1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wait to start light/ cold weather no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 05:19 PM
John Paul Halloran
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait to start light/ cold weather no start

I found this thread from 2006 and my truck is doing same exact thing. I dont know how they fixed it.. can anybody help

"It is a 2001 7.3. couple of months ago noticed that after driving rig for long enough for it to warm up if I stopped for a quick errand and came back out it wouldn't start again. Took about 5 minutes till it would turn over. As things have progressed I have discovered that when this occurs the 'water in fuel' light does not do its momentary light up when I turn on the ignition. In fact the truck will ONLY start when this light comes on. The manual with the truck says

"THe light should always illuminate at least momentarily when the engine is cold and the ignition is turned ON. If it does not iluminate, the glow plug system should be checked and repaired promptly to avoid difficulty in cold starting."

Course it starts just fine from a cold start. If engine is hot and that water in fuel light doesn't flash on the glow plug light doesn't go out and all it will do is crank.

Trying but no success in finding out why the water in fuel light FAILING to come on indicates a problem with the glow plug system and what those problems may be

I have drained the water. Although the water in fuel light only does it's cursory 'system check' when all the lights come on upon ignition and then go out. Twice it has come on while driving and I was so paranoid I pulled right over and drained it (once with container, once w/out).

The anomoly seems to be that if the water in fuel light doesn't come on when I start the truck it won't start.

Also seems like I might be imagining it but it seems to take longer till I can start it if im on incline.. I think that had to do with the oil sensors in the oil pan/sump.
rolling to level surface usually fixes that..

Old 02-21-2018, 05:28 PM
John Paul Halloran
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Paul Halloran
I found this thread from 2006 and my truck is doing same exact thing. I dont know how they fixed it.. can anybody help

"It is a 2001 7.3. couple of months ago noticed that after driving rig for long enough for it to warm up if I stopped for a quick errand and came back out it wouldn't start again. Took about 5 minutes till it would turn over. As things have progressed I have discovered that when this occurs the 'water in fuel' light does not do its momentary light up when I turn on the ignition. In fact the truck will ONLY start when this light comes on. The manual with the truck says

"THe light should always illuminate at least momentarily when the engine is cold and the ignition is turned ON. If it does not iluminate, the glow plug system should be checked and repaired promptly to avoid difficulty in cold starting."

Course it starts just fine from a cold start. If engine is hot and that water in fuel light doesn't flash on the glow plug light doesn't go out and all it will do is crank.

Trying but no success in finding out why the water in fuel light FAILING to come on indicates a problem with the glow plug system and what those problems may be

I have drained the water. Although the water in fuel light only does it's cursory 'system check' when all the lights come on upon ignition and then go out. Twice it has come on while driving and I was so paranoid I pulled right over and drained it (once with container, once w/out).

The anomoly seems to be that if the water in fuel light doesn't come on when I start the truck it won't start.

Also seems like I might be imagining it but it seems to take longer till I can start it if im on incline.. I think that had to do with the oil sensors in the oil pan/sump.
rolling to level surface usually fixes that..
have the same exact issue down including the incline in the driveway.
I thought it was my igniton switch so i changed that. The then the truck started (not realizing if i waited 3 mins it would've started anyway)
Then the next morning it did it again.
i did still not know about the 3mins issue but it makes sense... i changed the GPR. It started.
The next morning no start, again...
I read a thread about the incline so I rolled it down the driveway after trying several times. I took away the incline... then it started
then the next morning no start again..
My truck is not popping chk engine light. My scanner code reads p0605
(Internal module ROM error which is related to the factory tune)
I have a performance tuner with a gun dial as well...
So leaves me to believe my tuner is causing a problem..
What was your final issue. how did you resolve the problem..