2019 - 2023 Ranger Everything about the new 2019-2023 Ford Ranger.

More Auto Show Coverage

Old 02-23-2018, 07:23 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
More Auto Show Coverage

I was at the Pittsburgh Auto Show last weekend and saw exactly what I was hoping to see, a 2019 Ford Ranger on display. Although it was roped off to prevent people from getting too close and climbing all over it, I got as close as I could with my phone and took a few pictures. As predicted, Ford was showing off the Lariat Crew Cab model, though I really wanted to see more of the Super Cab as that is what I would be buying. I do really like the blue on this truck though!
I talked to a sales rep for a minute. He didn't know much more than Ford has released through the media but did imply that there may be a N/A engine as an entry level option in the future as Ford does realize that there are many buyers who simply don't want a turbocharged engine. As I've said many times, I'd rather have a N/A V6 over a turbo-4 anyday; even if the Ecoboost 4 would be more powerful. We did not discuss a diesel option as that is not something that would be very practical for me at this time. The Ranger should be in dealers by early 2019.

Attached Images      
Old 03-01-2018, 12:15 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Nice looking truck!

bruce...

Old 03-01-2018, 04:43 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for posting.
i like that blue as well.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah the more I think about it, the mid-size truck would be exactly what i need in a truck right now. Right now I have an 8' bed F-150 that I haven't used to capacity in the nearly 2 years that I've owned this truck. Twelve years ago it was a different story when I bought my 2006 F-150 new and I was working it hard everyday. I was using it to capacity at least once a month for a while. I traded up a 1995 Ranger for it that was just getting beat to death long before its time. But now I'm in a different job, and a different lifestyle; and the full-size truck is actually more truck than I need. When I bought this current truck 2 years ago I actually wanted to buy another Ranger. But the late-model Ranger 4x4 Supercabs in my area were selling for just as much money as an F-150 of similar age, equipment, and mileage. And as we know, by 2011 the Ranger was essentially a 10-year old truck. Whereas in 2011 the F-150 was largely a new truck with current technology. I paid less for my 2012 F-150 XL 4x4 than I would have for a 2009-11 Ranger Sport or XLT Supercab 4x4, automatic. And my current 3.7 produces more power with better fuel economy than the admittedly archaic 4.0. The old 4.0 was a good engine for its time; but by 2011 that time had long since passed. That was a 90's era motor, with roots in the 70's; trying to keep up in the modern world.
The new Ranger, from what I've seen and read, seems to be exactly what I need in a truck at this point in my life. Not sure that I want to pay for the Lariat trim, but I figure I'll be ready to buy a new truck in about 5-6 years. By then we'll see where I'm at. Right now my 2012 '150 has only 46k on it so still a lot of life left in it, despite the fact it will be 9-years old before I pay it off.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:24 PM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a N/A 2.5 duratec wouldn't be bad. they crank out about 170 hp and 170 ft lbs depending on the application. update it with the hybrid direct/port inj and you'd have a fine engine for base and ext cab models.

I'll stick with the EB option when I finally get a chance to get it

Old 03-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by db_tanker
a N/A 2.5 duratec wouldn't be bad. they crank out about 170 hp and 170 ft lbs depending on the application. update it with the hybrid direct/port inj and you'd have a fine engine for base and ext cab models.

I'll stick with the EB option when I finally get a chance to get it
Does Ford still offer the NA 2.5 in anything? I don't hear about it, but maybe because it gets overshadowed by the EB engines so much. But yes it does seem to be a good little motor. My wife's 2010 Fusion has the 2.5 Duratec. She does a lot of driving, most of in the city; and the car does it without complaint. We've only had it 6 months and I drive it on average about once or twice per month. It does seem to be a reliable and faithful little mill. Given the choice between that or the 2.3 EB in a Ranger, it might be a tough choice for me right there. I'd have to drive the NA truck and see the capacitieson it and determine what my needs were now or would be in the near future.
Although if you look at the numbers, the 2.5 Duratec produces more power and torque than the 3.0 Vulcan OHV that was in my 1995 Ranger. That was a very good truck that would do anything I asked of it!
Oh hell! C'mon Ford, give us the 6.2 and be done with it!

Old 03-10-2018, 09:27 PM
ck1404
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just reading an article about a surprise surge in Nissan Frontier sales last month. The Frontier does have a good, strong n/a V-6 and a reliable transmission. It's OK. Plenty of us were waiting too long for the new Ranger and the lack of engine choice is a deal breaker. Ford may already be losing future sales before the new truck is even introduced.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:59 PM
db_tanker
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
Does Ford still offer the NA 2.5 in anything? I don't hear about it, but maybe because it gets overshadowed by the EB engines so much. But yes it does seem to be a good little motor. My wife's 2010 Fusion has the 2.5 Duratec. She does a lot of driving, most of in the city; and the car does it without complaint. We've only had it 6 months and I drive it on average about once or twice per month. It does seem to be a reliable and faithful little mill. Given the choice between that or the 2.3 EB in a Ranger, it might be a tough choice for me right there. I'd have to drive the NA truck and see the capacitieson it and determine what my needs were now or would be in the near future.
Although if you look at the numbers, the 2.5 Duratec produces more power and torque than the 3.0 Vulcan OHV that was in my 1995 Ranger. That was a very good truck that would do anything I asked of it!
Oh hell! C'mon Ford, give us the 6.2 and be done with it!
In fact the current Fusion and Escape does have as the base engine the 2.5 Duratec. 175 HP and 175 Ft Lbs torque for front wheel drive applications. You can normally get a bit more out of an engine generally if you go RWD so figure you can get mebbe 185 HP and torque possibly by using DI and bumping the compression.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by db_tanker
In fact the current Fusion and Escape does have as the base engine the 2.5 Duratec. 175 HP and 175 Ft Lbs torque for front wheel drive applications. You can normally get a bit more out of an engine generally if you go RWD so figure you can get mebbe 185 HP and torque possibly by using DI and bumping the compression.
Good to know. This might be something that Ford's engineers can look into if they find that they are losing sales for lack of powertrain choice. Like I said the 2.5 in my wife's Fusion seems to be a willing and reliable engine. I have no complaints about it.
Regarding the Nissan Frontier, I know two people that have them and work them pretty hard. Nissan's 4.0 V6 seems to be pretty capable, but Nissan neglects to install a transmission cooler on the Frontier, even when the towing package is ordered. I know a guy who cooked the transmission in his from towing with it a lot. My dad has a 2016 Frontier crew cab that he tows his camper with. It seems like a nice little truck, closer in size to the previous North American Ranger than anything else on the market today. I hope he got an extended warranty on his powertrain as often as he tows with it, though. I told him to keep an eye on the transmission but I'm not sure if he's listening. Just like his son, he thinks he knows everything!

