1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1A Auto Warning mirror upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:52 PM
Low Timer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1A Auto Warning mirror upgrade

Good evening everyone. Sorry to say I have a problem with 1A Auto I feel others need to consider. There are many threads on this forum concerning upgrading our mirrors to the newer style with great how to instructions. I performed the mirror upgrade from information I learned from this site. After I installed the power folding mirrors purchased from 1A Auto, my passenger mirror folds much slower than the driver mirror. When I installed the mirrors, I used Ford mirror switch & relay parts as well as 16 awg wire which is heavier than factory. I do electrical work and can easily read wiring diagrams and had zero problems adding the folding circuit. After all, the folding circuit is very simple and explained very well even without a wiring diagram. Also, I created factory connectors to connect to the mirror connector. I made no modifications or cut any wires on the 1A Auto mirrors. I contacted 1A Auto to inquire about the slower folding mirror. To make a long story short, I was told in multiple emails since my truck was not originally equipped with power folding mirrors, the warranty is void on the mirrors. The only note I see on 1A Auto’s website when purchasing these mirrors was some functions may not work if not equipped. I have read multiple posts on these forums from 1A Auto responding to people doing these upgrades to feel free to ask if there are any questions on their mirrors.

1A Auto is very happy when people are using their mirrors for the upgrades, but not posting they will not honor their warranty. I’m sure there have been many pairs of mirrors purchased for these mirror upgrades. I did email customer support during my upgrade to inquire about the warranty. At the time, I was considering cutting the 1A Auto connector off to wire without connectors or use a different style molex connector. I was informed by 1A Auto customer service I needed to leave the connector on the mirror or the warranty would be void. I did leave the connector on the mirror and made a Ford style connector to make the connection. Now, 1A Auto states I do not have a warranty on my expensive mirrors because my truck was not originally equipped with mirrors.

I feel with the multiple threads that have been posted here on mirror upgrades and 1A Auto has responded, 1A Auto should have let people know the warranty is void if your truck is not originally equipped.

To say the least, I’m not happy and trying to give everyone a heads up if you are considering 1A Auto mirrors on an upgrade.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:44 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
For what it’s worth, I have the oem folding mirrors on my 2011 F350, and the passenger side has always folded/moved slower than the driver’s side. They do not fold/unfold in tandem. Just a few seconds difference.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:58 AM
CollinsCD
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by seville009
For what it’s worth, I have the oem folding mirrors on my 2011 F350, and the passenger side has always folded/moved slower than the driver’s side. They do not fold/unfold in tandem. Just a few seconds difference.
Good to know that I'm not the only one with mirrors that don't fold in the same amount of time. That always bothered me a bit and thought it was just my truck.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:40 AM
Highlife4me
New User
Yep, my 2014 is the same way, passenger side is about 1.5 seconds longer to fold and unfold. It doesn't really bother me but if/or when they start to act different I will start to worry.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:15 AM
Low Timer
New User
Thanks for posting about the folding speed of the mirrors. I contacted 1A Auto to inquire If the folding speed was normal, but the conversation turned into my warranty is now void because my truck was not originally equipped with folding mirrors. I wasn’t asking 1A Auto for a replacement, but a question on the folding speed. Never did get my question answered about the folding speed since the conversation quickly changed to my warranty being void. One of the reasons I purchased 1A Auto mirrors was the warranty.

Looking over 1A Auto product listing for the mirrors, I see no reference to the warranty being voided if the vehicle is not originally equipped. The description states the mirror may not function correctly if the vehicle was not originally equipped. Read the warranty would be void if the part was modified, but no modifications to the mirror have been made.

Thanks again for posting about the folding speed.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:59 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The pass side sticks out farther (the angle is greater, since it is farther away) hence it has farther to fold/unfold.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:29 PM
mcnance865
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
The pass side sticks out farther (the angle is greater, since it is farther away) hence it has farther to fold/unfold.
This does not seem likely to me since you can just adjust the angle of the glass itself. However, I have never thought about it so I do not know for sure.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:38 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
I got a replacement for my driver's mirror from 1A. It was defective (the mirror itself did not adjust properly...would go in and out, but not up and down). I contacted them and they replace it lickety split. I asked about returning the defective mirror, and they said they didn't want it back. So I took it apart and fixed it (one of the "runners" popped off the guide. I popped it back in, and it works fine now). Anyway, sorry to hear of your experience with them.

