1927 TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:17 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
1927 TT

I have been planning to get this beauty and finally got her home today!! Wow what a find. Anybody know of good books or manuals to get to help me through learning more about this truck?

1927 TT

Old 02-24-2018, 11:14 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
You have a nice rust free truck; you can't go wrong with this. White 66 knows about these trucks and will probably chime in soon.
Also there is a lot of knowledge on TT's here:

Model T Ford Club of America

Old 02-25-2018, 07:28 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice score but are you sure it's a 27. I'm no T expert but that cowl looks earlier.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:38 AM
white 66
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the TT affliction.

Originally Posted by thrifty
I have been planning to get this beauty and finally got her home today!! Wow what a find. Anybody know of good books or manuals to get to help me through learning more about this truck?

1927 TT
Here are a couple of things to get you started.

FordBarn Model T forum

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Model T club of America

Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018

That truck cab is commonly referred to as a "square cab" or sometimes "phone booth" or "closed cab". Much warmer to drive than any of the others in the winter but can be a bit hot in the summer.

Ford did not make any kind of metal cab for the big trucks until 1924. At that time you could buy the C-cab or the closed cab. These of coarse were continued throughout 1927ish. You can find the mounts for the kerosene lamps for that cab, most did not have them. You are lucky if all of the trim is in tact inside and out and even more so if the there is no rot.

I also think that it could be an earlier truck but many details would tell you for sure including the engine serial number. Also some of the later years had the serial number on the frame but unfortunately it was often under the cab.

Check to see what ratio the rear end is, hopefully you have the higher speed worm drive or you will be doing about 15 to 20 mph tops unless you have an auxiliary transmission of which there were numerous ones produced just for the TT or Ton Truck.

Attached Images   
Old 02-25-2018, 01:11 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
If that truck at the bottom of the thread is yours,

it looks good!!!
Truck is in the desert and there is a lot of dirt on the floorboards, truck was restored in 75? That is what is on the far side of the dash (info) The other side has one that is out of California that is was set up for banjo picking (in the back bed, I guess)

This sat for 20 years

Old 02-25-2018, 01:19 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
Sorry for the double pic. Here is the other one

Everything looks solid, Just have to many projects in the fire right now. But I had to jump on this before it got away. I have passed by this truck for 20 yrs. It ran for 2 then was parked. I have more pics on my homepage in my pictures

I have a lot to learn on this one Where is the serial # on the engine? The vin is on the frame you said. Is there a tag that is on the exterior of the truck?

Old 02-25-2018, 01:59 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Model T Ford Forum: VIN plate

You have '27 floor pedals. This is a '27 hogshead: 2 top bolts to the engine.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:53 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
Just went an looked I have 2 bolts at the top just like your pic. The center hole has a sending unit there? Btw thanks for every ones help

Old 02-25-2018, 03:32 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Yes, it sends a signal form the rotating magneto. I don't completely understand the system yet as my model t is still under construction in good weather.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:11 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by thrifty
Just went an looked I have 2 bolts at the top just like your pic. The center hole has a sending unit there? Btw thanks for every ones help
Thrifty, that is so cool. I wouldn't even wash the dust out of it if it were mine. What a time capsule!

Old 02-25-2018, 07:08 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
When I was talking to the owner of it I was pumped up and showing enthusiasm. He was glad it would get a good home. The condition of the truck is so good how could you not get pumped. I look back at all the projects I took over(and still have) with a ton of work and money. At least all of them now are close where I am not replacing every part that is on the truck

Old 02-25-2018, 07:46 PM
white 66
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Warford in your truck???

Coil box is 26/27. Looks like a Warford auxiliary transmission in your truck. Lots of good stuff still on your truck, cool!. Drain all of the the oils, cover the openings and blow that dust out first. May want to take water to it after that to get the dust out of the cab nooks and crannies. (Bet there is at least an inch or more of dust/dirt down inside of those doors and possibility the cab corners). Check inside the fuel tank.

Put fresh oil/antifreeze and gear lube in everything, oil the commutator and chassis points. Once you have some gas in it that old truck should run. Wish I could be there to help. (oh put both levers up when you are trying to start).

Serial number is hand stamped on the drivers side of the engine just above the water inlet housing. This should match the title.

Keep posting pics and or a video for everybody here, should be fun.

Last edited by white 66; 02-25-2018 at 08:02 PM. Reason: add text
Old 02-25-2018, 08:10 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
I am assuming this trans will help the truck run faster? Sorry for my ignorance, but I eventually will grab some the knowledge you guys have. And I am so grateful. I am going to order some manuals I have been eyeing on Ebay. I will have to get pics of the under side of it. I will also remove the tank and clean it out and change all the fluids

Old 02-25-2018, 08:58 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think any of the 2 speeds made the truck run any faster, just gave it more gears so you could haul more up hills and not stall out. I have heard rumors of ones For AA that were overdrive but can't say I ever seen one, or met anyone who has.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:27 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
My last AA had a warford. I was excited. In reality it iurned to be the regular low and engaging the warford it was lower still. They had different needs back then, as you stated.

Quick Reply: 1927 TT