North/South, East/West navigation instructions often reversed in Sync3

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:39 PM
Stanbro
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North/South, East/West navigation instructions often reversed in Sync3

I have a 2017 SuperDuty with a Sync3 navigation system. My wife and I are 16,000 miles into an RV trip around the entire perimeter of the U.S.

We have used the navigation system extensively during our trip and have found that North/South and East/West are often reversed in the voice turn-by-turn instructions. For example, just today we were leaving Albuquerque, heading toward Las Cruces. The voice instruction we received was to "Head North on I-25 toward Las Cruces". The actual route required us to head South and was correctly indicated on the textual turn list. Then, later, we were instructed to "Head West on NM-133" when we actually needed to head East. Again, the textual turn list was correct.

This reversal of directions is only occasional which makes it really confusing. I often have to take my eyes off the road and look at the turn list on the navigation screen to make sure the voice instruction is correct. When traveling at freeway speeds and in dense traffic it can be kind of dangerous, especially if it tells me the wrong direction and I get in a certain lane only to find I need to quickly move to another lane. Not to mention actually turning the wrong direction! That has happened a few times and I am really pissed when I discover I am going the wrong direction. Of course, the navigation system points this after the error and reroutes accordingly.

I updated the Sync3 software to the most current version (2.3) and the problem persisted.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Old 02-25-2018, 10:03 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Stanbro
I have a 2017 SuperDuty with a Sync3 navigation system. My wife and I are 16,000 miles into an RV trip around the entire perimeter of the U.S.

We have used the navigation system extensively during our trip and have found that North/South and East/West are often reversed in the voice turn-by-turn instructions. For example, just today we were leaving Albuquerque, heading toward Las Cruces. The voice instruction we received was to "Head North on I-25 toward Las Cruces". The actual route required us to head South and was correctly indicated on the textual turn list. Then, later, we were instructed to "Head West on NM-133" when we actually needed to head East. Again, the textual turn list was correct.

This reversal of directions is only occasional which makes it really confusing. I often have to take my eyes off the road and look at the turn list on the navigation screen to make sure the voice instruction is correct. When traveling at freeway speeds and in dense traffic it can be kind of dangerous, especially if it tells me the wrong direction and I get in a certain lane only to find I need to quickly move to another lane. Not to mention actually turning the wrong direction! That has happened a few times and I am really pissed when I discover I am going the wrong direction. Of course, the navigation system points this after the error and reroutes accordingly.

I updated the Sync3 software to the most current version (2.3) and the problem persisted.

Has anyone else seen this issue?
Sorry to hear that you`re having this problem but one should never put their trust totally into any "Factory" navigation system.

Also, if you`re going to be traveling to different places that require long distance driving, you really should have more than one source of navigation because you`ll be amazed how much they can differ.

If you have a smart phone or a tablet, you really should put the same routes into those other two items because they`ll either use Apple Maps or Google Maps and those navigation systems are updated more frequently that any factory navigation.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:31 AM
Stanbro
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
Sorry to hear that you`re having this problem but one should never put their trust totally into any "Factory" navigation system.

Also, if you`re going to be traveling to different places that require long distance driving, you really should have more than one source of navigation because you`ll be amazed how much they can differ.

If you have a smart phone or a tablet, you really should put the same routes into those other two items because they`ll either use Apple Maps or Google Maps and those navigation systems are updated more frequently that any factory navigation.

Hope this helps.
Gee . . . thanks for schooling me on navigation.

My question was if anyone else has witnessed this intermittent problem.

I was hoping that if at least a few others have witnessed it, we might be able to bring some pressure to have it investigated and fixed. Based on the total lack of response, that aint happening.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:10 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Stanbro
Gee . . . thanks for schooling me on navigation.

My question was if anyone else has witnessed this intermittent problem.

I was hoping that if at least a few others have witnessed it, we might be able to bring some pressure to have it investigated and fixed. Based on the total lack of response, that aint happening.
Sorry for being sympathetic to your problem and trying to offer you some help by suggesting you look beyond factory navigation.

As you stated, you were the one going in the wrong direction because you`re so determined to put your faith in the factory navigation but if you had taken my advice about using other navigation devices which you didn`t use because you thanked me for "schooling" you on navigation, you would not have had your issues with going the wrong way.

You don`t need anyone else to help you bring pressure to an issue that you`re having with your factory navigation. Just take it into your Ford dealer and have it repaired under or out of warranty but don`t use the Factory navigation to get to your local Ford dealer because you be heading east when you should be going west.