Old 03-14-2018, 06:06 PM
db_tanker
Elder User
Speaking on the items like tranny coolers and such...I am hoping that the chassis and minor body differences aren't to the point where items made for Aussie spec Rangers will not fit.

ARB and OME make some AWESOME equipment for their trucks to be reliable and usable in the Outback.

You mention the Nissans...I miss the Desert Runners to be honest. 2 wheel drive with a lift and nice graphics...sounds mighty similar to the FX2 I am lusting for.

XLT with the FX2 package. Get me a snorkel because why not.

Man I am getting worked up for this truck. lol

Old 03-15-2018, 01:46 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
I have looked on Ford of Australia's website enough to know that their Ranger is diesel only; and is available with a 6-speed manual transmission, which ours will not be. And of course, it is RHD. Beyond that I'm not aware of what is provided for it by third-party vendors, as I have not studied it in great detail. I know that Ford outfits the truck to be quite capable handling their rugged terrain from the factory, so I'm not sure how much help is needed from the aftermarket. Their Ranger Wildtrak, which should be similar to our FX4, is a darn rugged little truck!
Sometimes I've had thoughts of an FX2 type Ranger; XL or XLT/Chrome package Very rarely do I really need 4wd for the snow here in PA, although now that I have it I'm becoming spoiled by it (my current '12 F-150 is the first 4x4 I've ever had). My previous truck was a 2006 F-150 4x2 with limited-slip and in all but the worst snow storms, went anywhere I needed to go. I use my 4wd more for getting myself out of sticky situations in mud more than anything else. I will say it does give me the confidence to go places that I never would have tried to go in my '06, as good as that truck was.
What I'd like to see Ford do with the new Ranger FX4 is a factory Hi-rider such as they did with the STX 4x4 in the 80's, if you'll remember those. An STX 4x4 that came from the factory with a 1.5" lift along with a blacked-out grille guard, roll bar, and KC off-road lights!

Old 03-20-2018, 10:38 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 327 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by ck1404
Just reading an article about a surprise surge in Nissan Frontier sales last month. The Frontier does have a good, strong n/a V-6 and a reliable transmission. It's OK. Plenty of us were waiting too long for the new Ranger and the lack of engine choice is a deal breaker. Ford may already be losing future sales before the new truck is even introduced.
Same thing happened when the new Chevy Colorado came out. I think it gets people in the market for a midsize truck when these new, exciting products are released, but when they actually start shopping they find out that for $5,000 to $7,500 less money they can get the Nissan Frontier which has been on the market for 12 years and is proven, and the Nissan also has the most V6 torque in the segment, despite being 12 years old. So they go home with a Frontier instead.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:44 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by WXboy
Same thing happened when the new Chevy Colorado came out. I think it gets people in the market for a midsize truck when these new, exciting products are released, but when they actually start shopping they find out that for $5,000 to $7,500 less money they can get the Nissan Frontier which has been on the market for 12 years and is proven, and the Nissan also has the most V6 torque in the segment, despite being 12 years old. So they go home with a Frontier instead.
My father bought his Frontier in 2016 for the same reason. A comparable Colorado crew cab would have been another several thousand dollars, and the Chevy dealer told him he would have to wait another 2-3 weeks before they could get one. He went over to the Nissan dealer he had dealt with several times through his previous post-retirement job, and they had quite a few Frontier crew cabs in stock for him to choose from. Instead of having to wait 3 weeks, he drove his new truck home that day while saving a few thousand dollars in the process! The newer technology of the Colorado means little to him, The Frontier still does everything he needs it to do.
I have heard through the rumor mill that Nissan is currently developing an all-new Frontier that is expected to debut around 2020-21(?). We'll see then if they can still manage to keep the cost that much lower than the competition.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:02 AM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
(In reference to the last post) I'm looking to purchase my next new truck when my lease is up. I can't bring myself to pay $550+ per month for 7 years, so I'm hoping the Ranger is priced right. A $32k STX 4x4 is my hope, otherwise I'll be buying a Frontier if the current model is still in production. Love the F-150, just don't "need" it that bad to pay the extra $5-$10k for it.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by 2.7EcoBoost
(In reference to the last post) I'm looking to purchase my next new truck when my lease is up. I can't bring myself to pay $550+ per month for 7 years, so I'm hoping the Ranger is priced right. A $32k STX 4x4 is my hope, otherwise I'll be buying a Frontier if the current model is still in production. Love the F-150, just don't "need" it that bad to pay the extra $5-$10k for it.
The Frontier is a pretty great option if you ask me and it will easily pull a 5x8 trailer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More Auto Show Coverage