1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Fuel Trims only 0.75 during cold start-ups?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 02:18 AM
mdr617
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
We can't be sure about anything with only one readout.
You need to look at start time, then midway through the temperature rise , then at full running temperature.
If you are not having any cold start issues as the tables shift vs temperature , then leave well enough alone.
If they are near zero or neutral as designed to run on a near perfect system and react to shifting rich on acceleration, that's all you can get.
What would you do the change it and what would you like to see?
How do you know the program your running on has not been altered?
The SCT device you have provoked the question!
It being a 4.2 may be programmed different than V8. It is a smaller displacement motor.
On my 4.6 the short tables shift to about 4% +/- depending on the ambient outside temperature, then shift back toward zero and hunt as the Ox sensors signals dictate.
They are never static at zero any more than the Ox senors voltages do not stay stable but hunt according to the exhaust Ox content from each cylinder.
The long tables could be any value depending on the system health and ideally Zero on a perfect engine.
Good luck.
All I would like to see changed are the short term fuel trims, which are the reason it gets the lean code, otherwise it runs great.

The SCT device I am utilizing has been programmed with all the specifics including 4.2 V-6, auto, 2wd, gear ratios, tire size, exhaust and intake modifications, ect. It is very application specific and I have verified all settings.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:40 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
If you re-read post #4, donated by @Chad, it indicates that fuel trims should be between -25% and +35%.
I’m not sure I understand how your scan tools is reading in hundredths of a percent. Is it doing some kind of a conversion of the regular Ford fuel trims?

Old 03-08-2018, 12:41 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
If you re-read post #4, donated by @Chad, it indicates that fuel trims should be between -25% and +35%.
I’m not sure I understand how your scan tools is reading in hundredths of a percent. Is it doing some kind of a conversion of the regular Ford fuel trims?

Old 03-08-2018, 03:52 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
1. It is completely normal for the trims to be fixed and a bit rich during cold engine startup. That's a programmed behavior. You have to wait for the system to go into closed-loop operation before the computer starts adjusting trims based on the O2 sensor data

2. Use a real scan tool or equivalent, not a tuner, for in-depth diagnostics. The tuner is limited on what it can do and it appears yours is presenting data in a rather non-standard way which is increasing confusion.

Bottom line, I think you're chasing a ghost due to your tuner's data format and your misunderstanding of what to expect. Next time you get a MIL, use the scan tool to read the freeze frame data so you see what the operating conditions were when the DTC was posted. That helps narrow down the possibilities and reduces guessing (along with wasted time and money).

Old 03-08-2018, 11:32 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
At this point it's all confusion.
If your emissions inspection plugs into your DLC port and looks for codes, that all you need if none are set and all PIDS are complete..
They don't normally look at fuel trim data.
If you have program data changed do to mods, it may be a problem especially if you go to a dealer and they see it..
BTW, shorting out the battery leads and leaving power off long term is foolish when it only takes a minute or two to accomplish by either doing a Code Clear, momentary single battery cable disconnect or pulling a PCM fuse and replacing it back in the holder.
Get a regular Scanner, look at what you have and go from there.
We can't tell you about what your tool has in it.
Every time you reboot the computer you clear all tables of auto adjust data. such that you have to do a couple drive cycles to see where the system settles at..
It even has to build the cold start. and hot restart table all over again each time.
Please listen.
Good luck..

Old 03-12-2018, 08:56 AM
mdr617
Elder User
Took care of it, working great now. Manually turned up the fuel trim using the tuner until closed loop is reached at a set RPM. Everything has been working great.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:16 AM
mdr617
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
At this point it's all confusion.
If your emissions inspection plugs into your DLC port and looks for codes, that all you need if none are set and all PIDS are complete..
They don't normally look at fuel trim data.
If you have program data changed do to mods, it may be a problem especially if you go to a dealer and they see it..
BTW, shorting out the battery leads and leaving power off long term is foolish when it only takes a minute or two to accomplish by either doing a Code Clear, momentary single battery cable disconnect or pulling a PCM fuse and replacing it back in the holder.
Get a regular Scanner, look at what you have and go from there.
We can't tell you about what your tool has in it.
Every time you reboot the computer you clear all tables of auto adjust data. such that you have to do a couple drive cycles to see where the system settles at..
It even has to build the cold start. and hot restart table all over again each time.
Please listen.
Good luck..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=hZAsoqmqhdM

Posted by other users on here, on a thread you were on as well, about the battery cable thing. Just remembered.