Oh, and the replacement mirror does fold in slightly slower than the passenger side, but it's not a big enough deal for me to worry about. We're talking about a second or so.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Low Timer
New User
Thanks for the feedback on the fold speeds. I’m disappointed 1A Auto will void my warranty should anything go wrong for the simple reason of adding a folding circuit to my truck. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

Thanks again.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:20 AM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Low Timer
Thanks for the feedback on the fold speeds. I’m disappointed 1A Auto will void my warranty should anything go wrong for the simple reason of adding a folding circuit to my truck. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

Thanks again.
Think about it a second. A1 sells thousands of different parts. There's no way that you would reach someone that knows specifically about your mirror model number to give any technical support. They are low paid telemarketers. Second I understand the voiding warranty when it's being modified for a different application. The part is designed for the vehicle with that option. There is no way that the manufacturer would know if it was wired properly by the installer. When it's a direct replacement there would be no question about the installation. Your mistake was telling them you were modding the wiring to make it work. Whether you did it right or not there's no way the factory or A1 could know for sure hence it voids the warranty. I can understand that.

Now, if you had the issue I had yesterday where I ordered a locking fuel cap and a locking DEF cap from Advanced auto you might think different. Yesterday by brown truck I received their package and it only had the fuel cap in it. I called their support and was told the DEF cap was sent to my local store. I go out and find out no one knows anything about it. I call back and was told it was in a store in Missouri and I am in Kansas. Then she told me that I selected both in store pickup and home delivery. There is no way to select both. It ended with her hanging up on me. I'm still dealing with that issue today.

The point is that A1 is a sales company and one of the downsides to them is technical support. If they got it to you on time and at the right place they did their job. Never tell them you are doing a mod on the part or the it didn't come on the vehicle your are working on. Without that info you probably would have been sent a new on without question. JMO

Old 02-22-2018, 07:11 PM
Low Timer
New User
Originally Posted by Fefanatic
Think about it a second. A1 sells thousands of different parts. There's no way that you would reach someone that knows specifically about your mirror model number to give any technical support. They are low paid telemarketers. Second I understand the voiding warranty when it's being modified for a different application. The part is designed for the vehicle with that option. There is no way that the manufacturer would know if it was wired properly by the installer. When it's a direct replacement there would be no question about the installation. Your mistake was telling them you were modding the wiring to make it work. Whether you did it right or not there's no way the factory or A1 could know for sure hence it voids the warranty. I can understand that.

Now, if you had the issue I had yesterday where I ordered a locking fuel cap and a locking DEF cap from Advanced auto you might think different. Yesterday by brown truck I received their package and it only had the fuel cap in it. I called their support and was told the DEF cap was sent to my local store. I go out and find out no one knows anything about it. I call back and was told it was in a store in Missouri and I am in Kansas. Then she told me that I selected both in store pickup and home delivery. There is no way to select both. It ended with her hanging up on me. I'm still dealing with that issue today.

The point is that A1 is a sales company and one of the downsides to them is technical support. If they got it to you on time and at the right place they did their job. Never tell them you are doing a mod on the part or the it didn't come on the vehicle your are working on. Without that info you probably would have been sent a new on without question. JMO
Thanks, they used the VIN number to determine the upgrade. I haven’t read where incorrect wiring has damaged a mirror, but only lead to the mirror not functioning due to incorrect wiring. I can only think of one wiring mistake that could damage the mirror, the folding motor is wired to an always on circuit damaging the motor. I feel a person wouldn’t keep it connected long enough to damage the motor since they would hear the noise coming from the mirror. Many electrical products require some wiring with tell tale signs if wired incorrectly. If I purchased a stereo, brake controller, etc that failed after being wired into a vehicle, since most aren’t plug and play, I would expect the warranty to be honored the same as I do the mirrors.

As mentioned earlier, I emailed 1A Auto customer service about my project and matching the mirror connector. Customer service even searched for the vehicle side connector before I made my own from instructions here. I was told not to remove the mirror connector to maintain my warranty, which I can understand since I would be modifying their product.

