Fluid Film Undercoating - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Fluid Film Undercoating

Old 02-22-2018, 02:05 PM
95fiveoh
Senior User
95fiveoh is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fluid Film Undercoating

Anyone here using Fluid Film as undercoating? When I redid my '95 F150 over the summer I painted the frame with a rust stop type product, and it is already bleeding through. I haven't driven the truck even 50 miles since I applied it. I am considering just coating the whole frame with some flat black Rust-Oleum, and then spraying the entire underside with Fluid Film once a year. My main concern is preserving the metal. The frame had to be patched in some spots and I don't want it developing any new holes. Any thoughts or experience with Fluid Film? What about used motor oil? I have a ton laying around, and I know some guys swear by it, others say it's acidic or something and does more harm than good. I know its messy, but messy beats rusty!

Old 02-22-2018, 03:23 PM
grumpyinme.
Senior User
grumpyinme. is starting off with a positive reputation.
you have to replay every year,try a rust inhibitor first,then what ever,I use rusfre,to each his own.it is a good product

Old 02-22-2018, 04:47 PM
95fiveoh
Senior User
I don't mind reapplying the fluid Film yearly if it really works. The fluid Film application is easy, there is no prep other than hose it off.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:04 PM
brokeasajoke
Elder User
brokeasajoke is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is my second year with it. I bought the gallon size and applied with a cheapo campbell hausfeld pressure feed spray gun. Just picked up a jeep liberty that' gonna be my wife's snow ride and it's gonna get the same treatment. Learned my lesson with my sport trac which rusted through the axle tubes and leaked out my gear oil. It took a half gallon to do my 87 f250 super cab long wheel base.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:27 PM
95fiveoh
Senior User
Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
This is my second year with it. I bought the gallon size and applied with a cheapo campbell hausfeld pressure feed spray gun. Just picked up a jeep liberty that' gonna be my wife's snow ride and it's gonna get the same treatment. Learned my lesson with my sport trac which rusted through the axle tubes and leaked out my gear oil. It took a half gallon to do my 87 f250 super cab long wheel base.
Thanks for the reply. My truck is a super cab long bed. I was gonna buy two gallons but knowing it only took you 1/2 a gallon, I'll just buy one pail. I have a Wagner paint sprayer but it's pretty old and I don't know if it still works. Otherwise I'll just buy a cheap harbor freight paint sprayer. My truck was super rusty when I bought it and I replaced the entire bed, the tailgate, the floors, the cab corners, the rockers, the cab mount supports and the core support, and I want to protect my investment. I painted the undercarriage and frame with a POR15 type product when did all the work, but the rust is already bleeding through again.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:27 PM
druggles85
Junior User
druggles85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Haven't on the current truck, sure I'm not done welding on that one yet, lol.

I'm a believer in Fluid Film, I was first introduced to it while working on an outdoor Salmon farm in Nova Scotia, we were floating on salt water in all kinds of s#it weather, and we spayed that stuff on our pressure washers and generators, the deep cycle batteries for our 12V cameras, and basically any piece of equipment we didn't want to corrode... That's why I believe the stuff works.

Of course the best thing you can do to prevent rust is keep things clean and painted. It's a little too late for that for most of the things I own.

you definitely need to reapply every year, and try to make sure it's going to be dry for a couple of days after. I once had my 93 Bronco undercoated, then the very next day drove through a puddle deep enough to get my feet wet. That washed all the undercoating off, lol

I own a 1978 Chevette... yeah one of those s#itbox cars that came with rust installed from the factory. I keep it undercoated and it hasn't changed much in the nearly 4 years I've owned it, but is a little slimy to work on.

So that's my opinion and why I have it. YMMV.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
The gallon is really going to do you NO GOOD unless you have a way to get INSIDE the doors, cab corners, rear wheel wells Fenders, radiator support etc.

I buy the spray cans with the 24" flexible wand

Old 02-22-2018, 06:27 PM
95fiveoh
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
The gallon is really going to do you NO GOOD unless you have a way to get INSIDE the doors, cab covers, rear wheel wells Fenders, radiator support etc.

