buying used ford TarusX / Freestyle - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Crossovers
Reload this Page >

buying used ford TarusX / Freestyle

Notices
Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:28 PM
chrlsful
Postmaster
chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.

Looking at these vehicles (basically the same body wise).
Like the AWD.

Don't know where to get free reliable reviews, thought I'd ask my brothers here. Realize that they're quite different underneath and am after a reliable, durable, fairly spacious, yet low/inexpensive-to-maintain vehicle. All the station wagons are gone & can't afford a Flex...

I hear the duratex is a good motor (but in this biga rig?).
Thanks for yer input!

Old 02-24-2018, 08:25 AM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.
chris, I have an older Explorer, a newer Edge and the son has an older Taurus. All seem to be very good vehicles. Very few problems. I have a F150 and love it ... it has had many more problems than the Edge and Taurus......... one thing I have noticed is the number of comments and posts on this blog site.... On the F150 page I see 2-3-4 post PER DAY........ on this Edge/ Taurus site you might see 2-3 posts a MONTH..... either NOBODY with theses cars works on them, or they have very few problems....... I go with the very few problems idea.

Our EDGE is not a 4 wheel drive. I seem to remember some leakage problems on the older 4 wheel drive models, gone now. Motor and transmission all seem GREAT.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:29 AM
chrlsful
Postmaster
chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks for the post Steve (I'm "Chad" - in the "chris" the "i" is actually an "L", 's ok, many get it wrong).

Edge & now Explorer (current) were/are used by the local/state police round here. Like the ol crown vic...
Not much on the TaurusX/Freestyle. May B "stay away" is the safe bet. You're sayin the Taurus is the same (next iteration) as the Edge?
Tnnx again!

Old 03-03-2018, 02:45 PM
DevilDog556
Senior User
DevilDog556 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stay away if it has a CVT.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:13 PM
chrlsful
Postmaster
engine troubles?

Thanks for the post.
I saw dual variable cam timing in the 'newer' duratech (3.5 or .7L) called ecoboost now, I guess?
I heard 300 HP, 30 MPGs? (must B a turbo?) "Stay Away?"

How bout the rest of the vehicle? I got no reference on either.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:22 PM
DevilDog556
Senior User
Originally Posted by chrlsful View Post
Thanks for the post.
I saw dual variable cam timing in the 'newer' duratech (3.5 or .7L) called ecoboost now, I guess?
I heard 300 HP, 30 MPGs? (must B a turbo?) "Stay Away?"

How bout the rest of the vehicle? I got no reference on either.
As far as I remember, there wasn't an ecoboost Taurus X/Freestyle. Maybe a 3.5L Duratec with 260-265hp. 30mpg? Don't bet on it.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:38 PM
chrlsful
Postmaster
"...I saw dual variable cam timing..."
is this what U were posting about?

"...Stay away if it has a CVT...."
some do some don't, care to enlighten further?
Thnx~

Old 03-03-2018, 06:59 PM
DevilDog556
Senior User
I never said anything about Dual Variable Cam Timing. I said stay away if it has A CVT. CVT standing for continuosly variable transmission.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:42 PM
chrlsful
Postmaster
Transmission - what bout dat motor?

Ahhh, thank you.
Was that a ford or mazda made problem?
I never saw a CVT on such a lrg displacement engine w/the 'big 3'.

Last edited by chrlsful; 03-03-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 03-03-2018, 08:44 PM
DevilDog556
Senior User
Originally Posted by chrlsful View Post
Ahhh, thank you.
Was that a ford or mazda made problem?
I never saw a CVT on such a lrg displacement engine w/the 'big 3'.
As far as I know it was a Ford issue. Never seen a Mazda with a CVT. Ford only used the CVT for a brief period of time as they were faceing catastrophic problems pretty quickly.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:04 AM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.
I do own a 05 freestyle and they are nice cars. It has been really trouble free just normal maintenance. I have 150k on it. I have had an issue with the metatronics in the CVT but that’s about it on the major repairs. They are underpowered with the 3.0 but then again it’s not a race car.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:24 PM
chrlsful
Postmaster
help w/purchase decision

thank you, yes, that is helpful.

I am lookin for an 'econo box' so a 'race car' is not of interest. I seek a big box to haul stuff/have 'move around room' inside. Am I correct - it has a hood, unlike a van that needs servicing from the passenger's compartment? You report the vehicle as reliable, that's a need due to my very limited income.

So I'm getting the idea the transmission (if CVT) needs attention @ the metatronics component - what's the cost involvement there?
Can a Shade Tree Mechanic I do it in their garage equipped w/a lift?

Old 03-11-2018, 01:41 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.
It does have a hood with full access to the engine compartment there is no way to access the engine from the inside of the vehicle. The CVT is a very complicated transmission that not many people know how to work on and if it goes the price is more than the car is worth. The metatronics is easy to get to once you pull the pan and easy to install but they do run about $1000 then need to be programmed at a dealership since the TCM is part of the unit. I did luck out when I had to do mine and found a unit a junkyard so it was programmed already. I have also changed the fluid in the CVT and both filters. They are fluid and level specific. Google the website “myfordfreestyle.com” they have a lot of good info over there.

The center seats fold forward and the rear sets fold forward and flat so it can hold quite a bit of stuff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: