Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid Film Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:56 PM
abranz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They salt heavily in N Idaho. I apply fluid film every year or two and it does slow corrosion very well. I’ve tried por15, rust bullet, and epoxy primers which all failed. In fact I never paint anything under the vehicles I use during winter as they all fail irregardless of prep. Rinse the underside of the truck in the spring and it will last.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:35 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
they been using that ca cl mix here too bad stuff.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:45 AM
Bruce W.
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by abranz
They salt heavily in N Idaho. I apply fluid film every year or two and it does slow corrosion very well. I’ve tried por15, rust bullet, and epoxy primers which all failed. In fact I never paint anything under the vehicles I use during winter as they all fail irregardless of prep. Rinse the underside of the truck in the spring and it will last.
"Regardless" of prep in Midwest, too...the salt brine applied to the roads here dries out and is like driving in a dust storm of salt...gets EVERYWHERE...into every possible crack...inside and out. Then it attracts moisture. Now you have rust EVERYWHERE...under the hood, the dash, seats, behind door panels...run your finger over any surface...taste it...SALT. I rinse and clean as much as I can, too...but the salt dust gets into places you can't possibly access to clean. Thanks all for the info on Fluid Film and its application...I'll CK that out.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:07 AM
grumpyinme.
Senior User
if you have a ford super cab take out the side panels and remove the foam ford put in the bottom of panels it holds moisture,and blockes off drain holes I did it to both my super cabs,no more rusted out cab corners.get the foam out first

Old 02-23-2018, 08:04 AM
95fiveoh
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpyinme.
if you have a ford super cab take out the side panels and remove the foam ford put in the bottom of panels it holds moisture,and blockes off drain holes I did it to both my super cabs,no more rusted out cab corners.get the foam out first
​​​​​​I actually had to rebuild the entire bottom rear of the cab as the inner and outer cab corners were totally rotted. I had to use some body foam in a couple spots as there was no proper way to seal them otherwise, but I used a closed cell 2K structural pillar foam from 3M, so it doesn't hold any moisture. It was expensive, about $100 a tube from the auto body parts supplier. I didn't just use some "Great Stuff" from Home Depot. I then seam sealed everything, painted with SEM Rust Trap, and topcoated with Gravitex. I then sprayed Transtar Amber Rustproofing all inside the cavity. Here's some pictures-

Old 02-23-2018, 08:14 AM
95fiveoh
Elder User
​​​​Here's one of the driver's side rear. It was totally detached from the floor.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:17 AM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
^ Nice work ^

Old 02-23-2018, 08:23 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've used Fluid Film for 7-8 yrs. My '89 F150 came from down south and the frame was still shiny black. I sprayed it twice a year and when I sold it, it was still rust free and that is a marvel after 7 yrs in Ohio weather. I cut it about 50% with used motor oil(I have plenty to get rid of).

I've sprayed my '95 and it is the same way. It won't stop rust that has started, but will keep clean metal rust free.

Yes, it does make a mess but considering the options I put up with it.

I remove the tailgate panel and brush it on thick, I pull the door panels too. inside the front fenders, front of hood, I drill a hole in the upper inner fender of the bed and spray around the top of the lip and put a body plug in. It seeps out for quite a while, but it won't rot once the seams are full.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:45 AM
95fiveoh
Elder User
Originally Posted by Briansshop
^ Nice work ^
Thank you, it was a ton of work and a lot of fabricating and welding, but I'm really glad I saved it from going to the scrap yard. I did a full write-up on the truck but it didn't seem to generate much interest-

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1519227-my-1995-f150-project-before-and-after-picture-heavy.html

​​​​​​Thanks freightrain, looks like Fluid Film is going to be the way to go.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 AM
grumpyinme.
Senior User
very nice job,a pat on the back

Old 02-23-2018, 12:37 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 95fiveoh

​​​​​​Thanks freightrain, looks like Fluid Film is going to be the way to go.
Ya, don't forget it will stink inside for a week too when you do the doors. It goes away after awhile.

I do recall your post, your link didn't work.....I added the missing "L" on the end:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ure-heavy.html

Old 02-23-2018, 03:51 PM
95fiveoh
Elder User
Originally Posted by Freightrain
Ya, don't forget it will stink inside for a week too when you do the doors. It goes away after awhile.

I do recall your post, your link didn't work.....I added the missing "L" on the end:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ure-heavy.html
Yeah, I'm familiar with the smell, it doesn't bother me a whole lot. Thanks for fixing the link, my copy and paste skills aren't top notch, lol.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 PM
95fiveoh
Elder User
Originally Posted by grumpyinme.
very nice job,a pat on the back
Thank you, it was a lot of work, but I honestly couldn't be happier with the end result.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:40 PM
abranz
Senior User
Beautiful repair you did. I should note from my previous post I do use por15 on the inside of panels and floors and I’ve found it to hold up well to prevent corrosion, just not underneath the vehicle. I’ve found fluid film to work far better than any paint on the undercarriage.
I’m not exaggerating when I say how much salt they use. When they brine is wet it’s like driving when it’s raining only you cannot keep the window clean and on very cold dry days it’s damn near liking driving on a dirt road with all the salt dust kicked up from vehicles ahead. Totally irresponsible and gross overuse of the de-icing agents where I live. Good for the economy though as it destroys roads, bridges, watersheds, vegetation, and vehicles.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:32 AM
grumpyinme.
Senior User
Abranz,you are so so right

Quick Reply: Fluid Film Undercoating