I buy the spray cans with the 24" flexible wand
Well I can obviously buy some aerosol cans, as they are always in stock at Lowe's. But I don't want to be spraying that enormous amount of surface area out of spray cans, lol. I'll take the door panels off to spray inside the doors. The radiator support and fenders are easily accessible as are the rear wheel arches just by removing the plastic splash shields. I may have to remove the interior panels to get inside the cab corners but that's not really a big deal.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 PM
95fiveoh
Senior User
Originally Posted by druggles85 View Post
Haven't on the current truck, sure I'm not done welding on that one yet, lol.

I'm a believer in Fluid Film, I was first introduced to it while working on an outdoor Salmon farm in Nova Scotia, we were floating on salt water in all kinds of s#it weather, and we spayed that stuff on our pressure washers and generators, the deep cycle batteries for our 12V cameras, and basically any piece of equipment we didn't want to corrode... That's why I believe the stuff works.

Of course the best thing you can do to prevent rust is keep things clean and painted. It's a little too late for that for most of the things I own.

you definitely need to reapply every year, and try to make sure it's going to be dry for a couple of days after. I once had my 93 Bronco undercoated, then the very next day drove through a puddle deep enough to get my feet wet. That washed all the undercoating off, lol

I own a 1978 Chevette... yeah one of those s#itbox cars that came with rust installed from the factory. I keep it undercoated and it hasn't changed much in the nearly 4 years I've owned it, but is a little slimy to work on.

So that's my opinion and why I have it. YMMV.
Slimy is better than rusty. I really don't mind getting some grease on me while I'm working on my truck if it means my truck isn't going to rust to pieces.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:47 PM
1hot57
New User
1hot57 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just bought a F250 from Georgia

The truck is rust free so i wanted to rustproof it as good sa i could. So after a lot of research i decided to spray Fluid Film it was ez to spray and looks very good. Time will tell if it works.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:07 PM
95fiveoh
Senior User
Anyone have experience with Ospho? It's phosphoric acid, its supposed to chemically neutralize the rust. I wonder if it would be of any benefit on its own or in addition to Fluid Film?

Old 02-22-2018, 07:12 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 95fiveoh View Post
Well I can obviously buy some aerosol cans, as they are always in stock at Lowe's. But I don't want to be spraying that enormous amount of surface area out of spray cans, lol. I'll take the door panels off to spray inside the doors. The radiator support and fenders are easily accessible as are the rear wheel arches just by removing the plastic splash shields. I may have to remove the interior panels to get inside the cab corners but that's not really a big deal.

no need to remove ANYTHING. You put the wand in the drain holes

As for the bed wheel wells, again, unless you have the 24" flexible wand a gallon will do no good.

You do not need to spray the large panels as they are covered with paint. You need to get to the nooks and crannies that have nothing and where the salt/moisture gets and starts the rust. I know what I am am doing. I have been using the stuff for 10+ years with great results

Old 02-22-2018, 07:23 PM
95fiveoh
Senior User
no need to remove ANYTHING. You put the wand in the drain holes

As for the bed wheel wells, again, unless you have the 24" flexible wand a gallon will do no good.

You do not need to spray the large panels as they are covered with paint. You need to get to the nooks and crannies that have nothing and where the salt/moisture gets and starts the rust. I know what I am am doing. I have been using the stuff for 10+ years with great results
Sounds good, I just ordered the wand from Amazon, $16.30 with Prime. I'll run by Lowe's and pick up some aerosols maybe tomorrow. This Pennsylvania road salt is just nasty, awful stuff. Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-22-2018, 07:51 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
The Ca Cl is MUCH worse than the salt

Old 02-22-2018, 09:46 PM
95fiveoh
Senior User
The Ca Cl is MUCH worse than the salt
They use a mix here, depends on how cold it gets. A lot of the municipalities are using brine now which is supposed to be really bad. I try to avoid driving the truck as much as I can whenever there is salt on the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fluid Film Undercoating

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.