2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Auxiliary fuel tank - gravity feed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 04:37 PM
jrab01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxiliary fuel tank - gravity feed

Just picked up a 2017 Lariat Super Crew FX4 PSD.

I previously had a 2012 Model and had an ATI FuelSafe Auxiliary Fuel Tank utilizing the gravity feed system.

Is anyone here running a gravity feed system in a 2017/18? It seems like more people are using a pump fed system, but I'd like some feedback from current gravity flow users.

My previous set up worked great, and I'd like to run the same set up in my new truck.

I only ask because my salesman was adamant this could not be accomplished in the new models.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Eric234
New User
my experience with a gravity fed tank

I am a firefighter and went on a call once for a gravity fed fuel tank in the bed of a truck. It was a large tank I think 100 gallons and had a leak at the base of the tank where the hose line connected. There was no way to patch the leak and we had to pump the entire tank out to stop it from leaking. We ended up putting it into garbage cans and then had to call a hazmat disposal company to take the fuel.

when I bought a fuel tank for my own truck I went with Transfer Flow out of Chico in California. A gravity fed tank might be cheaper buy I would personally steer clear of a gravity fed tank.

Have be a good day,

Eric

Old 02-24-2018, 12:58 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Yup that would be rough with it leaking out the bottom but I suppose a puncture could happen as well.

I don't see any reason you couldn't gravity feed with a manual or electric valve. I would probably do an electric valve to the upfitter with a backup manual.

I have never done it but that is the way I would do it unless I was using my tank to fuel up other vehicle.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:22 PM
Anthony W
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your salesman is a clown lol. Yes it can be done. I have it on my 450. My 17 F450 has 108,000 miles, with 107,000 coming with the 95 gallon L tank installed with a gravity feed system. You should always have a ball valve installed directly into the tank, then run the fuel line. Very easy to set up.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:03 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Gravity feed on my current and last truck - gravity feed on the next truck as well.

I use a solenoid with a backup 1/4 turn valve in case I have to remove the tank for any reason or a line failure.

Don't see how a tank with a pump couldn't have the same type of failure and or leak. And in my expeierence I have seen more issues with main tanks being fed by auxiliary tanks with pumps operated by inattentive people. Both fire expeierence and oil spill contracting, surface and marine.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:16 PM
hinsong
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My tank is gravity fed and I have no issues at all with it. I have an electric selinoid hooked to upfitter 5 so I can let it fill with the truck powered off (stopped at rest area or for lunch or something). Mine is a smaller tank (34 gal, i think) that fits under a toolbox and I love it. I drove 600 miles round trip pulling a gooseneck trailer on the way home last weekend with no fill up and had 1/2 tank left when I got home. One of my favorite upgrades. My wife is going to hate it, though...fewer bathroom breaks!

Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 AM
jrab01
Senior User
Originally Posted by hinsong
My tank is gravity fed and I have no issues at all with it. I have an electric selinoid hooked to upfitter 5 so I can let it fill with the truck powered off (stopped at rest area or for lunch or something). Mine is a smaller tank (34 gal, i think) that fits under a toolbox and I love it. I drove 600 miles round trip pulling a gooseneck trailer on the way home last weekend with no fill up and had 1/2 tank left when I got home. One of my favorite upgrades. My wife is going to hate it, though...fewer bathroom breaks!
That sounds like a pretty nice set up. On my last truck, I was just running a 1/4 turn ball valve into a small inline filter in my bed. After leaving the filter it went into the gravity feed pop-off valve and I never had any issues.

I'll order my tank, and who knows I might finally throw up some pictures when I get it installed.

I appreciate all the other feed back.

Cheers.
J

Old 12-24-2021, 09:53 AM
harleyjoeky
Tuned
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts
Aux fuel tank

Reviving this thread. I ordered a new 22 f-350 deisel. Already have a 30 gallon small footprint aux tank. my problem is unique I guess. I know I can install the gravity feed using the kits that you can get on amazon, BUT:
My tank only has a ¼" npt drain, and it appears that all the kits call for 3/8" drain. I know I can get a step up adapter for the drain valve, but am concerned about the flow rate. Will it keep up or is it going to bee just too slow.
Also thought of perhaps drilling out the internal adapter to the same size as the 3/8"
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:08 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

I doubt it will make much of a difference. When the tank is full it will have a higher head pressure and drain quicker. I found with my tanks (45 gallon) with a 3/8" port and flowing through a solenoid then down to a 5/16" fuel line that the tank will drain into the main tank faster than I can burn it towing a wide body 5th wheel running 8-10 mpg when full. I tend to not turn on the tank until 20-30 miles using the frame tank to drop the level some, then I'll just leave the auxiliary on. If I'm still using auxiliary fuel (based on miles traveled) I'll turn off the auxiliary 20 miles or so before our destination to make sure fuel isn't sitting in the filler neck. eventually I turn on the tank and just leave it on.

Note on the newer trucks several have found fuel leaks of 'full' tanks, mine included. Dealer blamed it on the auxiliary tank even though it was empty for weeks. The vent on the top of my tank was leaking and eventually the brown cap on the valve fell off. I piut a piece of fuel line on the valve up to the auxiliary tanks vent line to solve the leak issue.

Thew tank you have pictured looks similar to what I have ordered and twice came in damaged and was returned.

Whose tank is ti?

Old 12-24-2021, 12:15 PM
harleyjoeky
Tuned
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts
Who’s tank

It’s from a company called Handy. They no longer make ‘em but I couldn’t pass it up for 150 bucks.

Old 12-24-2021, 01:31 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

For $150 I wouldn't worry too much about a slow drain.

I'm still trying to get one undamaged.

Old 12-24-2021, 02:12 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
A 1/4" hole can drain a lot of fuel if the system is set up properly. I had a 91 gallon aux tank on my 2002 that I set up to gravity feed for years. I finally switched over to a Holley fuel pump that I mounted in the bed and would flip a switch in the cab and pump the fuel from the aux to the main. Some folks just leave them open and others will open and close them when needed. I would run my gravity feed closed and would open the valve, fill the main, then shut it off.

The following users liked this post: