks!!

I've tried to like it but when change is made to something that works, it usually creates way more problems then whatever minor was wrong before.

I heartily dislike change for the sake of change regardless of how much the nerds in a dimly lit room think we all should be on their page. We aren't. We are for the most part, Ford Truck Enthusiasts, not forum style wizards

I 3rd that change sucks! Never ever has it been for the better. It is ALWAYS worse.

There is still that ultra annoying black drop down menu bar about everything too. I HATE that black useless menu bar.

And the forum is slower then it ever has been.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:58 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker

There is still that ultra annoying black drop down menu bar about everything too. I HATE that black useless menu bar.
That's what I use for my forum jump. That part of it works really well, it's the only part of it I use though.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:31 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Well, in spite of still wanting a workable forum jump, I am starting to really like (maybe because it's the only real option at this point) the new scroll menu. I forgot what they called it, but the recent update that drops the forum header down into view when you scroll, no matter where you are on the page, is very handy.
So now when I reply and still want to stay in the same forum, instead of using the standard forum jump, I just run the pointer up to the top of the page and click on the forum sub-category I'm currently in.
Works very well.

But now I have another problem...
More on that next.

Paul

Old 04-29-2018, 12:35 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
So a problem that I've noticed since the first major site change is the cursor jumping wherever it wants to.
I didn't mention it until now because I thought it could just be me. Then when I knew for sure it was happening, I thought it might be my keyboard. But now I'm pretty sure it's neither.

What happens is that when I'm replying and hit either the backspace key or delete key (but most often when backspacing) is that I lose the cursor position. I might get one or two clicks and erase the letters that I'm intending, but then the cursor jumps to either the end of the post or somewhere in the middle. Just not where I expect it. If I'm typing quickly and not watching diligently, I might erase over things I want to keep. VERY ANNOYING!!! To say the least.

Since this has started I've had to hit the "undo" function so many times it's become second nature. And I type slower so I can watch the cursor to make sure I catch it when it inevitably jumps.
So is it just my computer then? Or have any of you others experienced that cursor jump too?

Paul

Old 04-29-2018, 12:42 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Oh, and last, but not least for this morning, is anyone else getting one of those denial-of-service popups with the voice telling you to call them or your computer virus won't be fixed?
This happens only on this site for me, and has now happened on five separate occasions. I can go for a few days to a week without a problem, then it pops up again.
If I'm actually viewing the site, my computer functions cease and I can't get out of it other than on a hard shut down. If I happen to be in another window (I have a few open at most times) when it happens, I can hear the ad, but still use the computer. In those cases (such as yesterday) I can continue working as long as I don't open this site window, and successfully close just the tab for this site. The verbal assault continues for about ten seconds after that and ceases. I can then reopen Firefox and continue working.

If I have to make it a hard shutdown, when Firefox opens back up it will prompt me to open only selected tabs so I can do that without opening Ford-Trucks. When I re-open it all is well for a few days.

Again, is it just me and something on my computer? Or are others having this phishing expedition?
Sorry that this is not officially a "site update" question, but it only started after the updates and there are a lot of knowledgeable people watching this forum. If needed I'll ask it elsewhere, but for now this seemed like the place.

Thanks

Paul

Old 04-29-2018, 06:20 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by 1TonBasecamp
Oh, and last, but not least for this morning, is anyone else getting one of those denial-of-service popups with the voice telling you to call them or your computer virus won't be fixed?
This happens only on this site for me, and has now happened on five separate occasions. I can go for a few days to a week without a problem, then it pops up again.
If I'm actually viewing the site, my computer functions cease and I can't get out of it other than on a hard shut down. If I happen to be in another window (I have a few open at most times) when it happens, I can hear the ad, but still use the computer. In those cases (such as yesterday) I can continue working as long as I don't open this site window, and successfully close just the tab for this site. The verbal assault continues for about ten seconds after that and ceases. I can then reopen Firefox and continue working.

If I have to make it a hard shutdown, when Firefox opens back up it will prompt me to open only selected tabs so I can do that without opening Ford-Trucks. When I re-open it all is well for a few days.

Again, is it just me and something on my computer? Or are others having this phishing expedition?
Sorry that this is not officially a "site update" question, but it only started after the updates and there are a lot of knowledgeable people watching this forum. If needed I'll ask it elsewhere, but for now this seemed like the place.

Thanks

Paul
I hate to say this but from the sounds of things you have an infection of more type or the other.
Try the tool over at Trendmicro. They are save and do a good job.
https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/for...housecall.html

The tool will want to install a helper onto your computer and you have to allow it to so that the online
scan tool can run on your computer. they have been one of my go to places when issues show up.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:11 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Thank you Sean...great advise

Old 04-29-2018, 08:14 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Yes, thanks very much for that link. I was afraid it might be just me, but one can hope it's just a bugaboo of a website (is there such a thing?) and an easy fix.
Funny, but they can get through anything. I have a physical Firewall, a Windows Firewall, and (I think) an active one from System Mechanic Pro. Perhaps the aftermarket one and the Windows one don't work together and only one is active though. Haven't been paying attention lately.

I'll check out trendmicro's stuff and let you know if that fixes it. Odd that it's only on this site that it crops up (or appears to anyway) unless it's just insinuated itself into my browser and that's how it acts.

Thanks again.

Paul

Old 04-29-2018, 08:54 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
System Mechanic Pro might be part of the issue. Not sure if they are still loaded with resource-hogging adware or not still.
One tool I used to use with all the PCs I had is from Eset. The best way to do it used to be only one AV tool. they interfere
with each other. A hardware and software firewall are ok together.

Here is a link to the Eset.

https://www.eset.com/us/

Eset also has an online scan tool. it is also one of the good ones IMHO.
https://www.eset.com/us/download/tools-and-utilities/

Old 04-30-2018, 12:22 AM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
The current version does seem a bit weaker than it's predecessors. Doesn't clear as much out, or obviously improve things and doesn't do anything automatically anymore. Probably just settings, but they've never been very good about explaining what or how to use there junk.
Probably assume it's just "intuitive" and leave it to the user.
But the ads aren't very intrusive anymore. Just an occasional popup saying to "act now to continue your service!" (yeah, 9 months before mine expires!), but nothing too egregious in my book.

Paul

Quick Reply: Forum update?