Since I have not found any document or statement on 1A Auto’s website stating additional wiring voids the warranty, I have asked multiple times for a copy without success. 1A Auto’s website states some functions may not work correctly if vehicle is not equipped with that feature. I don’t consider may not function correctly as warranty will be voided.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the mirrors.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:34 AM
devans04250
Cross-Country
I hate to throw more mud is this bucket of water but my other truck (02 ram 1500 4x4 QC) came with standard mirrors. Last May I upgraded to tow mirrors, powered for heat, glass adjustment and power fold. My factory mirrors only had the first two as powered options. The tow mirrors weren't installed on a 1/2 ton truck and the power fold didn't come out for several years after my truck was built.
The wiring for the power fold option dead ended and is required to be spliced into the trucks wiring to function. This is clearly spelled out in the instructions that came with the upgraded mirrors. The mirrors have worked flawlessly so far. BTW, Low Timer. My passenger side mirror also takes a tad more time to cycle open and closed.
Now given all of that, how could A1 say the warranty is void. It is an upgrade part that they sell knowing fully well it will be used on trucks without those options and yes I too saw the warning that the mirrors may not work on vehicles that didn't originally come with this option. If not then when I plug in my truck information then the mirrors wouldn't or shouldn't show up in the search. Just to be clear I'm not having a warranty issue i'm just making a statement. Granted if I hooked the mirrors up, energized them and smoke came out of them then I'd say it was my fault.
Also At Low Timer,
The power fold option on my Ram mirrors are attached to an always on circuit, so far nothing bad has happened. This is in accordance with the instructions. I don't know about the Ford mirrors because I haven't pulled the trigger on those yet. My mod list is on hold for a bit while I move to another state.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:21 AM
Low Timer
New User
Originally Posted by devans04250
I hate to throw more mud is this bucket of water but my other truck (02 ram 1500 4x4 QC) came with standard mirrors. Last May I upgraded to tow mirrors, powered for heat, glass adjustment and power fold. My factory mirrors only had the first two as powered options. The tow mirrors weren't installed on a 1/2 ton truck and the power fold didn't come out for several years after my truck was built.
The wiring for the power fold option dead ended and is required to be spliced into the trucks wiring to function. This is clearly spelled out in the instructions that came with the upgraded mirrors. The mirrors have worked flawlessly so far. BTW, Low Timer. My passenger side mirror also takes a tad more time to cycle open and closed.
Now given all of that, how could A1 say the warranty is void. It is an upgrade part that they sell knowing fully well it will be used on trucks without those options and yes I too saw the warning that the mirrors may not work on vehicles that didn't originally come with this option. If not then when I plug in my truck information then the mirrors wouldn't or shouldn't show up in the search. Just to be clear I'm not having a warranty issue i'm just making a statement. Granted if I hooked the mirrors up, energized them and smoke came out of them then I'd say it was my fault.
Also At Low Timer,
The power fold option on my Ram mirrors are attached to an always on circuit, so far nothing bad has happened. This is in accordance with the instructions. I don't know about the Ford mirrors because I haven't pulled the trigger on those yet. My mod list is on hold for a bit while I move to another state.
Thanks, this has been my position with 1A Auto. The question I asked 1A Auto that started the voided warranty problem has been answered by you and others, the passenger mirror moves slower. 1A Auto has never addressed the slower movement, only keeps repeating my warranty is void since my truck was not originally equipped with folding mirrors. I’m giving others a heads up that 1A Auto says the warranty is void if the vehicle is upgraded.

Sorry for the confusion on the always on circuit. With the Ford, the circuit is always on to the power fold module, but power isn’t sent to the mirror until the mirror is commanded to fold in or out then the module removes power from the fold motors once the fold operation completes. What I meant by always on above, is a constant 12v being supplied to the power fold motors constantly attempting to fold the mirror after the mirror reached it’s limit which I believe would eventually smoke it. Maybe a better example would be pressing the down button on power windows all day with the window down. The window motor would keep trying to lower the window until the motor smoked. Hope this helps what I meant by constant on damage I was descending earlier.

Appreciate your thoughts and feedback on the slower fold movement , thanks.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:41 PM
acecase
Senior User
Question:. Do the instructions tell you how to add a circuit to enable all functions? If so, and you follow their printed instructions, then no court would uphold that you have no warranty. You might only need to call your BBB chapter or state AG.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:13 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Fefanatic
.... Now, if you had the issue I had yesterday where I ordered a locking fuel cap and a locking DEF cap from Advanced auto you might think different. Yesterday by brown truck I received their package and it only had the fuel cap in it. I called their support and was told the DEF cap was sent to my local store. I go out and find out no one knows anything about it. I call back and was told it was in a store in Missouri and I am in Kansas. Then she told me that I selected both in store pickup and home delivery. There is no way to select both. It ended with her hanging up on me. I'm still dealing with that issue today. ....
If you purchased the items on a credit card contact them and file a claim for incomplete delivery.

Quick Reply: 1A Auto Warning mirror upgrade