Cold Transmission Fluid Exchange - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Cold Transmission Fluid Exchange

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 02-26-2018, 03:34 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
akblackfoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.akblackfoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Not sure if everybody has seen this over on the Superduty forum but it looks interesting. Thoughts?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-exchange.html

Old 02-26-2018, 07:01 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
diesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud of
Thanks for posting this up -- it has been brought up before and now is in the Tech Section.

Personally, I think the need for a full fluid exchange is when the fluid has gone too long without normal service. I think if you are running the 6.4 filter, dump and fills will do, with a filter change every 60K.

But that is just me...

I had an interesting discussion with the guy I bought our Motorhome from, who happened to be a GM transmission guy his whole career.

He was not convinced I had any need whatsoever, to change the fluid in our Allison 3000 to the new Transynd synthetic fluid. He basically said he thought people changed their trans fluid too often and synthetic was not needed in our application -- it is just a 33' class A with a HUGE transmission in it; same MH came with an Ally 2000 and 2500 most of the time...

Longer service intervals and even more temperature stability was my reason. So why would I question my 6.0 brethren wanting to do full fluid exchanges doesn't make any sense...

We all do what we want to do...

Scott

Old 02-26-2018, 07:33 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
akblackfoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.akblackfoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm doing the 6.4 pan and filter so I'm going to do this method while I'm at it. Bought the truck with just under 160K and now has just over 180k. Had a shop do the last transmission service and I doubt they did a full fluid exchange. Don't know how it was treated before so figure it's a good time to do this.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:24 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by akblackfoot View Post
Not sure if everybody has seen this over on the Superduty forum but it looks interesting. Thoughts?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-exchange.html
I think it's a great idea. I recommend it.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:55 PM
HT32BSX115
Postmaster
HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
I think it's a great idea. I recommend it.
This sounds like the way to go!
Doing it this way, will it completely and quickly flush through the torque converter? (I.E how fast does fluid exchange through the TC under normal operation?)

Rick

Old 02-28-2018, 10:57 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115 View Post
Doing it this way, will it completely and quickly flush through the torque converter? (I.E how fast does fluid exchange through the TC under normal operation?)
Yes, it will quickly flush the torque converter.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:59 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Just did this today and did the pan and filter upgrade. The old filter has a May 2012 stamp on it so it was changed at some point. Not very much on the magnet Only thing that was a little hiccup is the tube diameter you need is 1”OD and not 3/4 as in the video.

I used the 6gallon bag in a box Mercon LV. I also cycled through the gears while it was flushing as Mark suggested. Not sure how much better this is for my truck but it gives me a good feeling anyway. 😉.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:24 AM
Dodgecase
New User
Dodgecase is starting off with a positive reputation.
Love it, thank you

Old 01-24-2019, 10:14 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115 View Post

Rick
Rick I have a local place that has the large 6 gallon boxes in stick last time I checked.
I picked up two of them last time I was up that way. They still had a back room full of them.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:07 AM
HT32BSX115
Postmaster
HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Rick I have a local place that has the large 6 gallon boxes in stick last time I checked.
I picked up two of them last time I was up that way. They still had a back room full of them.
Hey thanks for that! I am going to need to do this pretty soon too. I already have the new pan and filter.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:23 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
I have one sitting here waiting to be installed. With the silly things I have
found in this truck I really want to flush out any crap the PO may of done.
Also will that heater use trans fluid?

Old 01-25-2019, 11:13 AM
AL`
Junior User
AL` is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I did this, I had the wife count to 4 in each gear while I watched below. That was enough time to make it through all the gears and back to P with a little to spare before killing the engine.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:43 PM
HT32BSX115
Postmaster
I have one sitting here waiting to be installed. With the silly things I have
found in this truck I really want to flush out any crap the PO may of done.
Also will that heater use trans fluid?
It will,

All motor oils up to SAE50, all hydraulic fluids, diesel, kerosene(jet fuels, Diesel #1 etc) non-volatilepaint thinners are all good............ (but NOT acetone, lacquer thinner or gasoline) , basically any hydrocarbon that does NOT produce an ignitable vapor at room temps.......or it can go BOOM!

They recommend not running it on hypoid gear lubricant......I take that to mean do not run it straight. I have been dumping gear lube in the tank since I have had it. It's very small amounts though...on the order of maybe 5% or so. I just have to be careful to ensure there's no water in any of the oil I put in there.

I suspect I could even burn vegetable oil but it doesn't mix well with regular oils.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:43 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Well them you can have it when I have done the job. The hypoid gear lubricant may be the sulfur content.

I think it would be handy if someone where to turn an adaptor out of aluminum with some O-rings that
would fit into the pump intake (where the filter neck goes) and not have to fuss with the fitting of a hose.

Even better would be a plastic or a teflon (Expensive) insert. But really that would be some thing a
small shop would find handy to have that deals with the 5R110W trans a lot.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:17 AM
HT32BSX115
Postmaster
Well them you can have it when I have done the job. The hypoid gear lubricant may be the sulfur content.

I think it would be handy if someone where to turn an adaptor out of aluminum with some O-rings that
would fit into the pump intake (where the filter neck goes) and not have to fuss with the fitting of a hose.

Even better would be a plastic or a teflon (Expensive) insert. But really that would be some thing a
small shop would find handy to have that deals with the 5R110W trans a lot.
It seems that 1" OD clear vinyl hose does the job doesn't it?
But I think a better choice might be cutting the "snorkel" off an old filter and just using a few simple plumbing fittings to connect it to a hose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Transmission Fluid Exchange

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.